Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 19 Jul 2019, 03:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Unlike the other major planets, Pluto has a highly eccentric

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Re: Unlike the other major planets, Pluto has a highly eccentric  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 05:01
Unlike the other major planets, Pluto has a highly eccentric orbit, which is thus closer to the Sun than Neptune is for 20 years out of every 230-year cycle, even though it is commonly described as the remotest planet in the solar system.

A) Pluto has a highly eccentric orbit, which is thus closer to the Sun than Neptune is -which is wrongly modifying orbit
B) Pluto has a highly eccentric orbit and is thus closer to the Sun than Neptune is -Correct
C) Pluto's orbit is highly eccentric and is thus closer to the Sun than Neptune -1. incorrect comparison between planets and orbit 2.meaning change
D) the orbit of Pluto is highly eccentric and thus closer to Sun than Neptune -1. incorrect comparison between planets and orbit 2.meaning change
E) the orbit of Pluto is highly eccentric, thus closer to the Sun than Neptune is -1. incorrect comparison between planets and orbit 2.meaning change 3.
incorrect comparison between orbit and neptune

B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 01:16
B is the correct option,
C D E are straight out since they compare 'other major planets' with Pluto's orbit.
From A & B,
A sounds like orbit is closer to the sun than neptune is.
Only B correctly compares Pluto to other planets & to Neptune
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 21:06
Unlike the other major planets, Pluto has a highly eccentric orbit, which is thus closer to the Sun than Neptune is for 20 years out of every 230-year cycle, even though it is commonly described as the remotest planet in the solar system.

A) Pluto has a highly eccentric orbit, which is thus closer to the Sun than Neptune is
B) Pluto has a highly eccentric orbit and is thus closer to the Sun than Neptune is
C) Pluto's orbit is highly eccentric and is thus closer to the Sun than Neptune
D) the orbit of Pluto is highly eccentric and thus closer to Sun than Neptune
E) the orbit of Pluto is highly eccentric, thus closer to the Sun than Neptune iss[/quote]
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 06:47
Hi,

I just have a curious concern regarding parallelism in the correct answer.

Unlike the other major planets, Pluto has a highly eccentric orbit and is thus closer to the Sun than Neptune is for 20 years out of every 230-year cycle, even though it is commonly described as the remotest planet in the solar system.

Here the following two sentences are parallel
1) Pluto has a highly eccentric orbit
2) Pluto is thus closer to sun than Neptune is are parallel.
According to the rules of parallelism cause and effect cant be parallel and thus cant be connected by "and".(Here and thus also has a similar structure. CAuse and thus Effect.)

Please correct me if I am wrong. What am I missing here?
daagh do help.
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 07:27
Top Contributor
Quote:
According to the rules of parallelism cause and effect can't be parallel and thus can't be connected by "and"

I am not clear about such a rule. If they cannot be connected by 'and' what else is the connector?

Why do you think the cause and effect can be both be nouns but not parallel and thus cannot be connected by an 'and'?

The injury was just a scratch and thus the treatment was only a band-aid bandage

He passed out after a couple of pegs and vomited profusely. Passed out was the cause and vomited is the result, both of them perfectly parallel.

Probably you are getting confused with the sentence structure wherein the cause is represented by an IC while the effect is represented by a modifier. AS the modifier spot unlikely to be a, you may feel the effect part is a fragment on the whole.

But please note that Choice B is a simple sentence with tow predicates. The second one is not an IC, It is a predicate without a subject and the subject of the first class is the subject of the second predicate.

Hope I am clear and you are also clear.
Thanks
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 08:56
Hi daagh,

Ron has mentioned in his March 1st, 2012 video(@09:55 min) that the following sentence is incorrect.

A truck crashed in front of me on the highway, and I was late to work.

According to him, those are two related actions and hence they cant be conected via "and". The sentence implies that I was late to work for some reason other than the accident.

However he did mention that "A truck crached in front of me on the highway, and hence/thus I was late to work" is correct.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2019, 02:32

A) Pluto has a highly eccentric orbit, which is thus closer to the Sun than Neptune is
B) Pluto has a highly eccentric orbit and is thus closer to the Sun than Neptune is
C) Pluto's orbit is highly eccentric and is thus closer to the Sun than Neptune
D) the orbit of Pluto is highly eccentric and thus closer to Sun than Neptune
E) the orbit of Pluto is highly eccentric, thus closer to the Sun than Neptune is
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Unlike the other major planets, Pluto has a highly eccentric   [#permalink] 02 May 2019, 02:32

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

Unlike the other major planets, Pluto has a highly eccentric

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics