Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:11 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Re: 740 - (Q50, V40), Retake advice appreciated! [#permalink]
Thanks for the advice. I think I understand what you are saying, and the initial disappointment is subsiding. Its a mixed bag for me as verbal is really my specialty, i'm considering taking the LSAT as well, and was an area I hoped to excel in on the gmat. However, the splits make better reading the second time around (97% overall, 90% for both verbal and quant as per my score report), and I am leaning towards not retaking.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
JohnGalt44 wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I think I understand what you are saying, and the initial disappointment is subsiding. Its a mixed bag for me as verbal is really my specialty, i'm considering taking the LSAT as well, and was an area I hoped to excel in on the gmat. However, the splits make better reading the second time around (97% overall, 90% for both verbal and quant as per my score report), and I am leaning towards not retaking.

90/90 is ideal. You shouldn't sit for it again, unless you really believe you're 780+, and want to prove it to yourself.

I read your stats in the "ask admissions consultants" area, and think you're more than fine, buddy.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
I got a 740 and was a little bummed initially too. My last two practice tests before the real G-day were 760's.

Bottom line is the difference between a 740 and higher scores in terms of admission decisions is minimal (or at least from what I've read).

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
You have more than sufficed the GMAT component of your application. Your GPA may prove to be a detriment. However, the thing that will offset that detriment at this point is the most important part of your application, your work experience. What is that?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
740 is good enough to get into any school in the world.

You should get in anywhere unless your applications sucks and you have no personality. So work on those instead!

ASAP!!!!!!!1
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 660 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q45 V44
Send PM
I agree with everyone here. But I will add a few more points.

Quant is definitely the more important of the two splits. You are a native speaker and scored 90+ percentile verbal....it's all good.

Second point - If you go for a higher score, and get a lower result, it will definitely look like you don't know how to prioritize your application. There are many many more things you need to focus on now. Essays. Recommendations. Work. As much as other people have mentioned these, do not underestimate them. They are as important if not more so than your GMAT.

Last point - Even if you did get a higher score, I've seen it be a detriment to many applicants. ADcoms want to see a well-rounded applicant and love turning down 800's or score's near that range. Like I said before, what you want to focus on now is adding more spice into your application through your other components so that the ADcoms don't only see you as a grades focused bot.

Enjoy the process and good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Good advice from all the folks here - 740 is good enough to check off the GMAT box. A 760 or even 780 is not worth the added time and it just tells the adcom you're not great at prioritizing. Start working on your essays (think about what experiences you'll want to write about), visit target schools before the summer and work on ECs if needed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
I got a 740(Q-48, V-44) and I was bummed too. I remember cursing myself for making stupid mistakes in the Quant section of the test. My first instinct after the test was, like you, to sign up to take it again. I was scoring consistently in the 750+ range before the actual test and I was convinced that I could have done better. I was particularly concerned about my low Quant score. However, after looking at what role the GMAT score plays in the overall application (quant score-> will the applicant be able to handle the quantitative aspects of the course? verbal-> grasp of English, communication skills) I came to the conclusion that I could make a strong case for my quant skills by talking about my educational background and work experience (engineering). Retaking the GMAT to improve a 740 score is a game of diminishing returns, especially considering the risks involved. You have to remember that adcoms will see your application in its entirety. So in my opinion you can consider the GMAT component of your application done and concentrate on the rest of your application. It is highly unlikely that your application will get rejected in favor of another persons application based solely on that persons higher GMAT score.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37314 posts