Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 10:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A new law gives ownership of patents documents providing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
A new law gives ownership of patents documents providing [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 06:12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (02:18) correct 26% (01:14) wrong based on 63 sessions
A new law gives ownership of patents—documents providing exclusive right to make and sell an invention—to universities, not the government, when those patents result from government-sponsored university research. Administrators at Logos University plan to sell any patents they acquire to corporations in order to fund programs to improve undergraduate teaching.

Which of the following, if true, would cast most doubt on the viability of the college administrators’ plan described above?

(A) Profit-making corporations interested in developing products based on patents held by universities are likely to try to serve as exclusive sponsors of ongoing university research projects.
(B) Corporate sponsors of research in university facilities are entitled to tax credits under new federal tax-code guidelines.
(C) Research scientists at Logos University have few or no teaching responsibilities and participate little if at all in the undergraduate programs in their field.
(D) Government-sponsored research conducted at Logos University for the most part duplicates research already completed by several profit-making corporations.
(E) Logos University is unlikely to attract corporate sponsorship of its scientific research.

For me is between A and D

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 08:30
D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 44

GMAT Tests User
Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 18:46
D

"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiam." - Winston Churchill

As vs Like - Check this link : http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/like-as.html.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 6

Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2010, 10:07
D it is.

Administrators at Logos university are planning to make profits by selling their patents to corporations.

Which option will hurt their plan?

Government-sponsored research conducted at Logos University duplicates research already completed by several profit-making corporations.

If the research is already completed by corporations than why would corporations buy the patents of same research from Logos university and this in effect tends to hurt the administrators plan.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2010, 20:44
D

Never give up,,,

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 11:39
Can we think in terms of option C?
Plan is saying, sell patents for $$ to improve ---> undergrad education.

Option C says research scientists have no or limited role in teaching... means admins are selling it for something else but not for improving teaching.
I know this is not mentioned in argument but in weaken questions, we can have information not mentioned in the argument directly but weakens conclusion.

Any thoughts??
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 364 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 19:16
200% D

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 364 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 20:23
rg1 wrote:
Can we think in terms of option C?
Plan is saying, sell patents for $$ to improve ---> undergrad education.

Option C says research scientists have no or limited role in teaching... means admins are selling it for something else but not for improving teaching. >>> Don't think it impacts "ownership". Who owns will sell. D has a direct impact on ownership of the research. And copying a patent is illegal by any means.

Hence C is OUT.

I know this is not mentioned in argument but in weaken questions, we can have information not mentioned in the argument directly but weakens conclusion.

Any thoughts??

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Intern
Intern

Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 00:06
There is one more thing here. If the research programs are duplications of the ones conducted by the private corporations, there is a very little chance that they in fact can register any patents. So the plan to sell those to fund the undergraduate teaching might not be viable.

Please correct me if I'm wrong
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 05:11
@vijayvenky I was thinking on similar lines...attack selling for $$ making 'act' or improve education... I attacked motive, improving education.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 2

Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 08:57
This post received
KUDOS
D
Intern
Intern

Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 10:06
Whenever I looked at this problem I thought along the lines of, what would make the university not able to allocate funds towards undergraduate programs by not selling their patents.

I eliminated answer D last because it said that a lot of the research they perform is just a duplicate of work performed and completed by for-profit corporations. If it is duplicate research then they would never be awarded a patent which means that this option is irrelevant to the question. All this option states is that most of their research won't result in a patent which is 100% irrelevant (in my mind) to the argument.

I selected A because if the corporations are only willing to allocate their money as a sponsorship and not as outright buying the patents for cash, then the school would not be able to allocate money to their undergraduate program. All you would have is the government and corporations sponsoring additional research but that would not translate in to more money for undergraduate studies.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 22:15
I Chose A over D ................

what was explained above was perfect its very very close ............D ...what if other few corporations want to use these patents ?

OA please

Last edited by vudsri000 on 28 Jul 2010, 07:49, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 3

Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 22:16
This post received
KUDOS
dav373 wrote:
Whenever I looked at this problem I thought along the lines of, what would make the university not able to allocate funds towards undergraduate programs by not selling their patents.

I eliminated answer D last because it said that a lot of the research they perform is just a duplicate of work performed and completed by for-profit corporations. If it is duplicate research then they would never be awarded a patent which means that this option is irrelevant to the question. All this option states is that most of their research won't result in a patent which is 100% irrelevant (in my mind) to the argument.

I selected A because if the corporations are only willing to allocate their money as a sponsorship and not as outright buying the patents for cash, then the school would not be able to allocate money to their undergraduate program. All you would have is the government and corporations sponsoring additional research but that would not translate in to more money for undergraduate studies.

defintly D it is :wink:

consider cudos if you like my post

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 07:51
Too much of confusion whats the OA ........
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 112

Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 07:58
d my take
Intern
Intern

Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2010, 02:28
I choose D

Course in Marketing Management | Courses in Finance

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS, Harvard, Booth, Stanford, ISB, NTU
WE 1: S/W Engineer

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 15

Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 09:24
This post received
KUDOS
I've seen this one before. OA is D. I remember it only too well! I got this one wrong.
nusmavrik got the right explanation. :-) +1 to you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 20:08
D D D!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Logos [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 04:42