GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 07 Aug 2020, 11:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat fr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Re: According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat fr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2019, 10:51
Excellent comparison question. Understand this SC to the core has cleared up my concept.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat fr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2019, 01:01
Hey GMATNinja,

I've been living by your go literal when comparing mantra, and has worked quite well for me by far. But here I've a question, doesn't "wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain " tend to say wild animals have less fat than they have livestock? I know this might be super dumb to ask, but this was the only reason i picked C over B. This didnt seem to have any other error!

GMATNinja wrote:
A few of my best students have gotten their asses thoroughly kicked by this one, so please don’t feel badly if you struggled with it. (And most of the early responses look great!) Success on this question is mostly about your ability to be incredibly literal with the meaning, particularly as it relates to the pronouns in the sentence. (For more on pronouns, check out our good old YouTube webinar on the topic.)

Quote:
A. wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is

“They” has to refer back to a plural noun, but our only options are “studies” (which makes no sense, because studies can’t think) or “wild animals” (which also makes no sense, unless you think wild animals moonlight as nutritionists. (A) is out.

Quote:
B. wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be

There’s no pronoun here, so that’s cool. And I think the meaning works: “wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain” is fine. The second part seems fine, too: “wild animals have… more of a kind of fat thought to be good for cardiac health.”

I don’t see any huge issues, so let’s keep (B).

Quote:
C. wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be

As described in our rambling guide to the word “that”, “that” is a singular pronoun in this type of situation. In (C), I guess it has to refer to “total fat,” but that doesn’t really make sense: “wild animals have less total fat than the total fat of livestock fed on grain…”

That’s kind of a mess. Wild animals have less fat than livestock, but it wouldn’t make sense to say that “wild animals have less total fat.. than the total fat…” That comparison is thoroughly wrong. (C) is out.

Quote:
D. total fat of wild animals is less than livestock fed on grain and they have more fat of a kind thought to be

This comparison is very clearly wrong: “total fat… is less than livestock.” You could, I suppose, also argue that the “they” isn’t 100% clear – but the illogical comparison is the most straightforward issue. (D) is out, too.

Quote:
E. total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is

There’s a lot of clunkiness here, but the biggest issue is the word “they”: the only possible referents are “wild animals”, “livestock”, or “studies.” And none of those are likely to “think [that fat] is good for cardiac health.” (E) is gone, and (B) is the best answer.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Re: According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat fr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2019, 20:02
krishsaisree wrote:
Hey GMATNinja,

I've been living by your go literal when comparing mantra, and has worked quite well for me by far. But here I've a question, doesn't "wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain " tend to say wild animals have less fat than they have livestock? I know this might be super dumb to ask, but this was the only reason i picked C over B. This didnt seem to have any other error!

Have you tried reviewing this post?

If that doesn't help, let us know!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
VP
VP
P
According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat fr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Apr 2020, 01:52
[quote="kokusanhin"]According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat from wild animals and meat from domesticated animals, wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is good for cardiac health.

(A) wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is

(B) wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be

(C) wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be

(D) total fat of wild animals is less than livestock fed on grain and they have more fat of a kind thought to be

(E) total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is

SOME EXPERT DONT LIKE THIS PROBLEM

is this OFFICIAL , if so, pls, show a screen shot, or , administer, pls, discard this problem because we have no time for bad problems.

I waiste a lot of time on this problem.
OA choice B is problematic also.

pls, DISCARD THIS PROBLEM, OR SCREEN SHOT IS SHOWN. THANK YOU

I already report this problem to the administer

Originally posted by thangvietnam on 24 Aug 2019, 05:31.
Last edited by thangvietnam on 11 Apr 2020, 01:52, edited 3 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22, ISB '21
GPA: 3.9
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 09:20
Looking at the meaning reveals the answer for this question in my opinion.

A - There is no referent for they, so A is out
B - wild animals are compared to live stock, so comparison is ok. Last part I'm not sure of, but anyhow I kept this option for timebeing.
C - less total fat of wild animals is compared with the total fat of live stock. However, the last part of the sentence changes to have more fat of a kind thought to be, instead of more of a kind of fat they think. This changes the meaning, so C is incorrect
D and E are eliminated due to the following reason:
The first part is a modifier, According to recent studies..blah blah blah..,
This part logically should start with wild animals instead of total fat.

for e.g.:
According to recent studies, wild animals have less fat
is better than
According to recent studies, less fat is in wild animals

o B it is

According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat from wild animals and meat from domesticated animals, wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is good for cardiac health.

