Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advertisement: Today's consumer expects a level of personali

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Georgia Tech Thread Master
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 29

GMAT ToolKit User
Advertisement: Today's consumer expects a level of personali [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2014, 10:36
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (02:35) correct 47% (01:24) wrong based on 121 sessions
Advertisement: Today's consumer expects a level of personalized customer care that was undreamt of only recently. Every advance in personalized care increases customer expectations. The company that is satisfied with its present level of customer care will soon find that its customers no longer are. At Courtier Services, our goal is to meet or exceed our customers' expectations.

Based on the statements in the advertisement above, which of the following must be true?

A. Courtier Services's goal can only be met if continuing improvements in personalized customer care are possible.
B. A company that fails to anticipate customer expectations is bound to provide poor customer care.
C. Courtier Services will steal customers from its competitors unless they adopt its goal as their own.
D. If a company is satisfied with its present level of customer care, then the quality of its customer care is sure to decline.
E. Courtier Services presently meets or exceeds its customers' expectations for personalized customer care.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Important fact --> http://i.imgur.com/CKKBmmn.jpg

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 480 Q31 V24
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 46

Re: Advertisement: Today's consumer expects a level of personali [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2014, 02:20
I don't agree with OA.

According to me, Option B is correct.

Kindly provide the OE.
Georgia Tech Thread Master
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 29

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Advertisement: Today's consumer expects a level of personali [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2014, 03:04
DesiGmat wrote:
I don't agree with OA.

Kindly provide the OE.

Here ya go -
OE :

Identify the Question Type:
This can be identified as an Inference question because it asks for the answer choice which must be true.

Untangle the Stimulus:
Everything in the stimulus must be treated as true. We see some very strong language in the stimulus. According to the stimulus, customer expectations are always increasing, and and Courtier Services seeks to meet or exceed those expectations.

Predict the Answer:
Since Courtier Services intends to meet expectations that keep rising, we can infer that Courtier Services expects their capabilities to meet those expectations to keep improving as well.

Evaluate the Choices:
Answer Choice (A) says that Courtier Services's goal can only be met if continuing improvements in personalized customer care are possible. This is information also given in the stimulus, so this is the correct inference.
Choice (B) is not implied in the stimulus, since a company can fail to anticipate customer expectations and still provide good customer care. This is an irrelevant inference.
Choice (C) is not implied in the stimulus, because success in maintaining and attracting customers depends only on the ability to provide personalized customer care, not on a company's specific goal regarding customer service. This is an inference that is too extreme.
Choice (D) is not implied in the stimulus either—a company that is satisfied with its present level of customer care may not see the quality of its customer care decline, but, according to the stimulus, its customers may no longer be satisfied with present level of care. This inference focuses on a faulty use of detail.
Choice (E) states that Courtier Services presently meets or exceeds its customers' expectations for personalized customer care. This is an inference that is outside of the scope because having a goal does not necessarily imply that the goal has been met.

Important fact --> http://i.imgur.com/CKKBmmn.jpg

Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 276 [0], given: 67

Re: Advertisement: Today's consumer expects a level of personali [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2014, 07:26
DesiGmat wrote:
I don't agree with OA.

Kindly provide the OE.

B cannot be the answer. "Bound to Provide a poor customer care" is too strong for it to be an inference. Moreover the the argument nowhere states about the quality of customer care. It just states that if a company is satisfied with its customer care may not be able to withstand its customer base. No doubt if it continues to provide the same service it may be providing a good service, but not equalling its competitors'. There is no scope for a good or bad customer service in the argument. Hence B cannot be concluded.

Hit Kudos, If my post helps!!!

Archit
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 308

Re: Advertisement: Today's consumer expects a level of personali [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2014, 02:41
DesiGmat wrote:
I don't agree with OA.

I also don't agree with the OA.

MasterOogway wrote:
According to the stimulus, customer expectations are always increasing,

This is wrong. The stimulus says that customer expectations increases with every advance in personalized care. So, if there are no advancements in personalized care there is no reason to believe that customer expectations will rise.

So, Courtier Services's goal can be met even if there is no improvement in personalized customer care. Having said this, I don't agree with any of the other choices as well.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 34

CAT Tests
Re: Advertisement: Today's consumer expects a level of personali [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2014, 04:53
sathishkumar434 wrote:
DesiGmat wrote:
I don't agree with OA.

I also don't agree with the OA.

MasterOogway wrote:
According to the stimulus, customer expectations are always increasing,

This is wrong. The stimulus says that customer expectations increases with every advance in personalized care. So, if there are no advancements in personalized care there is no reason to believe that customer expectations will rise.

So, Courtier Services's goal can be met even if there is no improvement in personalized customer care. Having said this, I don't agree with any of the other choices as well.

No, the OE is correct.

Choice (B) is simply too extreme: Simply saying that a company that is satisfied with its present level of customer care is not the same as failing to anticipate customer expectations, nor is providing poor customer care necessarily correlative to having customers no longer interested in a company's service. That'd require an unwarranted leap in logic --- an assumption ~ something we can't do with these tricky inference type questions.

Choice (A) says that Courtier Services's goal can only be met if continuing improvements in personalized customer care are possible.
This is something directly found in the stimulus; as a result, we can draw up the proper conclusion.
Re: Advertisement: Today's consumer expects a level of personali   [#permalink] 14 Jun 2014, 04:53