Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When is the best time to get a MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.68
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

When is the best time to get a MBA? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 04:25
I'm currently working as a Consultant (started in August 2012) in London. I plan to move back to the States through intra-firm transfer. The career promotion track in the UK and especially London is not MBA focused as the United States. However since I am planning to move back when would be the best time (in terms of number of years of professional experiences) to apply for a MBA back in the US.

Cheers.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: AKPsi, ISA
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.53
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: When is the best time to get a MBA? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 19:30
Hey hswoo,
It all depends on what type of MBA you plan to peruse. Most MBA request that you have 3 or more years of work experience, less than that may make it difficult to show that you have enough experience, leadership, team work knowledge in the workplace to contribute to e program. You can apply with less, but it will be tougher to prove your abilities. Many applicants will have over 3 years.
If you choose to work while earning an MBA, studying part-time, many of the applicants have over 5 years. And if you choose to peruse an executive MBA, you typically need a min of 5-7 years, at least 3 of which should be in a management position.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 30

Re: When is the best time to get a MBA? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 12:01
It also depends on what caliber of school that you are hoping to attend. Obviously for top schools you will need more experience than for lower ranked schools. The typical work experience for an MBA is 4-6 years.

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: Q44 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 82

Re: When is the best time to get a MBA? [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 19:25
This post received
KUDOS
hswoo wrote:
I'm currently working as a Consultant (started in August 2012) in London. I plan to move back to the States through intra-firm transfer. The career promotion track in the UK and especially London is not MBA focused as the United States. However since I am planning to move back when would be the best time (in terms of number of years of professional experiences) to apply for a MBA back in the US.

Cheers.

There are two answers your your questions... however, neither of them are as simple and providing a number. The first, and most relevant, is however much work experience it requires for you to obtain a significant story to sell yourself to the admission committee. The second is different for every school. Go to the websites of the programs you are interested in and you will find general information on their classes including the number of years of work experience. Good luck!

kudos are appreciated

Re: When is the best time to get a MBA?   [#permalink] 08 Dec 2012, 19:25