(A) wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is

(B) wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be

(C) wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be

(D) total fat of wild animals is less than livestock fed on grain and they have more fat of a kind thought to be

(E) total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: General Management (Retail)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2019, 22:19
kokusanhin wrote:
According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat from wild animals and meat from domesticated animals, wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is good for cardiac health.

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 83: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/19/health/vital-signs-nutrition-but-what-did-the-cow-have-for-lunch.html

Wild animals not only have less total fat than livestock fed on grain, but more of their fat is of a kind (omega-3) thought to be good for cardiac health, and less of a kind (omega-6) that promotes heart disease, said the studies, published in the March issue of The European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Many of the same benefits were found in grass-fed livestock, also known as free range.

Nutritional Value

(A) Pronoun (they)

(B) CORRECT Topic (question text);

(C) Comparison (X less than Y)

(D) Comparison (X less than Y); Pronoun (they)

(E) Comparison (X less than Y); Pronouns (they; their)

First glance

The opening split (wild animals vs. total fat) doesn’t point clearly to a particular type of grammar rule. The underline does start just after a comma, so perhaps there is a meaning or modifier issue that dictates what noun should appear after the comma.

(Note: it turns out that there are no modifier issues. Sometimes, the first glance doesn’t provide a great starting point, as is the case on this problem.)

Issues

(1) Pronoun: they; their

The original sentence uses a pronoun: a fat they think is good for cardiac health. Who are they?

The only plural nouns in the sentence are studies and animals. The studies can’t think anything, and it’s illogical to say the animals think the fat is good for cardiac health. Eliminate (A) because there is no referent for the pronoun they.

Answers (D) and (E) contain the same error (no referent for they). Answer (E) uses their to refer to a type of animal, but is it referring to the wild animals or the domesticated animals? Eliminate (D) and (E) for pronoun problems.

(2) Comparison: X less than Y

The sentence makes a double comparison: Wild animals have less total fat than livestock have. In addition, wild animals have more of a “good” fat than livestock have. (Note: the word livestock can be singular or plural.)

Answers (A) and (B) make a correct comparison (though they use slightly different forms to do so). Answers (C), (D), and (E), however, have issues.

Answers (C) and (E) compare wild animals with that of livestock. What does the pronoun that refer to? It appears to refer to fat so try replacing that with fat: wild animals have less total fat than the fat of livestock fed on grain. If something seems off, you’re right! In this construction, the word fat is part of the core comparison idiom: one type of animal has less total fat than another type of animal. The comparison should be between the two types of animal: wild animals and livestock. Eliminate answers (C) and (E).

Answer (D) changes the comparison: total fat (of wild animals) and livestock fed on grain. The choice should compare the total fat of one type of animal to the total fat of another type of animal; instead, it compares the total fat of one type of animal to another type of animal. Eliminate choice (D).

The Correct Answer

Correct answer (B) removes the faulty pronoun entirely while still making a correct comparison: wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain. The sentence still does not say who thinks this fat is good for cardiac health, but that’s okay; the sentence isn’t required to do so, since there is no pronoun that needs a referent.

Obvious errors: "They" has no antecedent

A,D&E out.

B: contender. although "do" is missing for the parallelism to fit the best.
C: that of kills the parallelism. Rejected

IMO B is the best choice.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2019, 08:11
GMATNinja wrote:
That’s kind of a mess. Wild animals have less fat than livestock, but it wouldn’t make sense to say that “wild animals have less total fat.. than the total fat…” That comparison is thoroughly wrong. (C) is out.

Dear GMATNinja,

What about "wild animals' total fat is less than THAT OF domestic animals", would it then be correct? Would you please point out the differences in the structure of these two sentences that command different use of "that of"? Thanks!
VP
VP
P

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 03:07
[quote="kokusanhin"]According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat from wild animals and meat from domesticated animals, wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is good for cardiac health.

look at choice b
wild animals have less total fat than livestock
this can be interpreted
wild animals have less total fat than they have livestock. this is meaningless. we need "do" after "livestock" . this case happen when the comparison is in object of the first clause.
but this error is RELATIVE ERROR not ABSOLUTE ERROR (the names I make to remember easily) . this means this error can be acceptable if there is no better answer choice.

so, lack of "do" is not wrong ABSOLUTELY.

other answer choices contain clear errors.
e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 13:59
shabuzen102 wrote:

Dear GMATNinja,

What about "wild animals' total fat is less than THAT OF domestic animals", would it then be correct? Would you please point out the differences in the structure of these two sentences that command different use of "that of"? Thanks!

Hello shabuzen102,

Although your question is not directed to me, here is my answer to your question. :-)

Firstly, yes, wild animals' total fat is less than THAT OF domestic animals, this structure presents correct comparison between the total fat of the two animals. Now, let's understand why the usage of that of livestock in Choice C is incorrect.

Choice C says wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock. According to this statement. Wild animals have less total fat. That of livestock has more total fat. Does the second statement make sense? No, right? What is this that of livestock that has more total fat? We do not know. The sentence does not say anything about that. From the context of the sentence, we understand that the sentence intends to say that wild animals have less total fat. Livestock has more total fat. The comparison is between wild animals and livestock on the basis of the total fat that they contain. Hence, in the phrase that of livestock, that cannot refer to anything logical in the sentence.

But in the statement wild animals' total fat is less than that of livestock, we are saying wild animal's total fat is less. That (total fat) of livestock is more. Hence, the phrasing works.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2020, 00:48
egmat wrote:
Ridhimajain96 wrote:
how could B be the answer , fat of wild animals is compared with livestock
it should be "WILD ANIMALS HAVE LESS TOTAL FAT THAN LIVE STOCK FED ON GRAIN HAVE "

Hello Ridhimajain96,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

Following is the excerpt from the passage that presents the comparison in Choice B:

...wild animals have less total fat than livestock...

In the above structure, wild animals have been correctly compared to livestock.

The thing is the verb have or the helping verb do in place of have is understood after than because such omission does not lead to any ambiguity in comparison.

In total, there are three nouns in the above-mentioned structure - wild animals, livestock, and total fat. Needless to say that only the first two noun entities can be logically compared in the context of this sentence. Wild animals cannot be logically compared to total fat.

Such omissions are NOT allowed when doing so leads to ambiguous comparison.

You may go through our elaborate article named HOW FAR ELLIPSIS IS PERMISSIBLE IN COMPARISON to understand in which sentences we must use the helping verb in the second part of the comparison and in which sentence we not in the following link:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-far-ellipsis-is-permissible-in-comparison-148973.html

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hello e-gmat team,
A prompt question , could you please shed some light on the 3 sentences below, would they be considered correct?

I used does and has because the livestock is a mass noun
1) wild animals have less total fat than livestock does fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be
2) wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed has on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be
3) wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed does have on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2020, 13:17
Hi,
OG732 OA E is using that of XXX. The same structure as this question in C. So why that of XX in C is incorrect.

OG732 OA E
Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but only 4 million in population, where many are members of hill tribes ensconced in the virtually inaccessible mountain valleys of the north.
E. comparable to that of Great Britain but a population of only 4 million people, many of whom

C. wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more
fat of a kind thought to be
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2020, 00:49
(A) wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is -- Incorrect. "they" has no referent here.

(B) wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be -- Correct choice.

(C) wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be -- Incorrect. Comparison issue. Wild animals are being compared not to livestock but to "that" of livestock, possibly meat.

(D) total fat of wild animals is less than livestock fed on grain and they have more fat of a kind thought to be -- Incorrect. Comparison issue. Total fat is being compared to livestock.

(E) total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is - Incorrect. "they" has no referent here.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2020, 05:59
yearac wrote:
Hi,
OG732 OA E is using that of XXX. The same structure as this question in C. So why that of XX in C is incorrect.

OG732 OA E
Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but only 4 million in population, where many are members of hill tribes ensconced in the virtually inaccessible mountain valleys of the north.
E. comparable to that of Great Britain but a population of only 4 million people, many of whom

C. wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more
fat of a kind thought to be

First of all, comparing sentences from different problems is rarely productive (for more on that, check out the rant in this post). Just because a construction works in one correct answer choice doesn't mean that construction is always correct. And just because a construction doesn't work in an incorrect answer choice doesn't mean that it's always wrong. This problem and OG732 are entirely different (wild?) animals.

In choice (C), "that of" seems to refer to "total fat". That leaves us with “wild animals have less total fat than the total fat of livestock fed on grain…” As explained here, that doesn't make much sense.

Meanwhile, in choice (E) of OG732, "that of" refers to "land area. That gives us, "Laos has a land area comparable to the land area Great Britain..." This comparison makes perfect sense.

For more on the use of "that" in GMAT SC, check out this article or this video.

I hope this helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2020, 23:04

What is they referring to ? – No Noun Antecedent

Best of All.
Concise.

Replace “that” of livestock with total fat, the sentence will be – wild animals have less total fat than the total fat of livestock.
This is awkward – wild animals have less total fat than “the total fat” of livestock fed on grain….

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2020, 12:10
“wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain” I think this is illogical comparison between fat and livestock
GMAT Club Bot
Re: According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat fr   [#permalink] 10 Jul 2020, 12:10

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 75 posts ] 

According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat fr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics