Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [2]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.76
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Which are the colleges can I apply with my score of 640 [#permalink]
bb wrote:
I think you do.
You can apply anywhere frankly. You can apply to the Top 10 and would get in as long as you have a great resume, LOR's, and application essays

If your apps are not stellar, you should look for the average GMAT at the target schools if you are within the 80%, then you are good. If you are around the average score, you are doing well, and if above, then you are golden from that perspective, though GMAT is not everything. Remember, average GMAT is 530 (that's 50th percentile) and 640 is not a bad score and should not keep you out of any school. Just as 760 wont' guarantee an admission into any school either (as long as they are not trying to buy up gmat scores).

One thought - some of the top 70/100 schools do give scholarships to those with 700+, that could be a motivation for you.

Thanks for your advice....
I'm planning to apply to Purdue(Krarnett School of business avg gmat score was around 640+), University of California Davis, Texas A&M(avg score was bit high for this school).... The rankings of these schools were in the range 20-45 or so
Also I heard a lot abt this Avg IT Indian Male... Will this also affect my chances???
I'm planning to major in finance.....
TIA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
might I suggest IU Kelley business school? I also got a 640 and am looking to apply there. Good luck mate.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thx for your suggestions..... Wat r my chances at Purdue university??? Wat does the average gmat score signify in the various websites??? With my profile should I be above average??? Kindly suggest as to where I stand based on the profile details given in the first post... Any advice wud be very very helpful to me...

Also is there any difference between applying in R1 admissions and R2??? Kindly let me know the adv and disadv of both...

Thanks in Advance
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mbain2012a wrote:
I think A&M is a great choice given your profile. It has one of best ROIs in the country and places extremely well if you want to live in the south.

I wud love to do my MBA from Texas A&M. But Wonder if I stand a chance with my score and profile....
THx for your advice
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
schools ranking after 20 is good choice for you dude!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
azurecm wrote:
schools ranking after 20 is good choice for you dude!

I have started my procedure... My list of institutes are Smeal, UC at Irvine, UC Davis
Purdue, Texas A&M. Do I stand a fair chance of making it to these institutes. ANy info would be greatly helpful to me.

Thanks in Advance
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Send PM
People have already commented that you should have an ok change at those schools. Your biggest issue is the Indian IT Male demographic without a 740+ gmat score. The programs you mentioned may not be as critical as the M7 or T15 so you should probably be ok. The GMAT isn't the only piece of the admission process, so if you are concerned either retake it or prepare those app's!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
losttraveler wrote:
People have already commented that you should have an ok change at those schools. Your biggest issue is the Indian IT Male demographic without a 740+ gmat score. The programs you mentioned may not be as critical as the M7 or T15 so you should probably be ok. The GMAT isn't the only piece of the admission process, so if you are concerned either retake it or prepare those app's!

Thx :) for the reply. I have not taken the TOEFL yet. I was planning to take TOEFL before this month end but there are no dates availabel until Nov. Can I apply to the institutes as of now and state that I'll be sending the TOEFL score later. How will ADCOMM look at this????? Or should I apply to R2????
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Send PM
The application process won't go complete if your scores aren't entered. So to answer your question, no you can't submit without your scores submitted.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
losttraveler wrote:
The application process won't go complete if your scores aren't entered. So to answer your question, no you can't submit without your scores submitted.

HI all,
I took GMAT again recently and ended up with the same score of 640 :( :( :(
My split up this time was 49 QA and 27 VA(:( :()
Is there any chance that schools would take the best QA and VA score of my 2 attempts?
My First time score is 44 QA and 34 VA
If best scores are considered my total score might get pushed by around 40 points.
Is this possible or do schools consider this?

Also I had taken up GMAT twice and second time I had applied to few schools different from the first. Should I resend the scores to the colleges which I applied at first(since they may not have got my 2nd score?)????
Kindly clarify

Thanks in Advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.79
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hey, any updates on your applications. I too got a score of 640.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Its tough to crack top 40 univ's with this score and profile(:( from personal experience) Have a different profile or retake gmat to have score of 700+ or settle for tier 3 colleges. Might seem discouraging... but the truth that I experienced... But if u can have something different n your profile u stand a outside chance... But schools are looking for GMAT score and giving a lot more importance to it.. SO a score of 640 will not earn u a call from top 40 univ's for IT Indian Profile.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
AcetheGMAT87 wrote:
Its tough to crack top 40 univ's with this score and profile(:( from personal experience) Have a different profile or retake gmat to have score of 700+ or settle for tier 3 colleges. Might seem discouraging... but the truth that I experienced... But if u can have something different n your profile u stand a outside chance... But schools are looking for GMAT score and giving a lot more importance to it.. SO a score of 640 will not earn u a call from top 40 univ's for IT Indian Profile.

Hey,

Can you please share how many colleges revert to you? Are you done with your MBA and from where?
Please share your experience of selecting and settling for college.

Thanks
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot