Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 623 [7]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Send PM
Two sides of a triangle and their included angles are 4cm, 5cm and 30d [#permalink]
IanStewart wrote:
cleetus wrote:
Two sides of a triangle and their included angles are 4cm, 5cm and 30degree resp. What is the are

A 10 B 15 C 5 D 20

Take the side of length 5 as your base. When you draw a height using this base, you will get a 30-60-90 triangle with a hypotenuse of 4. Since the short side in this triangle is our height, and since the short side in a 30-60-90 triangle is half the hypotenuse, the height is 2. So the area is 5*2/2 = 5.

A bit easier to see with a diagram of course.

HI IanStewart,
What am I missing ? If the height is 2 and the base is 5 and its a right Triangle, then Hypotenuse should be
\(\sqrt{(2^2 +5^2)}\) =\(\sqrt{29}\) but here we have 4. How ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Re: Two sides of a triangle and their included angles are 4cm, 5cm and 30d [#permalink]
Two sides of a triangle and their included angles are 4cm, 5cm and 30 degree resp. What is the are
What do you want to ask?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22056 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: Two sides of a triangle and their included angles are 4cm, 5cm and 30d [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
cleetus wrote:
Two sides of a triangle and their included angles are 4cm, 5cm and 30 degree resp. What is the are

A 10
B 15
C 5
D 20

Solution:

The area of a triangle with sides a and b and the included angle C is Area = ½ ab sin C, where sin C means “the sine of angle C.” Therefore, the area of the triangle in this problem is:

Area = ½ * 4 * 5 * sin 30 = ½ * 20 * ½ = 5

Of course, using this formula requires us to have a basic understanding of trigonometry (for example, sin 30 = ½). However, this problem can be solved without any knowledge of trigonometry. This is how:

We can let 5 be the base of the triangle and 4 be the slant side that meets the base at a 30-degree angle. Now, if we construct the height of the triangle from the endpoint of the slant side (that doesn’t meet the base) to the base, we would have a right triangle with the slant side as the hypotenuse. Furthermore, this right triangle is a 30-60-90 right triangle with the height opposite the 30-degree angle, which makes the height ½ the length of the hypotenuse (i.e., the slant side). So the height is 2 for the right triangle. However, this is also the height of the overall triangle, i.e., the triangle with sides 5 and 4 and the included angle of 30 degrees. Since the overall triangle has a base of 5 and a height of 2, then its area is ½ x 5 x 2 = 5.

Answer: C
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92945 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts