Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A report by the American Academy for the Advancement of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A report by the American Academy for the Advancement of [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2007, 11:15
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

52% (01:47) correct 47% (01:01) wrong based on 669 sessions
27. A report by the American Academy for the Advancement of Science has concluded that much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed comes from the incineration of wastes.
(A) much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed comes
(B) much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins that North Americans are exposed to come
(C) much of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and that North Americans are exposed to comes
(D) many of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and North Americans are exposed to come
(E) many of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed come

When to use a much v/s many. and should it be "exposed to" or just "exposed" ? A better explaination instead of just an answer letter would be preferred. Thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

GMAT the final frontie!!!.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2007, 11:46
many is used for countable nouns

much is used for uncountable nouns

dioxins i think should be categorized as countable, hence i will eliminate answers with 'much' leaving me with D & E, between whom E is the better choice.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2007, 19:58
Agreed, E, although one really needs to know what a dioxin is to understand this.
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [3] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - american academy [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2007, 22:30
This post received
KUDOS
alimad wrote:
27. A report by the American Academy for the Advancement of Science has concluded that much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed comes from the incineration of wastes.
(A) much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed comes
(B) much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins that North Americans are exposed to come
(C) much of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and that North Americans are exposed to comes
(D) many of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and North Americans are exposed to come
(E) many of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed come

When to use a much v/s many. and should it be "exposed to" or just "exposed" ? A better explaination instead of just an answer letter would be preferred. Thanks

This is an easy one. There are 2 mistakes in the original question -
1. use of much or many. Dioxins are countable like carbon dioxide, sulphur dioxide, etc. Therefore it should be many rather than much.

2. come/comes - Since it is plural is is come rather than comes.

Hence Answer is E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - american academy [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 07:03
Well competition is between B and E. Now who knows whether dioxins are countable or not.
So, I would look into the context of the sentence to see what makes sense!

Here the sentence clearly suggesting the count of dioxins not the amount of it/them. So 'many' would make more sense.
E.

(E) A report by the American Academy for the Advancement of Science has concluded that many of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed come the incineration of wastes.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - american academy [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 19:56
alimad wrote:

Agreed E is a better option. I would like to add isint " are exposed to come" sounding ackward and unidiomatic

Every Problem Has a Sloution So keep working
AB

Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - american academy [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 19:59
E,

many different kind of dioxins would be countable, requires "many ... come" thus E.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: sc - american academy [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2008, 01:09
But I check dictionary about dioxin, it shows that dioxin is C or U noun
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: sc - american academy [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2008, 22:15
i think C.... :?

- between many and much... i'd say much. because - we are talking about a certain amount of dioxin that are currently being exposed. and we dont know... how much it is.
can u count that amount?? we dont say many of the carbon idoxide is missing?!!
- exposed to is better
- comes from - is sounding better.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 390 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - american academy [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2009, 09:40
gmat101 wrote:
i think C.... :?

- between many and much... i'd say much. because - we are talking about a certain amount of dioxin that are currently being exposed. and we dont know... how much it is.
can u count that amount?? we dont say many of the carbon idoxide is missing?!!
- exposed to is better
- comes from - is sounding better.

should be E

here we are taking about different kinds (types) of dioxins

We can say much of the dioxin presents in the air.
here we are taking about dioxin level.. "dioxin" --> uncountable

many of dioxins present in the air.
--> dixoins -- countable.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: sc - american academy [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2009, 14:30
"E" is my answer. Countable nouns should be referred by using "many."
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - american academy [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2009, 17:38
I need help to understand why D is wrong...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - american academy [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2009, 19:15
bigfernhead wrote:

many of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and North Americans are exposed to come

North americans are exposed -> to what? This is not clear, because North americans are exposed to is an independent clause.
Option E corrects this by clearly eliminating the independent clause and bringing in the infinitive and the pronoun.

Also dioxins that are uncontrolled is wordy as compared to 'uncontrolled dioxins'.

Hope this helps,
-pradeep

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Last edited by pleonasm on 23 Mar 2009, 06:37, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - american academy [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2009, 06:38
bigfernhead wrote:
Thanks.

pbanavara wrote:
bigfernhead wrote:

many of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and North Americans are exposed to come

North americans are exposed -> to what? This is not clear, because North americans are exposed to is an independent clause.
Option E corrects this by clearly stating eliminating the independent clause and brining in the infinitive and the pronoun.

Also dioxins that are uncontrolled is wordy as compared to 'uncontrolled dioxins'.

Hope this helps,
-pradeep

It's funny how a solution to the SC question has a million typos .. corrected the same .. sorry about that.

-pradeep

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - american academy [#permalink] New post 04 May 2009, 10:16
Friends, IMO Choice E has a split infinitive, where "to" and the verb "exposed" are split. According to manhattan SC guide, this is an error. D has teh reference issue of "to". Also is too wordy. A and B might be having a few errors but one of them is subject verb agreement. IMO B is the correct ans...

Choose Life

SVP
SVP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - american academy [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2009, 01:27
trainspotting wrote:
Friends, IMO Choice E has a split infinitive, where "to" and the verb "exposed" are split. According to manhattan SC guide, this is an error. D has teh reference issue of "to". Also is too wordy. A and B might be having a few errors but one of them is subject verb agreement. IMO B is the correct ans...

split infinites occurs when you place a word between the "to" and the base verb. For example: "to really like."

What you need to keep in mind is that it's considered clumsy when you keep the "to" at the end of the sentence. For example, it is better to say "to which he was accustomed" than "he was accustomed to." This is also true for any prepositins.

Using the relative pronoun "which" doesn't interfer in interupting the split infinitive. That is why option E is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - american academy [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 15:41
(A) much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed comes – using ‘’comes’’ here is wrong since dioxins are plural.-
(B) much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins that North Americans are exposed to come [color=#0000FF]– I am agree with the idea that mentions We can say much of the dioxin presents in the air.
here we are taking about dioxin level.. "dioxin" --> uncountable
many of dioxins present in the air.
--> dixoins -- countable.
[/color]

(C) much of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and that North Americans are exposed to comes comes – using ‘’comes’’ here is wrong since dioxins are plural.-

(D) many of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and North Americans are exposed to come – it is wrong because of two reasons . 1)It distors paralelism , it should be many of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and that North Americans are exposed inserting that here will eliminate the problem of North americans are exposed -> to what?- 2) using ‘’that are’’ makes the sentence too wordy’’

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - american academy [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 08:35
without getting into much and many issue using POE we can get down to E. IMO E it is.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: sc - american academy [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 08:06
E for me

many is required here as "dioxins" is countable
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - american academy [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2010, 08:16
E makes sense --

but wouldnt it be more correct of the option was:
(E) many of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed to come
Re: sc - american academy   [#permalink] 13 Feb 2010, 08:16