Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 04:07 It is currently 14 May 2024, 04:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38941 [43]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42112 [15]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4701 [5]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42112 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Among the skills tested on the standardized tests given to military pi [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
A C and E are out for using a plural verb for the singular subject of ‘imagination. D is a fragment. Leftover is only B; I believe, these topics are just warm - ups
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 323 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Re: Among the skills tested on the standardized tests given to military pi [#permalink]
Bookmarks
daagh wrote:
A C and E are out for using a plural verb for the singular subject of ‘imagination. D is a fragment. Leftover is only B; I believe, these topics are just warm - ups

sir,
i have a question that if we don't consider imagination as subject and if we think that th whole clause before verb act as a subject then verb is also singular and i wanna know if the whole clause before verb act as a subject does it make sense to you? please reply me as soon as possible thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 323 [0]
Send PM
sir,
i have a question that if we don't consider imagination as subject and if we think that th whole clause before verb act as a subject then verb is also singular and i wanna know if the whole clause before verb act as a subject does it make sense to you? please reply me as soon as possible thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 323 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
[quote="daagh"]Among the skills tested on the standardized tests given to military pilots are orthographic imagination, the name given to the ability to visualize the appearance of objects from different angles.

rishab:

The way to read this inverted sentence is: Orthographic imagination are among the skills tested on the standardized tests given to military pilots, the name given to the ability to visualize the appearance of objects from different angles.

Now you may see why orthographic observation are is incorrect. So imagination is the subject and not the entire clause before the verb 'are'.

basically sir i never studied this in my egmat course its really weird that they didn't even introduced such a thing the thing that i studied is if clause or phrase act as a subject then verb is always singular and when i applied that knowledge here it make sense to me but thanks sir for your crucial time
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Among the skills tested on the standardized tests given to military pilots are orthographic imagination, the name given to the ability to visualize the appearance of objects from different angles.

rishab:

The way to read this inverted sentence is: Orthographic imagination are among the skills tested on the standardized tests given to military pilots, the name given to the ability to visualize the appearance of objects from different angles.

Now you may see why orthographic observation are is incorrect. So imagination is the subject and not the entire clause before the verb 'are'.

Other examples:

1. Among the emotions on display in the negotiating room were anger for repeatedly raising the issue over and over again and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles from ever beginning to heal.

(A) were anger for repeatedly raising the issue over and over again and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles from ever beginning to heal
(B) was anger for repeatedly raising the issue and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles from ever beginning to heal
(C) were anger over repeatedly raising the issue and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles to begin healing
(D) was anger about the issue, which was raised over and over, and preventing the wounds from earlier battles, still raw, to begin healing
(E) were anger about the issue, which was raised repeatedly, and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles to begin to heal

Answer B
2. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.

A. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow
B. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are, it is believed, the rate of tree growth
C. On Earth, the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles
D. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles, believed to be the tree growth rate
E. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles is believed to be the rate at which trees grow
Ans: E.
3. The Achaemenid empire of Persia reached the Indus Valley in the fifth century B.C., bringing the Aramaic script with it, from which was derived both northern and southern Indian alphabets.
(A) the Aramaic script with it, from which was derived both northern and
(B) the Aramaic script with it, and from which deriving both the northern and the
(C) with it the Aramaic script, from which derive both the northern and the
(D) with it the Aramaic script, from which derives both northern and
(E) with it the Aramaic script, and deriving from it both the northern and
Ans: C.

It seems my problem is much basic: I really cannot get the verb / subject structure of the sentence.
"Among the skills tested on the standardized tests given to military pilots are orthographic imagination, the name given to the ability to visualize the appearance of objects from different angles."

among the skills. ... are bla bla. what kind of clause order is that?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Operations (Retail)
Send PM
can anyone suggest whether - "Among X is Y" is the correct structure or "Among X include Y" is.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
aggvipul wrote:
can anyone suggest whether - "Among X is Y" is the correct structure or "Among X include Y" is.

aggvipul, the former. The later is redundant as Among gives a sense of inclusiveness.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GPA: 4
WE:Design (Real Estate)
Send PM
here the subject is orthographic imagination which should be singular thus is option B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
in E] can we say 'among' / 'include' are redundant.

Also, in E] the subject for the verb 'include' is 'Skills' which is plural. Am I right?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4684 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:
in E] can we say 'among' / 'include' are redundant.

Also, in E] the subject for the verb 'include' is 'Skills' which is plural. Am I right?

Hello himanshu0123,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, in Option E the subject of the sentence, and thus the verb "include", is actually the singular "orthographic observation".

Further, yes; the use of "include" alongside "among" is redundant.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts