Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7801 [69]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [12]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [5]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Other
Schools: University of Wisconsin (Madison) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.66
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [3]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: William Sydney Porter, who began writing while he was in prison for [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
eybrj2 wrote:
William Sydney Porter, who began writing while he was in prison for embezzlement, was seeking anonymity when he chose the pseudonym O. Henry.

(A)...
(B) was seeking that he might be anonymous when he chose
(C) was seeking for anonymity and therefore chose
(D) sought anonymity in the choosing of
(E) sought to be anonymous in that he chose

Quote:
1. What's the difference between "seeking anonymity" and seeking for anonymity" in terms of meaning?

seeking anonymity - you want to be anonymous
seeking for anonymity - seeking for anonymity as if anonymity is a lost entity e.g. seeking for pen
Quote:
2. Is the reason that C isn't the OA the part " therefore chose"? or "seeking for anonymity" also sounds awkward ?

"seeking for anonymity" is incorrect as explained above

(B) was seeking that he might be anonymous when he chose was seeking what ??
(C) was seeking for anonymity and therefore chose seeking for anonymity - INCORRECT
(D) sought anonymity in the choosing of - how can anonymity can be sought in something ??
(E) sought to be anonymous in that he chose - in that - INCORRECT
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [1]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
William Sydney Porter, who began writing while he was in prison for [#permalink]
Kudos
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma daagh Could you please explain why A is better than E?

A: Uses past continuous
E: Past tense. I don't see any distortion in meaning as compared to A.

I believe we usually prefer non-continuous verbs over continuous verbs unless continuous verbs are necessary. I believe A is correct due to verb parallelism in which we want "seeking (when)" to be parallel to "(began) writing". (2 Past Continuous Verbs).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [1]
Given Kudos: 459
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: William Sydney Porter, who began writing while he was in prison for [#permalink]
Kudos
For option A : Doesn't ' When ' sound awkward for being placed just after ' Anonymity ' ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 599
Send PM
William Sydney Porter, who began writing while he was in prison for [#permalink]
Hi Experts,

Please help me clarify why C is incorrect and why A is correct?

And one more question, how is the usage of past continuous justified here?

Thank you.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
IDIOMS, MEANING

(A) was seeking anonymity when he chose --------- CORRECT

(B) was seeking that he might be anonymous when he chose ----------- 1. "seeking + that + clause" is wrong. The correct format would be "seeking + noun" OR "seeking + infinitive". 2. Modal verb "might" makes the meaning weird (he was seeking to BE something. So he was seeking a result, not a possibility). 3. Wordy.

(C) was seeking for anonymity and therefore chose ------------ "seeking for" is an incorrect idiom. "seeking" implies "for" already.

(D) sought anonymity in the choosing of --------- 1. "sought + in + -ing" is an incorrect idiom. 2. Changes the tense of the main verb and, therefore, the meaning.

(E) sought to be anonymous in that he chose -------- 1. "in that" has a different meaning than "when". 2. Changes the tense of the main verb and, therefore, the meaning.

Hit on the Kudos if this has helpful in any way.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2334 [2]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Here's the official explanation provided by the GMAC for this question:

The sentence—which is in order in its present form—suggests that, because he had been imprisoned, William Henry Porter was seeking anonymity when he chose the pseudonym O. Henry. The verb seek has several different meanings; here, it means try to gain, a transitive meaning that requires a direct object.

Option A: Correct. The past-continuous form was seeking indicates a process; the simple-past form chose indicates an action taken at a particular point in time in that process. The noun anonymity is the direct object of was seeking.

Option B: This answer choice is wordy and unnecessarily awkward. The noun clause that he … chose is unidiomatic as a direct object of was seeking.

Option C: The preposition for is unidiomatic in this usage of seek; here, was seeking should have a direct object (that is, should not be immediately followed by a preposition).

Option D: This answer choice conveys an idea different from the one most likely intended. As written, it means something like tried to remain anonymous while choosing. The phrasing in the choosing of is unnecessarily awkward and wordy.

Option E: The verb form sought suggests a single action rather than a process. The meaning of this version is probably not the intended meaning; it is best read as meaning aimed to be anonymous insofar as he chose.

The correct answer is A.

Please note that I'm not the author of this explanation. I'm just posting it here since I believe it can help the community.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
vikram4689 wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:
William Sydney Porter, who began writing while he was in prison for embezzlement, was seeking anonymity when he chose the pseudonym O. Henry.

(A)...
(B) was seeking that he might be anonymous when he chose
(C) was seeking for anonymity and therefore chose
(D) sought anonymity in the choosing of
(E) sought to be anonymous in that he chose

Quote:
1. What's the difference between "seeking anonymity" and seeking for anonymity" in terms of meaning?

seeking anonymity - you want to be anonymous
seeking for anonymity - seeking for anonymity as if anonymity is a lost entity e.g. seeking for pen
Quote:
2. Is the reason that C isn't the OA the part " therefore chose"? or "seeking for anonymity" also sounds awkward ?

"seeking for anonymity" is incorrect as explained above

(B) was seeking that he might be anonymous when he chose was seeking what ??
(C) was seeking for anonymity and therefore chose seeking for anonymity - INCORRECT
(D) sought anonymity in the choosing of - how can anonymity can be sought in something ??
(E) sought to be anonymous in that he chose - in that - INCORRECT

in that is actually correct in many other instances in GMAT. Can you explain why is that wrong here?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
(A) was seeking anonymity when he chose -- Between A and B, A is far far better and concise.
(B) was seeking that he might be anonymous when he chose -- Wordy. I kept it for end review. "seeking X" is the idiom.
(C) was seeking for anonymity and therefore chose -- "seeking for" is unidiomatic. "seeking something" is better.
(D) sought anonymity in the choosing of -- Incorrect. The action isn't ongoing. We need simple past "chose". In that moment when he chose, we need "seeking"
(E) sought to be anonymous in that he chose -- same as D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 405
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi experts, even though I chose A, I couldn't quite comprehend the meaning of (E),
"(E) William Sydney Porter sought to be anonymous in that he chose the pseudonym O. Henry."

I can understand that usage of "sought" changes the meaning but what does "in that he chose" exactly mean, I haven't read much on this type of phrase elsewhere.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [1]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
KeyurJoshi wrote:
Hi experts, even though I chose A, I couldn't quite comprehend the meaning of (E),
"(E) William Sydney Porter sought to be anonymous in that he chose the pseudonym O. Henry."

I can understand that usage of "sought" changes the meaning but what does "in that he chose" exactly mean, I haven't read much on this type of phrase elsewhere.

KeyurJoshi, I am no expert but "in that" is generally used to provide reasons/explanations ( a quick google search would help you here). So it doesn't make sense to say that he sought to be anonymous because he chose xyz....

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 170
Send PM
Hello Experts,
Hope you are well!

Can you please explain why option E is wrong? Thanks!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Anaghack wrote:
Hello Experts,

Hope you are well!

Can you please explain why option E is wrong? Thanks!

First, an important reminder: GMAT SC is NOT about finding 4 incorrect sentences and one correct sentence. Instead, it's about finding the best sentence out of the five available options. So the key question is, "Why is (A) better than (E)?" and not, "Why is (E) wrong?".

Choice (E) isn't terrible and doesn't have any clear and obvious errors. But this post explains why the verb tense is better in (A): https://gmatclub.com/forum/william-sydn ... l#p2468328. That gives us one solid vote in favor of (A) over (E).

Is "in that" wrong in (E)? Probably not. But at the very least, it's difficult to explain what exactly "in that" means in this context. On the other hand, the meaning of "when" is perfectly clear and obvious in choice (A). That gives us another small vote against (E).

Again, (E) isn't necessarily WRONG, exactly, but it doesn't seem to have any advantages over (A). That makes (A) the better choice.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts