Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [454]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3119 [8]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [5]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: What to do 30-14-7-3-1 Days before the gmat [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Good post, but I disagree with some of the things.
  • First, I would setup the appointment right before you start studying. That way you have a set date. If you need 3 months of studying and setup the appointment 30 days from the big day, you won't be as motivated those first two months, and not as much studying will get done. I know I wasn't the first time I took it. Then the second time, I setup the appointment way in advance and passed.
  • 1 Day before test - should be spent not thinking about the test at all. Wake up and do whatever you want. This way you're not cramming or freaking out at the last minute. That stuff can surface at test time..

I think the last 7 days should be spent doing a practice test for day, if possible. Even if you're re-doing one.

Good luck to all that are taking it soon :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [4]
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V33
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:

What to do 30-14-7-3-1 Days before the test

A collection of tips how to maximize your score and avoid score-dropping mistakes.
Keep in mind, these tips alone are not enough to give you a high GMAT score – you need to have a clear study plan, measurable results, and books or courses to study/review. This thread may add some points to your final score but most importantly, it is designed to prevent you from losing points. Some of these tips are more useful than others – feel free to skip around, and most importantly – we are all different; what works for others, may not work for you.

What to do at 30 days

• Book your appointment or at least check availability in your area. Note that some seasons/areas are in high demand and may be booked out months in advance. This was the case with me and I had to take an overnight trip to take the GMAT.
  • At this time you should be within 60 points of your target score. E.g. if you are aiming for 700, you should be scoring 640 or above. If you are still 100 points below (unless you are taking an intensive course or intensive self study plan), you should seriously looking into 1) rescheduling; 2) finding the reason for being off-target
  • What gmat club members wish they had known about the test

14 days

• Last day to reschedule the test without a penalty
  • You should have finished covering all of the material or your course work
  • If you have not already, this is a good time to start coming up with check-lists, items to memorize, and so on (some examples are here: Arithmetic to memorize; SC checklist by Whiplash)
  • At this point you should plan on taking 2 – 3 full length tests per week to polish your test-taking skills and stamina. Spend most of your time reviewing, refreshing, and doing test/mistake analysis to spot areas that need to be polished
  • Make sure you are familiar with the noteboard and how the marker works on the GMAT. You can get a set from here: https://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-GMAT-Si ... r-mr-title
  • You should be within 40 points of your target score; if you are more than 80, you need to reschedule

7 days

• Point of no return – if you cancel after today, you will NOT get any credit and your test fee will be wasted. There are very few reasons why you should reschedule your test after this point in time.

3 days

• Familiarize yourself with the environment – video and list of rules/prohibited items (very important – you don’t want to visit your locker during the break and pull out notes/phone/etc). Your test will be canceled as the result.
  • Consider a visit if that’s a part of town you never visited – find a good place to celebrate afterwards – you deserve it regardless of the score (and you will be starved at the end). Spot a starbucks if you need it before the test center
Superficial Things:
  • Food for the test center – there is a whole discussion on this as well but the bottom line is – play safe and use familiar snacks. Don’t drink energy drinks if you usually don’t drink them.

1 Days (24 hours before the test)

• If possible, the last day before the test, should be a copy of your test day experience (wake up at the same time you would for the test, eat what you would, wear the same clothes, etc).
  • Take the test at the same time as your appointment – try to take a GMAT prep if you have one left. If not, take whatever test is available. Make sure it is a full IR/AWA drill with breaks/etc.
  • After you finish, do a brief review (don’t agonize too much) and have a healthy meal. Spend the rest of the day relaxing and doing something that would be relaxing for you and keep your mind off the test.
  • It is OK to bring a few flashcards for the last set of concepts/check lists/etc for the test and glance at them/study as you go around your day but no heavy studying should be done now. For one it is too late, and two, you have a risk of not performing at the peak on the day of.
  • Athletes train and force their bodies to adapt to the training schedule and their bodies start expecting to provide a certain level of output. Then before the competition, they take it easier for a day or two to get the most of mental and physical output when it counts. Make sure the test day is your best day, not your recovery day. If you run or exercise in the mornings, don’t do the double-doze even though you may feel absolutely up for it. It will wipe you out.

The BIG Day:

• Do not arrive super early – mistake many make (more than an hour in advance (half an hour is the best to give you time for unpredictable) – you won’t be able to take the test earlier and will only spend time waiting and stressing out. If your appointment is in the morning, you will have more time to sleep and rest.
  • Do not stress out if you have not been able to fall asleep at the time like you usually do. It is a big day and most people get less sleep. Do not stress out about that. Everyone does it. That’s why it is helpful to schedule a test at least 30 days before the deadline so you can retake if you need to (not that you should plan on retaking but this should take some stress away). If you are a procrastinator and know that you won’t be motivated enough if you have a secondary date then you may want to use an opposite strategy.
  • Don't screw up - know the rules! 8-things-not-to-do-at-the-test-center-120625.html
  • Good luck!

Other Related and Helpful Posts:

1. what-to-do-for-the-last-14-days-before-the-real-test-120895.html
2. test-day-warm-up-78595.html

-------------------------------------------------
P.S. This is still being improved and edited. if you have suggestions, please PM me. Thank you!
Attachment:
deadline-gmat.jpg

Here's a little post I wrote
You might want to read it word for word
Don't worry, be happy
In every test we have some trouble
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy
Don't worry, be happy now

Oo, oo-oo-oo, oo-oo-oo, oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo
Don't worry
Oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo
Be happy
Oo-oo-oo-oo-oo
Don't worry, be happy

Ain't got no place to lay your books
Somebody came and took your desk
Don't worry, be happy
The error log say your performance is bad
You may have to reschedule
Don't worry, be happy
Look at me, I'm happy

Don't worry
Oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo
Be happy
Oo-oo-oo-oo-oo
Don't worry, be happy

Now there, is this post I wrote
I hope you learned it word for word
Like good little children
Don't worry, be happy
Listen to what I say
In your test expect some errors
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy, be happy now

Don't worry
Oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo
Be happy
Oo-oo-oo-oo-oo
Don't worry, be happy
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
up4gmat wrote:
Hi bb,

nice post! is there no penalty at all if theres rescheduling when we have >14 days to go??

Yes. there is a $50 rescheduling fee if you are more than 7 days away from the test: https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/schedule-a- ... tment.aspx

If you reschedule less than 7 days out, you lose the entire $250 :shock:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 788 [2]
Given Kudos: 70
Kudos
On the big day, it is better not to eat carbohydrates which make people sluggish.

About arriving early, it is always better to keep enough time in hand for the cities with much traffic congestion and with just one or very few test centers (statement from experience).
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5582 [2]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
One can reschedule more than 7 calendar days before the scheduled test date: US$60.00 fee (each time you reschedule)
Source: https://www.mba.com/frequently-asked-questions/making-and-changing-your-gmat-exam-appointment#question0

frrcattack wrote:
bb I believe a few of these details are outdated now. Now, you cannot reschedule 14 days or more prior to your test date without penalty. You face a $60 reschedule fee for rescheduling 7 days or more from your test date.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 550 Q36 V29
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.98
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
I do not think we can cancel GMAT Appointment free of cost any more.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Clarification on cancellation vs. rescheduling:

1. You can reschedule as long as you are more than 7 days out for a $50 fee (7 or more days before the test), otherwise, you lose all
2. You can cancel and get a refund of $80 as long as you are more than 7 days out (7 or more days before the test), otherwise, you lose all.

Originally posted by bb on 01 Aug 2013, 12:02.
Last edited by bb on 01 Aug 2013, 16:54, edited 2 times in total.
Edit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks MacFauz.. The first comment of this post saved me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

I am new here and plan to begin my GMAT prep. I mean to join a college in 2015 and hence want to know the latest (and the safest date) around which I can take the GMAT so that I may not miss any application deadline to any of the college.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
What percentage of tough questions (700+) should one expect for getting a score around 720 (Q~49,V~39)?? I have a month left for exam and want to focus on problem which are medium to hard. want to know how much should i focus (time in prepration) on hard problems?

Thanks
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5582 [1]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
UPDATE

The rescheduling fee has been revised to 60$, (7 or more days before the test), otherwise, you lose all.

bb wrote:
Clarification on cancellation vs. rescheduling:

1. You can reschedule as long as you are more than 7 days out for a $50 fee (7 or more days before the test), otherwise, you lose all
2. You can cancel and get a refund of $80 as long as you are more than 7 days out (7 or more days before the test), otherwise, you lose all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
Send PM
Hi bb,

nice post! is there no penalty at all if theres rescheduling when we have >14 days to go??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Quote:
Do not arrive super early – mistake many make (more than an hour in advance (half an hour is the best to give you time for unpredictable) – you won’t be able to take the test earlier and will only spend time waiting and stressing out. If your appointment is in the morning, you will have more time to sleep and rest.

This is not necessarily accurate. First time I went 30 mins earlier and they got me started right away. Next attempt I went an hour earlier and again I accepted the offer to get started right away. It seemed to me that as long they have a terminal free, they'll set you up.

Great post as always though :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Operations, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 05-24-2013
GPA: 3.77
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Thanks BB, exactly what i was looking for :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
this was just awesome tips for easily cover marks. Because if you read proper method than you will sure clear it. Reading is necessary but proper books choosing and it's reading is must be necessary.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I always used to sleep I won’t prepare at last night. I just go whatever it will be.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [1]
Send PM