Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Comparisonsx   Parallelismx   Pronounsx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 946 [946]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [233]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [54]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [38]
Send PM
Re: According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat fr [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The problem with the choice B is its ambiguity. IMO, though weird as it may look, it does imply a possibility that the wild animals have less total fat than they have livestock.

Taking your choices

Japan has more money than China (has).
Japan's economy is better than that of China.
Japan's economy is better than China.

In the first one, which seems to have no problem, the saving grace is the elliptical verb “has.” If you had not indicated it, the meaning may distort that Japan has more money than Japan has China.( absurd though)

Let me give you a couple of examples, where it may not be so absurd

I Jack loves Jill more than Tom.

Basically two interpretations are possible,

1. Jack loves Jill more than he loves Tom,
2. Jack loves Jill more that Tom loves Jill

II Nobody knows the baby better than the mother

1 nobody knows the baby better than the mother knows the baby
2. Nobody knows the baby better than he or she knows the mother

In order to remove this ambiguity only, we have to provide a necessary verb in the second arm of the comparison. In the given text, B would have been better, if it had stated “wild animals have less total fat than have livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be

Is it of any help?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [28]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Re: According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat fr [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Look at the following 3 comparisons

"wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock"
-- this comparison is clearly wrong. does this statement less fat than fat of livestock ? would that be a proper english sentence ?

"wild animals have less total fat than livestock have"
-- This makes much more sense. Sometimes the have at the end is not written (since its obvious). This phenomenon is termed ellipsis, and it is used in this statement.

"wild animals have less total fat than do livestock"
-- I am not sure whether this option is correct. Someone else may have to explain it.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [22]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The answer to this question is definitely (B) and not (C). The question itself is fine; somebody just made a minor typo and put (C) instead of (B).

In (C) we have the pronoun 'that': 'wild animals have less total fat than that of....' What exactly does the 'that' refer to? If the 'that' referred to the fat of livestock, then we would be comparing 'wild animals' to 'the fat of livestock' which is indeed a bizarre comparison. (B) maintains a logical comparison between 'wild animals' and 'livestock.'
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [9]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
kokusanhin wrote:
According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat from wild animals and meat from domesticated animals, wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is good for cardiac health.

(A) wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is

(B) wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be

(C) wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be

(D) total fat of wild animals is less than livestock fed on grain and they have more fat of a kind thought to be

(E) total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is

Concepts tested here: Comparison + Pronouns + Grammatical Construction

• A comparison must always be made between similar things.
• If a list has only two elements, they must be joined by a conjunction.
• Semicolons and the "comma + conjunction" construction are used to join independent clauses.
• A pronoun and its derivatives can only refer to one noun in a sentence.

A: This answer choice suffers from a pronoun error, as the pronoun "they" has no logical referent.

B: Correct. This answer choice correctly compares "wild animals" with "livestock fed on grain". Further, Option B avoids the pronoun errors seen in Options A, D, and E, as it employs no pronouns. Additionally, Option B avoids the grammatical construction errors seen in Options D and E, as it uses the single independent clause "wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be good for cardiac health", correctly using conjunction ("and" in this sentence) to join two elements in a list - "less total fat than livestock fed on grain" and "more of a kind...health"; please remember, if a list has only two elements, they must be joined by a conjunction.

C: This answer choice incorrectly compares "wild animals" to "that (total fat) of livestock fed on grain"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements.

D: This answer choice incorrectly compares "total fat of wild animals" to "livestock fed on grain"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements. Further, Option D suffers from pronoun ambiguity, as it is unclear whether "they" refers to "wild animals" or "livestock". Additionally, Option D incorrectly uses conjunction ("and" in this sentence) to join the independent clauses "total fat of wild animals is less than livestock fed on grain" and "they have more fat of a kind thought to be good for cardiac health"; please remember, semicolons and the "comma + conjunction" construction are used to join independent clauses.

E: This answer choice incorrectly compares "in wild animals" to "that (total fat) of livestock fed on grain"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar things. Further, Option E suffers from pronoun error, as the pronoun "they" has no clear referent. Moreover, Option E incorrectly uses "their" and "they" to refer to different nouns; please remember, a pronoun and its derivatives can only refer to one noun in a sentence. Additionally, Option E incorrectly uses conjunction ("and" in this sentence) to join the independent clauses "total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain" and "more of their fat is of a kind they think is good for cardiac health"; please remember, semicolons and the "comma + conjunction" construction are used to join independent clauses.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3662 [17]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I went for C. I strongly believe C is correct.

it was between B vs C.

B. wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be -> changes the meaning.

C. wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be -> correct proper comparison
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [10]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
WashingtonGMAT wrote:
daagh wrote:
I am afraid that this is a weird question. No choice seems satisfying.

B looks apparently better than others, because, in gist, it maintains the comparison between wild animals and domestic animals, although it is also meaning to say that wild animals have less total fat than they have livestock, which is indeed absurd

The right answer is B which is surprising. This is kind of interesting question.

Going by the same logic that you have used, I picked B.

But does the sentence imply that "wild animals have less total fat than they have livestock"?

Let's consider some examples:

Japan has more money than China (has).
Japan's economy is better than that of China.
Japan's economy is better than China.

In the first example, you are comparing two countries. In the second, you are comparing economies. So both the sentences are correct. The third example is wrong because the comparison is wrong.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken but I think that you are attributing the mistake in the third example to the question when in fact it has a structure similar to the first example.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
1. If this is an OG or GPRP question, I will agree with the OA.
2. Grammatically A and E are out because both choices use an irrelevant pronoun ‘they’.
3. In D also, ‘they’ is ambiguous and no one knows whether it refers to wild animals or livestock or studies.
4. In C, the comparison is between the total fat in wild animals with that in livestock fed on grains; Considering that the studies compare the nutritional values of two types of meat rather than the two meats themselves or the two types of animals , the comparison seems to be fairly good in C.

5.On the contrary, B straight compares wild animals with livestock, which is prima facie wrong as it alters the intent of the original. In addition, the structure of the sentence gives a slant that the wild animals have less total fat than the wild animals have livestock fed on ……

6.This is not to say that C is rather the most elegant; it also its own flaws. The ‘have’ with less total fat and the ‘have’ with more fat of a kind are both redundant; It would be parallel to cut off the second ‘have’.

In spite of all this reasoning, B is claimed to be the right answer? Any reason?
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4594 [6]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Refer official question: Confusion ??

Official Guide 10th SC #19:
In addition to having more protein than wheat does, the protein in rice is higher quality than that in wheat, with more of the amino acids essential to the human diet.

A. the protein in rice is higher quality than that in
B. rice has protein of higher quality than that in (correct)
C. the protein in rice is higher in quality than it is in
D. rice protein is higher in quality than it is in
E. rice has a protein higher in quality than (wrong)

Ron's explanation to above question :
"#19 is interesting. there's still LOGICAL parallelism - you have the protein contained in rice, and you have the protein contained in wheat - but the GRAMMATICAL parallelism isn't lock-step: you have "rice has protein" vs. "that in wheat". in other words, while both halves refer to the protein contained in a particular type of food, they do so in slightly different ways. The lesson here is that we shouldn't complain, but, rather, we should learn: if the logical parallelism is absolutely clear, then the gmat will tolerate slight anomalies from the ideal of exact grammatical parallelism."

According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat from wild animals and meat from domesticated animals, wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is good for cardiac health.

A.wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is
B.wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be
C.wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be
D.total fat of wild animals is less than livestock fed on grain and they have more fat of a kind thought to be
E.total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is

Lots of confusion is going on following question in comparison to one old official question.
I am in favor of option C, but few experts are in favor of B, whereas one official answer is supporting my point. Could you please help me to understand why C is wrong

if I say : I have less money than that in box << would it be fine ??
I believe both B and C are correct styles of setting comparison because we are comparing total fats of both kinds of animals.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [3]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
PiyushK wrote:
Refer official question: Confusion ??

Official Guide 10th SC #19:
In addition to having more protein than wheat does, the protein in rice is higher quality than that in wheat, with more of the amino acids essential to the human diet.

A. the protein in rice is higher quality than that in
B. rice has protein of higher quality than that in (correct)
C. the protein in rice is higher in quality than it is in
D. rice protein is higher in quality than it is in
E. rice has a protein higher in quality than (wrong)

Ron's explanation to above question :
"#19 is interesting. there's still LOGICAL parallelism - you have the protein contained in rice, and you have the protein contained in wheat - but the GRAMMATICAL parallelism isn't lock-step: you have "rice has protein" vs. "that in wheat". in other words, while both halves refer to the protein contained in a particular type of food, they do so in slightly different ways. The lesson here is that we shouldn't complain, but, rather, we should learn: if the logical parallelism is absolutely clear, then the gmat will tolerate slight anomalies from the ideal of exact grammatical parallelism."

A.wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is
B.wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be
C.wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be
D.total fat of wild animals is less than livestock fed on grain and they have more fat of a kind thought to be
E.total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is

PiyushK wrote:
Lots of confusion is going on following question in comparison to one old official question.
I am in favor of option C, but few experts are in favor of B, whereas one official answer is supporting my point. Could you please help me to understand why C is wrong

if I say : I have less money than that in box << would it be fine ??
I believe both B and C are correct styles of setting comparison because we are comparing total fats of both kinds of animals.

Dear PiyushK,
I am happy to respond to your p.m., my friend. :-) First of all, on the tricky topic of omitting words in parallel, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/dropping-c ... -the-gmat/

In the OG question (OG10, SC #19), choice (B) is clearly the right answer ---- "rice has protein of a higher quality than the protein in wheat". The demonstrative pronoun (that, those) refer to a word or phrase explicitly mentioned earlier in the sentence. Since "protein" was mentioned, literally and explicitly, at an earlier point in the sentence, we can use "that" to substitute for it.

Now, the animal fat question. Hmmm. I don't know the source of this question, but I don't think it's a good question. When the word "than" follows a direct object, the comparison can be with either the subject or the object. In (C), if "that" stands for "total fat", then we are comparing object to object, which is correct. I know the MGMAT folks say that (B) is right and (C) is wrong, and they're very smart, but I say that a strong case can be mounted for either (B) or (C), and because of this, this is not a very well written question. This question is not up to the high standards of the GMAT.

In your sentence:
I have less money than that in box
the big problem is the missing article before "box"
I have less money than that in the box.
We could also phrase that as:
I have less money than is in that box.
This last version might be best, but the second version is logical & grammatical correct, if not completely idiomatically natural.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64889 [15]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos