Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2011
Posts: 66
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GRE 1: 1440 Q770 V670
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 8

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 05:00
All the best for everyone receiving their interview invites. I will be interviewing through Skype on 1st. Feeling Nervous now :(
_________________

Vanishing Nerd

Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1251
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 05:30
Expert's post
vanishingnerd wrote:
All the best for everyone receiving their interview invites. I will be interviewing through Skype on 1st. Feeling Nervous now :(


Good luck! Let us know how it goes. And don't forget to breathe :)

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1251
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 00:54
Expert's post
FYI -- Yale University, including Yale SOM admissions, is closed today, Monday, 10/29 due to Hurricane Sandy.

Interview invites will probably resume on Tuesday, 10/30 once the office opens again.

http://mba.yale.edu/news_events/CMS/Articles/7681.shtml

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 07:50
If I were to be rejected, when will I know - when they have decided not to send me an interview invite (by when do they finish inviting to interviews?) or on Dec 13 when they're going to announce final results for R1?

Will appreciate any insight on that front...

- DNA2013
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2010
Posts: 24
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 09:17
DNA2013 wrote:
If I were to be rejected, when will I know - when they have decided not to send me an interview invite (by when do they finish inviting to interviews?) or on Dec 13 when they're going to announce final results for R1?

Will appreciate any insight on that front...

- DNA2013


December 13 unless waitlisted
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2012
Posts: 71
Location: Philippines
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 22:31
My interview happens in less than seven hours. I'm stoked! :-D

Anyone done with theirs?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 70
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 03:31
jason12e wrote:
My interview happens in less than seven hours. I'm stoked! :-D

Anyone done with theirs?


Good luck! Mine's not until the end of next month.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2012
Posts: 15
GPA: 3.78
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 03:55
skm wrote:
jason12e wrote:
My interview happens in less than seven hours. I'm stoked! :-D

Anyone done with theirs?


Good luck! Mine's not until the end of next month.


Mine got postponed due to Sandy...and should hopefully be on for next week via Skype -- let me know how the whole Skype thing goes!! & good luck!!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2012
Posts: 71
Location: Philippines
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 04:48
Thanks skm and mba2527!

I was actually afraid Hurricane Sandy would cause my interview to get moved. Will let you guys know how things turn out in a few minutes. ;)
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1251
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 05:10
Expert's post
jason12e wrote:
Thanks skm and mba2527!

I was actually afraid Hurricane Sandy would cause my interview to get moved. Will let you guys know how things turn out in a few minutes. ;)


Good luck!! Sending positive vibes your way :)

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2012
Posts: 4
Schools: Darden '15 (M)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 06:37
u0422811 wrote:
BankerRUS wrote:
Guys, a quick question. I am an international applicant from Europe and would like to fly over for the campus interview since I want to visit Harvard and Columbia anyways (and took some holidays for this time before I knew anything about my Yale application)

What is better, to fly directly to New Heaven airport or JFK? JFK is cheaper and only 80 miles away. Nevertheless, how could I get from JFK to New Heaven? Is there any shuttle service I could book?

What is the dresscode for the campus visit and the interview? I assume that everything happens during one day so there is no chance to wear something casual and then a suit....



Fly into JFK. Take the Air Tran to the E Train to Grand Central (total cost $7.75). Then get a ticket on the metro north to New Haven at Grand Central (this will be sub $20).

A cab and car would be much more expensive.


I am coming from the South and have virtually no experience in NYC. I am planning on flying into NY and catching the Metro-North. Do you recommend JFK or is LGA just as good? I pulled up the Metro-North website, which is not helpful at the moment because it is the Hurricane Sandy advisory. Also, could I depend on that train to be running late November or is it jacked up from the hurricane? How often do the trains run? Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2012
Posts: 71
Location: Philippines
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 06:38
1
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks aerien!

Done with my Skype interview. I guess that caps my application journey to Yale SOM. Now the waiting begins...
I wish everyone luck with theirs (whether you're waiting for your interview day or for an interview invite). ;)

I know this is premature since I haven't been accepted yet, but if I could just share some thoughts/ideas on the interview:

1. The interview is not something that you need to "beat".
Think of it as a blank paper that you can use to write to the admissions committee to convince them more on why they should admit you into the program. My interviewer mentioned he will be writing a report about the whole conversation that we had to the committee, and that the final decision of course still rests with the admissions committee.

2. SELL yourself.
Make sure that you go into the interview prepared, and this means you know what "packaging" you made in the paper application and that it stays consistent with what you're saying in the interview.

3. Sell YOURSELF
Present yourself in the most positive light, but make sure it's still YOU that you're presenting.
Billy Joel could not have put it better: Don't go changing to try and please me...


That's all I have to say. ;)

God bless us all!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 70
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 06:40
jason12e wrote:
Thanks aerien!

Done with my Skype interview. I guess that caps my application journey to Yale SOM. Now the waiting begins...
I wish everyone luck with theirs (whether you're waiting for your interview day or for an interview invite). ;)

I know this is premature since I haven't been accepted yet, but if I could just share some thoughts/ideas on the interview:

1. The interview is not something that you need to "beat".
Think of it as a blank paper that you can use to write to the admissions committee to convince them more on why they should admit you into the program. My interviewer mentioned he will be writing a report about the whole conversation that we had to the committee, and that the final decision of course still rests with the admissions committee.

2. SELL yourself.
Make sure that you go into the interview prepared, and this means you know what "packaging" you made in the paper application and that it stays consistent with what you're saying in the interview.

3. Sell YOURSELF
Present yourself in the most positive light, but make sure it's still YOU that you're presenting.
Billy Joel could not have put it better: Don't go changing to try and please me...


That's all I have to say. ;)

God bless us all!


Thanks Jason - this is great advice! Sounds like it was fairly low-stress, right?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 70
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 06:44
transitioning wrote:
u0422811 wrote:
BankerRUS wrote:
Guys, a quick question. I am an international applicant from Europe and would like to fly over for the campus interview since I want to visit Harvard and Columbia anyways (and took some holidays for this time before I knew anything about my Yale application)

What is better, to fly directly to New Heaven airport or JFK? JFK is cheaper and only 80 miles away. Nevertheless, how could I get from JFK to New Heaven? Is there any shuttle service I could book?

What is the dresscode for the campus visit and the interview? I assume that everything happens during one day so there is no chance to wear something casual and then a suit....



Fly into JFK. Take the Air Tran to the E Train to Grand Central (total cost $7.75). Then get a ticket on the metro north to New Haven at Grand Central (this will be sub $20).

A cab and car would be much more expensive.


I am coming from the South and have virtually no experience in NYC. I am planning on flying into NY and catching the Metro-North. Do you recommend JFK or is LGA just as good? I pulled up the Metro-North website, which is not helpful at the moment because it is the Hurricane Sandy advisory. Also, could I depend on that train to be running late November or is it jacked up from the hurricane? How often do the trains run? Thanks!


It's really difficult to say at the moment as late November is very far away. People say there is a lot of water in the tunnels right now with no estimate of when normal service will be coming back. Metro-North had its power knocked out. While New Haven is fine, the towns you travel through to get to New Haven (Westport, Fairfield, etc.) were hit very hard.

Airports - LGA is apparently underwater right now. If the water clears out, I think you're okay with either one - there are airport shuttles from LGA and JFK to Grand Central. You might want to book JFK just to be on the safe side since it's already reopened.

When there is normal service, trains run from Grand Central to New Haven about once every hour - sometimes every half-hour during peak times.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2012
Posts: 71
Location: Philippines
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 08:04
skm wrote:
jason12e wrote:
Thanks aerien!

Done with my Skype interview. I guess that caps my application journey to Yale SOM. Now the waiting begins...
I wish everyone luck with theirs (whether you're waiting for your interview day or for an interview invite). ;)

I know this is premature since I haven't been accepted yet, but if I could just share some thoughts/ideas on the interview:

1. The interview is not something that you need to "beat".
Think of it as a blank paper that you can use to write to the admissions committee to convince them more on why they should admit you into the program. My interviewer mentioned he will be writing a report about the whole conversation that we had to the committee, and that the final decision of course still rests with the admissions committee.

2. SELL yourself.
Make sure that you go into the interview prepared, and this means you know what "packaging" you made in the paper application and that it stays consistent with what you're saying in the interview.

3. Sell YOURSELF
Present yourself in the most positive light, but make sure it's still YOU that you're presenting.
Billy Joel could not have put it better: Don't go changing to try and please me...


That's all I have to say. ;)

God bless us all!


Thanks Jason - this is great advice! Sounds like it was fairly low-stress, right?


Yup! Definitely nothing to stress about if you come in prepared and fully aware of what you want to share and communicate with the interviewer.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2012
Posts: 22
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.99
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 08:36
jason12e wrote:
Thanks aerien!

Done with my Skype interview. I guess that caps my application journey to Yale SOM. Now the waiting begins...
I wish everyone luck with theirs (whether you're waiting for your interview day or for an interview invite). ;)

I know this is premature since I haven't been accepted yet, but if I could just share some thoughts/ideas on the interview:

1. The interview is not something that you need to "beat".
Think of it as a blank paper that you can use to write to the admissions committee to convince them more on why they should admit you into the program. My interviewer mentioned he will be writing a report about the whole conversation that we had to the committee, and that the final decision of course still rests with the admissions committee.

2. SELL yourself.
Make sure that you go into the interview prepared, and this means you know what "packaging" you made in the paper application and that it stays consistent with what you're saying in the interview.

3. Sell YOURSELF
Present yourself in the most positive light, but make sure it's still YOU that you're presenting.
Billy Joel could not have put it better: Don't go changing to try and please me...


That's all I have to say. ;)

God bless us all!



Congrats! Sounds like it went really well, thanks for sharing your afterthoughts. The LI girl in me appreciates you speaking my language with Billy Joel lyrics ;)

I had a dream about b-school interviews last night, it felt so real. I'm hoping soon it will be!
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2011
Posts: 66
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GRE 1: 1440 Q770 V670
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 8

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 09:00
I have mine scheduled in next 16 hours via Skype. Thanks for the inputs Jason.

How long did it last? Did you also wear a suit for skype interview?

Cheers again.
_________________

Vanishing Nerd

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2012
Posts: 58
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 11:54
transitioning wrote:
u0422811 wrote:
BankerRUS wrote:
Guys, a quick question. I am an international applicant from Europe and would like to fly over for the campus interview since I want to visit Harvard and Columbia anyways (and took some holidays for this time before I knew anything about my Yale application)

What is better, to fly directly to New Heaven airport or JFK? JFK is cheaper and only 80 miles away. Nevertheless, how could I get from JFK to New Heaven? Is there any shuttle service I could book?

What is the dresscode for the campus visit and the interview? I assume that everything happens during one day so there is no chance to wear something casual and then a suit....



Fly into JFK. Take the Air Tran to the E Train to Grand Central (total cost $7.75). Then get a ticket on the metro north to New Haven at Grand Central (this will be sub $20).

A cab and car would be much more expensive.


I am coming from the South and have virtually no experience in NYC. I am planning on flying into NY and catching the Metro-North. Do you recommend JFK or is LGA just as good? I pulled up the Metro-North website, which is not helpful at the moment because it is the Hurricane Sandy advisory. Also, could I depend on that train to be running late November or is it jacked up from the hurricane? How often do the trains run? Thanks!


Hey, write me a message when you have your interview..I will fly over from Europe next week and have rented a car to go from NY to New Heaven... If your interview is on the same day, I can give you a ride...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 199
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 80

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 14:23
1
This post received
KUDOS
transitioning wrote:
I am coming from the South and have virtually no experience in NYC. I am planning on flying into NY and catching the Metro-North. Do you recommend JFK or is LGA just as good? I pulled up the Metro-North website, which is not helpful at the moment because it is the Hurricane Sandy advisory. Also, could I depend on that train to be running late November or is it jacked up from the hurricane? How often do the trains run? Thanks!


All airports/trains should be fine by late November. (My guess is everything should be up and running again within the next 2 weeks. Mike Bloomberg will not have it any other way.)

LGA is closer to MetroNorth if you are willing to take the M60 bus to 125th and wait on the aboveground platform for the train. If not, JFK will take you a bit longer to get to Grand Central, (maybe another 20 - 30 mins). Trains typically run every 25-30 mins during peak hours, and once an hour at night.

Good luck!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2012
Posts: 71
Location: Philippines
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 17:50
vanishingnerd wrote:
I have mine scheduled in next 16 hours via Skype. Thanks for the inputs Jason.

How long did it last? Did you also wear a suit for skype interview?

Cheers again.



Mine lasted for about 30 mins. I wore a suit, as someone suggested here in this thread.

Good luck with your interview!
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2012, 17:50
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
286 Experts publish their posts in the topic Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants aerien 1287 06 Jul 2012, 18:10
13 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants Dbalks 159 13 Dec 2012, 16:57
63 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants nink 913 02 Jul 2009, 06:55
7 Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! IHateTheGMAT 422 20 Jul 2008, 21:45
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  65    Next  [ 1288 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.