GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 19:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Among the skills tested on the standardized tests given to military pi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
Among the skills tested on the standardized tests given to military pi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2016, 14:24
Top Contributor
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (00:50) correct 36% (01:03) wrong based on 384 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Among the skills tested on the standardized tests given to military pilots are orthographic imagination, the name given to the ability to visualize the appearance of objects from different angles.

A. Pilots are orthographic imagination, the name given to the
B. Pilots is orthographic imagination, the
C. Pilots are orthographic imagination, which is the
D. Pilots, including orthographic imagination, the
E. Pilots include orthographic imagination, the

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Among the skills tested on the standardized tests given to military pi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2016, 23:16
Top Contributor
A C and E are out for using a plural verb for the singular subject of ‘imagination. D is a fragment. Leftover is only B; I believe, these topics are just warm - ups

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Among the skills tested on the standardized tests given to military pi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 10:40
AbdurRakib wrote:
Among the skills tested on the standardized tests given to military pilots are orthographic imagination, the name given to the ability to visualize the appearance of objects from different angles.

A. Pilots are orthographic imagination, the name given to the
B. Pilots is orthographic imagination, the
C. Pilots are orthographic imagination, which is the
D. Pilots, including orthographic imagination, the
E. Pilots include orthographic imagination, the

The highlighted portion means that Only one skill is mentioned in the previous part of the sentence...

Errors in the other options marked in red , correct answer must be (B)

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2017, 03:28
daagh wrote:
A C and E are out for using a plural verb for the singular subject of ‘imagination. D is a fragment. Leftover is only B; I believe, these topics are just warm - ups

sir,
i have a question that if we don't consider imagination as subject and if we think that th whole clause before verb act as a subject then verb is also singular and i wanna know if the whole clause before verb act as a subject does it make sense to you? please reply me as soon as possible thank you
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2017, 03:30
sir,
i have a question that if we don't consider imagination as subject and if we think that th whole clause before verb act as a subject then verb is also singular and i wanna know if the whole clause before verb act as a subject does it make sense to you? please reply me as soon as possible thank you
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2017, 04:31
Top Contributor

rishab:

The way to read this inverted sentence is: Orthographic imagination are among the skills tested on the standardized tests given to military pilots, the name given to the ability to visualize the appearance of objects from different angles.

Now you may see why orthographic observation are is incorrect. So imagination is the subject and not the entire clause before the verb 'are'.

Other examples:

1. Among the emotions on display in the negotiating room were anger for repeatedly raising the issue over and over again and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles from ever beginning to heal.

(A) were anger for repeatedly raising the issue over and over again and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles from ever beginning to heal
(B) was anger for repeatedly raising the issue and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles from ever beginning to heal
(C) were anger over repeatedly raising the issue and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles to begin healing
(D) was anger about the issue, which was raised over and over, and preventing the wounds from earlier battles, still raw, to begin healing
(E) were anger about the issue, which was raised repeatedly, and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles to begin to heal

Answer B
2. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.

A. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow
B. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are, it is believed, the rate of tree growth
C. On Earth, the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles
D. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles, believed to be the tree growth rate
E. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles is believed to be the rate at which trees grow
Ans: E.
3. The Achaemenid empire of Persia reached the Indus Valley in the fifth century B.C., bringing the Aramaic script with it, from which was derived both northern and southern Indian alphabets.
(A) the Aramaic script with it, from which was derived both northern and
(B) the Aramaic script with it, and from which deriving both the northern and the
(C) with it the Aramaic script, from which derive both the northern and the
(D) with it the Aramaic script, from which derives both northern and
(E) with it the Aramaic script, and deriving from it both the northern and
Ans: C.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 03:52
[quote="daagh"]Among the skills tested on the standardized tests given to military pilots are orthographic imagination, the name given to the ability to visualize the appearance of objects from different angles.

rishab:

The way to read this inverted sentence is: Orthographic imagination are among the skills tested on the standardized tests given to military pilots, the name given to the ability to visualize the appearance of objects from different angles.

Now you may see why orthographic observation are is incorrect. So imagination is the subject and not the entire clause before the verb 'are'.

basically sir i never studied this in my egmat course its really weird that they didn't even introduced such a thing the thing that i studied is if clause or phrase act as a subject then verb is always singular and when i applied that knowledge here it make sense to me but thanks sir for your crucial time
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2018, 03:15
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

Re: Among the skills tested on the standardized tests given to military pi &nbs [#permalink] 07 Sep 2018, 03:15

Among the skills tested on the standardized tests given to military pi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap