Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:18 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [27]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [13]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Current Student
Affiliations: ?
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg; Ross ($$); Tuck
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Re: Unlike the other major planets, Pluto has a highly eccentric [#permalink]
Kudos
Pluto must come right after the coma.
we are comparing pluto to other planets.
this eliminate C, D and E.
The orbit is closer to the sun or plutot is closer to the sun??
I think the sentence intends to say pluto is closer to the sun.

I choose B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
IMO B.

C, D and E is out as it should be Pluto and not orbit to planets.
A is out as orbit is compared to Neptune
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Clear Its B.. Pluto(...) is closer to the sun than Neptune is..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3225 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
C, D and E are out because comparison is between planets.

A is awkward.

B remains

Unlike the other major planets, Pluto has a highly eccentric orbit and is thus closer to the Sun than Neptune is for blah blah blah.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 812 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-16-2012
GPA: 3.05
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Unlike the other major planets, Pluto has a highly eccentric orbit, which is thus closer to the Sun than Neptune is for 20 years out of every 230-year cycle, even though it is commonly described as the remotest planet in the solar system.

(A) Pluto has a highly eccentric orbit, which is thus closer to the Sun than Neptune is
(B) Pluto has a highly eccentric orbit and is thus closer to the Sun than Neptune is
(C) Pluto's orbit is highly eccentric and is thus closer to the Sun than Neptune
(D) the orbit of Pluto is highly eccentric and thus closer to the Sun than Neptune
(E) the orbit of Pluto is highly eccentric, thus closer to the Sun than Neptune is
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8800 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
uledssul wrote:
Unlike the other major planets, Pluto has a highly eccentric orbit, which is thus closer to the Sun than Neptune is for 20 years out of every 230-year cycle, even though it is commonly described as the remotest planet in the solar system.

(A) Pluto has a highly eccentric orbit, which is thus closer to the Sun than Neptune is
(B) Pluto has a highly eccentric orbit and is thus closer to the Sun than Neptune is
(C) Pluto's orbit is highly eccentric and is thus closer to the Sun than Neptune
(D) the orbit of Pluto is highly eccentric and thus closer to the Sun than Neptune
(E) the orbit of Pluto is highly eccentric, thus closer to the Sun than Neptune is

I chose D because the comparison seems to focus on 'the other major planets' vs 'Pluto's orbit.
Now I realize, for D, "than Neptune" 'is' should have been included to convey its meaning clearly.

How do you first figure out if the comparison in the original sentence is right? I still don't understand why Pluto vs other major planets have to be compared with instead 'pluto's orbit' vs 'other planets'

Please help.

Hey uledssul,

I'm no expert at this stuff but let me try my best to explain this to you.
First of all, we need to compare other major planets to another planet. Comparing other planets to the orbit of other planets is a faulty comparison. This eliminates D and E.

Secondly, D has another problem: in making a comparison, " the orbit of Pluto is highly eccentric and thus closer to the Sun than Neptune" is comparing the orbit of Pluto with Neptune. For instance, if the sentence went something like this:
"the orbit of Pluto is highly eccentric and thus closer to the Sun than the orbit of Neptune" OR
"the orbit of Pluto is highly eccentric and thus Pluto is closer to the Sun than Neptune"

The problem with "The orbit of Pluto" is that the "orbit" becomes the main subject and "of Pluto" becomes secondary because of the use of "of" So The second example above reused the word Pluto to compare it with Neptune. (Note however, my first example above changes the meaning of the sentence.)

Now these sentences make correct comparisons and are parallel as well.

The problem with C is that we have a possessive noun "Pluto's orbit".

1. We cannot refer to a possessive noun with a pronoun.
Eg. Florida's weather is awesome. We should go there. WRONG
There cannot refer to Florida's weather.

2. It is less preferable to compare nouns with possessive nouns. (I'm not totally sure about the rule here and some expert on this forum can shed some light on this)
Basically, avoid sentences where a clause modifies a possessive noun, when there are better options around.

Now for A:
"Pluto has a highly eccentric orbit, which is thus closer to the Sun than Neptune is"
The correct use of which with a comma is to introduce a NON-ESSENTIAL modifier. First of the the main point of this sentence is comparing the distance between Pluto and Neptune to the Sun therefore, saying Pluto is closer to the sun than Neptune is an essential part of the sentence and we should not use a "which" here.
And in any case, "which is thus" is an awkward construction at best - "and is thus" is much better.

Hope this helps at least a little and good luck with studying!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 812 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT Date: 08-16-2012
GPA: 3.05
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I see. Thanks for the comment.

It helped.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
 Q47  V28 GMAT 2: 570  Q40  V29
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
uledssul wrote:

I chose D because the comparison seems to focus on 'the other major planets' vs 'Pluto's orbit.
Now I realize, for D, "than Neptune" 'is' should have been included to convey its meaning clearly.

How do you first figure out if the comparison in the original sentence is right? I still don't understand why Pluto vs other major planets have to be compared with instead 'pluto's orbit' vs 'other planets'

Please help.

i pick B. C , D and E are out because non-underlined portion of the sentence tells about the planets but in C, D and E underlined portion tells about the orbit which is not parallel. the intended meaning of the sentence is that pluto is closer to the sun than neptune not the orbit of the pluto. correct me if i am wrong
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.76
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM