GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 12:31

Oct 15

Darden EA Calls have started. Join the Darden Chat or Darden Forum Discussion or Darden Decision Tracker

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat fr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat fr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 08:33
A. wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is --- they has no proper antecedent

B. wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be ------ the correct choice with proper comparison and with no pronoun problems

C. wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be --- comparison between wild animals and that of meaning ‘total fat’ is wrong

D. total fat of wild animals is less than livestock fed on grain and they have more fat of a kind thought to be -- comparison between total fat and livestock is wrong.

E. total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is --They has no referent.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GPA: 1.9
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat fr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2016, 23:10
dave785 wrote:
Compare wild animals to livestock,

C. compares wild animals (themselves) to the fat (of livestock) and is therefore wrong.

I got B. is that correct?

I think the interpretation of B is as:

Wild animal has X and Y

X= total fat & Y = livestock fed on grains.

Hence B say : Wild animals has less total fat than livestock fed grain. in this case , B is wrong.

please throw some light on it.
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2016, 13:14
robu wrote:
dave785 wrote:
Compare wild animals to livestock,

C. compares wild animals (themselves) to the fat (of livestock) and is therefore wrong.

I got B. is that correct?

but I think in B , the comparison seems between the total fat and live stock.

please clarify.

It is allowed to omit the repeated part from the second element of comparison,even verbs, if the meaning is clear.

Wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain (have).

However on certain occasions this dropping of repeated element is not correct:

I love sweets more than Jina.

The above sentence can have two meanings:

I love sweets. I love Jina. But I love sweets more than I love Jina.
I love sweets. Jina love sweets. But I love sweets more than Jina does.

However such ambiguity is not there in option B, and hence the verb can be dropped since the alternative " Wild animals have less total fat than (they have) livestock fed on grain" would be senseless.
SVP
SVP
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2016, 21:20
duttarupam wrote:
According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat from wild animals and meat from domesticated animals, wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is good for cardiac health.

A. wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is

B. wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be

C. wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be

D. total fat of wild animals is less than livestock fed on grain and they have more fat of a kind thought to be

E. total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is

OG16 SC111

Please explain

This question tests comparison concepts.
We need to find the option that correctly compares the wild animals with the livestock or fat with fat.
On checking the options

We can remove options C and D
The options A and E contain "they" that has no clear referent.

The choice that removes all these errors is option B
Correct option: B
BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 02:50
Answer: B

According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat from wild animals and meat from domesticated animals, wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is good for cardiac health.

A. wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is - They is dangling.
B. wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be - Correct comparison between animals and livestock
C. wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be - Wrong comparison between animal and fat
D. total fat of wild animals is less than livestock fed on grain and they have more fat of a kind thought to be - Wrong comparison between animal and fat
E. total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is - That is wrong.

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Re: QOTD: According to recent studies comparing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 09:12
Hi souvik101990: Is the question correct? None of the choices is making any sense?

A. wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is -No antecedent for they
B. wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be -This is again ambiguous comparison. Wild animals have less fat than wild animals have livestock? This is really absurd comparison. If it had been "fat than have livestock" then it would have made sense.
C. wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be -This makes little sense. However, "fat than have livestock" would have made more sense. "That" doesn't sound good.
D. total fat of wild animals is less than livestock fed on grain and they have more fat of a kind thought to be -Again comparison is absurd and "they" doesn't have any antecedent
E. total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is -"they" doesn't have any antecedent

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 08:22
how could B be the answer , fat of wild animals is compared with livestock
it should be "WILD ANIMALS HAVE LESS TOTAL FAT THAN LIVE STOCK FED ON GRAIN HAVE "
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 10:36
Ridhimajain96 wrote:
it should be "WILD ANIMALS HAVE LESS TOTAL FAT THAN LIVE STOCK FED ON GRAIN HAVE "

Hello Ridhimajain96,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

Following is the excerpt from the passage that presents the comparison in Choice B:

...wild animals have less total fat than livestock...

In the above structure, wild animals have been correctly compared to livestock.

The thing is the verb have or the helping verb do in place of have is understood after than because such omission does not lead to any ambiguity in comparison.

In total, there are three nouns in the above-mentioned structure - wild animals, livestock, and total fat. Needless to say that only the first two noun entities can be logically compared in the context of this sentence. Wild animals cannot be logically compared to total fat.

Such omissions are NOT allowed when doing so leads to ambiguous comparison.

You may go through our elaborate article named HOW FAR ELLIPSIS IS PERMISSIBLE IN COMPARISON to understand in which sentences we must use the helping verb in the second part of the comparison and in which sentence we not in the following link:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-far-ellipsis-is-permissible-in-comparison-148973.html

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 10:39
karanrai1991 wrote:
I have the same question as gmatexam439

Hello karanrai1991,

May I request you to go through my response to @Ridhimajain96's post just above yours?
My response addresses your doubt.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 10:44
egmat wrote:
karanrai1991 wrote:
I have the same question as gmatexam439

Hello karanrai1991,

May I request you to go through my response to the query posted by Ridhimajain96 just above your post?

My response addresses your doubt.

In case if you have any further doubts, do let me know.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE: Marketing (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 12:16
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
B. wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be

There’s no pronoun here, so that’s cool. And I think the meaning works: “wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain” is fine. The second part seems fine, too: “wild animals have… more of a kind of fat thought to be good for cardiac health.”

I don’t see any huge issues, so let’s keep (B).

Quote:
C. wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be

As described in our rambling guide to the word “that”, “that” is a singular pronoun in this type of situation. In (C), I guess it has to refer to “total fat,” but that doesn’t really make sense: “wild animals have less total fat than the total fat of livestock fed on grain…”

That’s kind of a mess. Wild animals have less fat than livestock, but it wouldn’t make sense to say that “wild animals have less total fat.. than the total fat…” That comparison is thoroughly wrong. (C) is out.

Dear GMATNinja, thank you for your detailed explanation - as usual.

I think this question really troubled me. I need to revisit again and then digest what makes C wrong.

I couldn't learn what makes "that of" in the C doesn't make sense.

Finally, I tried to simplify my understanding. I changed option B and C with extremely simple language.

- I have less money than you. Ohyeah perfect!
- I have less money than money of you. As you said, kind of a mess!

Thanks for your generosity! :thumbup: :thumbup:

There's an app for that - Steve Jobs.

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: ISB '20, IIMA , IIMC
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V30
GPA: 3.35

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2018, 22:33
egmat wrote:
Ridhimajain96 wrote:

Hello Ridhimajain96,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

Following is the excerpt from the passage that presents the comparison in Choice B:

...wild animals have less total fat than livestock...

In the above structure, wild animals have been correctly compared to livestock.

The thing is the verb have or the helping verb do in place of have is understood after than because such omission does not lead to any ambiguity in comparison.

In total, there are three nouns in the above-mentioned structure - wild animals, livestock, and total fat. Needless to say that only the first two noun entities can be logically compared in the context of this sentence. Wild animals cannot be logically compared to total fat.

Such omissions are NOT allowed when doing so leads to ambiguous comparison.

You may go through our elaborate article named HOW FAR ELLIPSIS IS PERMISSIBLE IN COMPARISON to understand in which sentences we must use the helping verb in the second part of the comparison and in which sentence we not in the following link:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-far-ellipsis-is-permissible-in-comparison-148973.html

Thanks.
Shraddha

EGMAT

A. wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is

THIS STRUCTURE SUGGESTS THAT WILD ANIMALS HAVE TOTAL FAT AND LIVESTOCK ,BUT WILD ANIMALS HAVE TOTAL FAT LESS THAN LIVESTOCK
D. total fat of wild animals is less than livestock fed on grain and they have more fat of a kind thought to be
E. total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is

1.WILD ANIMALS HAVE LESS TOTAL FAT THAN LIVESTOCK
2.LIVESTOCK HAVE TOTAL FAT LESS THAN LIVE STOCK
3.LIVESTOCK HAVE LESS TOTAL FAT LESS THAN LIVESTOCK HAVE.
MA'AM ,CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN ALL THREE COMPARISONS. THEY ARE VERY CONFUSING
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 13:49
JAIN09 wrote:

EGMAT

THIS STRUCTURE SUGGESTS THAT WILD ANIMALS HAVE TOTAL FAT AND LIVESTOCK ,BUT WILD ANIMALS HAVE TOTAL FAT LESS THAN LIVESTOCK

1.WILD ANIMALS HAVE LESS TOTAL FAT THAN LIVESTOCK
2.LIVESTOCK HAVE TOTAL FAT LESS THAN LIVE STOCK
3.LIVESTOCK HAVE LESS TOTAL FAT LESS THAN LIVESTOCK HAVE.
MA'AM ,CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN ALL THREE COMPARISONS. THEY ARE VERY CONFUSING

Hello JAIN09,

I apologize for getting back to this post so late.

A. wild animals have less total fat than do livestock
B. wild animals have less total fat than livestock

Both these structures correctly present the intended comparison. The only two logical entities that can be compared in these structures are wild animals and livestock.

These structures say that wild animals and livestock both have total fat. But wild animals have less of it.

The verb do that has been used in place of have is for livestock.

C. wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock:- In this structure, the two compared entities are wild animals and that. This pronoun that has nothing to refer to logically. So essentially, we do not know what wild animals have been compared to here.

D. total fat of wild animals is less than livestock:- In this choice, total fat has been compared to livestock. This comparison does not make sense.

E. total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock:- Here again we do not what total fat has been compared to because this choice does not use the expression X of wild animal. Hence, there is no logical antecedent for that.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 07:00
egmat wrote:
Hello JAIN09,

Both these structures correctly present the intended comparison. The only two logical entities that can be compared in these structures are wild animals and livestock.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha
would you please elaborate further about the sentence B.
I think i must miss something, because i thought sentence B is ambiguous.
there are two ways to understand it
#1wild animals have less total fat than livestock [/i] have
#2 wild animals have less total fat than livestock [/i]

Please,
Waiting for your reply

Thanks in advance

Have a lovely day
>_~
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 12:05
zoezhuyan wrote:
egmat wrote:
Hello JAIN09,

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha
would you please elaborate further about the sentence B.
I think i must miss something, because i thought sentence B is ambiguous.
there are two ways to understand it
#1wild animals have less total fat than livestock [/i] have
#2 wild animals have less total fat than livestock [/i]

Please,
Waiting for your reply

Thanks in advance

Have a lovely day
>_~

Good question! It might be helpful to look at an instance of genuine ambiguity to see why the above example is different.

I like math more than my wife.

There's two legitimate ways to interpret this sentence, one of which would be very unfortunate for the health of my marriage. :?

1) I like math more than my wife [likes math].
    2) I like math more than [I like] my wife.

Both make sense, and because there's no way for the reader to determine what the writer meant, the GMAT wouldn't have this construction in a correct answer.

Now consider the construction in the correct answer:

"...wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain"

This isn't ambiguous. It clearly means that wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain [do.]

The alternative would be that wild animals have less total fat than [they have] livestock fed on grain. No sensible reader would think that animals have livestock, or that it would be logical to compare the amount of fat an animal has to the number of livestock it possesses. So unlike the previous example, there's no real ambiguity here.

More importantly, the other four answer choices all have DEFINITE errors. We're never making our selection in a vacuum. We just want the best of the bunch.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 09:07
GMATNinja wrote:

Quote:

There’s no pronoun here, so that’s cool. And I think the meaning works: “wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain” is fine. The second part seems fine, too: “wild animals have… more of a kind of fat thought to be good for cardiac health.”

Quote:

As described in our rambling guide to the word “that”, “that” is a singular pronoun in this type of situation. In (C), I guess it has to refer to “total fat,” but that doesn’t really make sense: “wild animals have less total fat than the total fat of livestock fed on grain…”

That’s kind of a mess. Wild animals have less fat than livestock, but it wouldn’t make sense to say that “wild animals have less total fat.. than the total fat…” That comparison is thoroughly wrong. (C) is out.

GMATNinja egmat

My logic for this question is as follows,

In this first part of options B & C we are comparing total fat in wild animals to that in livestock. Considering this can we not think of
B - as comparing the "total fat in wild animals" to "livestock" (as in the animals)
C - the that here can refer to fat in "total fat" & this clears up the above confusion

Can you help me understand where I am wrong in the above analysis?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 10:11
lazybee wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

GMATNinja egmat

My logic for this question is as follows,

In this first part of options B & C we are comparing total fat in wild animals to that in livestock. Considering this can we not think of
B - as comparing the "total fat in wild animals" to "livestock" (as in the animals)
C - the that here can refer to fat in "total fat" & this clears up the above confusion

Can you help me understand where I am wrong in the above analysis?

Here's a silly example: "I have a smaller house than my neighbor has." Notice that I'm comparing what I have to what my neighbor has. This seems logical.

But if I write, "I have a smaller house than that of my neighbor," and replace the pronoun "that" with its referent ("house"), I get the following: "I have a smaller house than the house of my neighbor." You probably understand what I mean, but now I'm comparing what I have to what my neighbor's house has! My neighbor's house doesn't have its own house, right?

Same idea here. If we write "wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock" and we replace "that" with "fat" we get, "Wild animals have less total fat than the fat of livestock." We want to compare what wild animals have to what livestock have, but instead we're comparing what wild animals have to what the fat of livestock has! Put another way, it sounds as though wild animals have a certain amount of fat -- and the fat of livestock has a certain amount of fat. That's just nutty.

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 10:45
GMATNinja

Thanks for your reply.

Both in option B & In the example you gave "I have a smaller house than my neighbor has." Can i say that the "than" creates a parallelism effect & hence the fat/house is implied on the other side?

Also is this an elliptical clause.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 21:13
lazybee wrote:
GMATNinja

Thanks for your reply.

Both in option B & In the example you gave "I have a smaller house than my neighbor has." Can i say that the "than" creates a parallelism effect & hence the fat/house is implied on the other side?

Also is this an elliptical clause.

Sure. Because "than" indicates a comparison, and we want to compare like elements, it's fair to think of "than" as a type of parallel marker.

"Ellipsis" is just a fancy term to refer to words in a sentence that are implied rather than stated outright. If I write, "My cat is more depressed than my neighbor's," the word "cat" is implied after "neighbor's." I wouldn't waste any brain space obsessing about ellipsis, though. I have never thought "hm, is this an instance of an ellipsis?" while taking an actual GMAT exam. Instead, my energy is focused on making sure that the sentence is clear and logical.

In the silly example I gave in the previous post, it's clear that we're comparing what I have to what my neighbor has, and that I'm comparing the size of our respective homes. Whether we label it as an "ellipsis" doesn't matter much, as long as you understand the logic of the comparison exactly as it's written.

I hope that helps!

Need an expert reply?

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: HBS '22, HEC '22
GMAT 1: 570 Q39 V28
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V26
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 10:31
We can directly eliminate A D and E as all have the word "they" and it is not referring to a plural word.

In option C the sentence " wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock" have a totally wrong comparison as that cannot refer back to Total fat.

So, option B is our answer

I hope this helped. If this was indeed helpful, then you may say Thank You by giving a Kudos!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat fr &nbs [#permalink] 13 Sep 2018, 10:31

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 42 posts ] 

According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat fr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap