Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.43
WE:Operations (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.32
WE:Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GRE 1: Q164 V167
GPA: 3.36
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
jsnaza wrote:
Have we learned about how many admits go out before the deadline? It seems like about 70% have went out already.

I have a decent background, but I had a terrible interview. I think the Skype-factor killed me.

In round 1, more than half of the offers came on the decision deadline itself.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
mbauclaanderson:

Can you tell us more about why you're not happy with UCLA Anderson?

Forget rankings; some of us (probably most of us if not all of us) applied to Anderson for reasons beyond rankings. As mentioned by others above, please tell us the following:

1) Your experiences with professors

2) Your experiences with classmates

3) Your experiences with the Career Center with respect to the following:
a. Finding interesting opportunities
b. Getting career preparation for your internship/full-time job

4) Your experiences in interacting with alumni

5) Your experiences with the clubs:
a. Which one(s) were most beneficial/enjoyable for you?
b. Which one(s) did you not like? And why?

6) What else makes you happy/unhappy at the school? What do you wish you had done differently?

I think I speak for all of us when I say that we will get much more value from your input if you talk about those aspects. Thank you!

mbauclaanderson wrote:
To everyone that was admitted congratulations, but please be careful in considering your decision on which school to attend. I wanted to share this letter that current students received from Dean Olian regarding UCLA Anderson's US News rankings. As a current student, it definitely feels like Anderson is focused on gaming the ranking system, instead of providing a high quality education. I'm sure some of you felt this during your interview/visits. Some professors have been very vocal with their disapproval of this policy.

Letter from Judy Olian

To the UCLA Anderson MBA Community:

U.S. News & World Report (USN&WR) today issued its annual rankings of business schools. UCLA Anderson’s Full-Time MBA program is ranked 16, down two spots from last year. For more on the USN&WR rankings, go here.

Various rankings measure different variables and use diverse methodologies. For the full-time MBA program, USN&WR measures peer and recruiter perceptions (40% of the overall weighting), entering applicant quality and selectivity metrics (25%), and graduating class employment and compensation rates (35%). For the detailed methodology, go here.

While there were small improvements in Anderson’s 2014 MBA USN&WR peer assessments and average entering GMAT scores, we dropped a little on average entering GPA. The biggest decline relative to our peers occurred in our placement metrics: Percent of students employed at graduation, three-months post-graduation, and average starting salary.

Our analysis indicates that our relative MBA rankings would likely improve with very modest increases in job placements at graduation and three-months post-graduation. We believe that the changes we have made in admissions, course offerings, career and job search preparation through workshops, counseling and peer coaching will lead to increasingly positive employment outcomes among the MBA student body. As many of you know from our ongoing discussions and town meetings about program rankings, three years ago we revamped our admissions and employment strategies with the view that the results of these changes would take several years to work through the system.

The Fully-Employed MBA (FEMBA) program ranking in USN&WR is tied for 4th, up one spot since 2013; and the Executive MBA (EMBA) program is ranked 8th, down one spot from last year.

Other surveys use different metrics, resulting in diverse rankings. Following is a list of various survey rankings reported over the past several months:

• Economist first Executive MBA (EMBA) rankings released July 24, 2013: ranked the UCLA – NUS Program 3 globally, and the EMBA program 13 globally (3rd in the US).

• Forbes Full-Time MBA ranking released October 9, 2013: ranked 13, up from 20 in 2011.

• Economist Full-Time MBA ranking released October 10, 2013: ranked 18 globally, up from 23 in 2012. Ranked 12 in the US, up from 15 in 2012.

• Financial Times EMBA released October 21, 2013: ranked 42 overall, down from 39 in 2012. Ranked 10 in the US, down from 9 in 2012.

• Financial Times also ranked UCLA – NUS Executive MBA (EMBA) released October 21, 2013: ranked 5 worldwide, same as the prior year.

• Bloomberg/Businessweek EMBA and FEMBA released November 7, 2013: FEMBA ranked 4, down from 2 in 2011. EMBA ranked 5, same as in 2011.

• Financial Times Global MBA released January 27, 2014: ranked 26 overall, down from 23 in 2013. Ranked 14 in the US, down from 13 in 2013.

• Expansion Magazine Global MBA released March 4, 2014: ranked 24, up from 26 last year, 15 in the US.

The outcomes of these surveys, as well as the cumulative trends across surveys conducted throughout the year, contribute to our understanding of how our programs are perceived by students, recruiters and peers.

We are especially focused on enhancing our students’ learning and development experiences, and continue to augment financial aid and introduce programmatic improvements based on feedback from our students, alumni, employers, program deans and staff, and our faculty. The many innovations we’ve instituted in course electives, specializations and career services are designed to address our students’ career interests and the requirements of the 21st century marketplace. We expect these to be reflected also in improved MBA rankings in the future.

I welcome your feedback, suggestions and comments. Please send them to me at: dean@anderson.ucla.edu

Dean Judy Olian

Judy D. Olian
Dean and John E. Anderson Chair in Management

mbauclaanderson wrote:
Attachment:
usnews_jpeg_20140224.jpg

Attachment:
ft_jpeg_20140224.jpg

Hello Applicants,

I am currently a student in one of UCLA Anderson's MBA programs. Deciding to attend UCLA Anderson was a terrible decision for me and I feel like if I had more accurate information, I would not have made this decision. In the next few weeks when all of you are making your decision, I want to be a resource for you so that you do not make the same mistake that I did. I will post about the rankings, administration, professors, culture, etc. Please stay tuned, and thank you for your patience.

1. UCLA Anderson is a school that is heading in the wrong direction
As you can see that after Dean Judy Olian was appointed in 2006, UCLA Anderson has continually done worse in the US News Rankings and according to the Financial Times fewer and fewer UCLA Anderson alumni are recommending their own school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
mbauclaanderson - good luck on your finals this week!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
alybaba216 wrote:
I really don't understand what is going on with my application. I submitted it in R2 and have heard nothing in terms of an interview invite or a ding, while admits are now going out. I don't see the point of stretching this out for applicants and would rather have received a ding by now.

I agree. I'm on the same boat and this is frustrating. but on the plus side it means that I may still have hope.. haha

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
Doesn't look good for me, most likely dinged as I was never interviewed. Congrats to all those admitted. I take my leave on this forum.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The wait is frustrating. I interviewed about a month and a half ago and I haven't heard anything since.

Just gotta be patient. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.48
WE:Other (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Hi Guys,

For the applicants not joining anderson or not selected at Anderson what is the procedure to obtain their respective original transcript / Degree Certificate ?

Regards,
R2K
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Supply Chain Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
r2k wrote:
Hi Guys,

For the applicants not joining anderson or not selected at Anderson what is the procedure to obtain their respective original transcript / Degree Certificate ?

Regards,
R2K

They had clearly mentioned that any document you submit to UCLA will become their property. That is why they had requested for copies of original transcripts as they do not plan to return it. If you have submitted your one and only copy then I suggest you can write a mail to them explaining your situation post you get a revert on the admission status.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.48
WE:Other (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
qw1981 wrote:
r2k wrote:
Hi Guys,

Regards,
R2K

They had clearly mentioned that any document you submit to UCLA will become their property. That is why they had requested for copies of original transcripts as they do not plan to return it. If you have submitted your one and only copy then I suggest you can write a mail to them explaining your situation post you get a revert on the admission status.

thanks gw1981 - that is what i plan to do.

actually if someone is not selected / not planning to join them then I don't see any logic in withholding their respective transcripts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE:Analyst (Health Care)
Send PM
r2k wrote:
qw1981 wrote:
r2k wrote:
Hi Guys,

Regards,
R2K

thanks gw1981 - that is what i plan to do.

actually if someone is not selected / not planning to join them then I don't see any logic in withholding their respective transcripts.

If someone submitted official transcripts, I'm sure the adcom opened them up resulting in them becoming unofficial transcripts. So if you plan on using them for other applications you may be out of luck.

Still worth a shot though if you submitted something of more worth, like an official degree.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
So much is riding on the Anderson decision for me now. I'm on so many waitlists right now lol- it would be so nice to get an admit to Anderson next week, so I can have much more certainty with this process. *crosses fingers*
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Looks like no more admits until the deadline. I thought there would be a few more last night.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ProleFeed13 wrote:
jackanatic wrote:
Looks like no more admits until the deadline. I thought there would be a few more last night.

Yeah, I'm curious about the Anderson process myself given my other results, but I guess we just have to be patient...fwiw, I believe Duke (and Yale, should you get there) are both active with admitting from waitlists, so there's definitely still hope should you not be enthusiastic about USC.

My background and intended post-mba field are in film/television production, so USC is a pretty good choice for me. I live in Southern California and I will definitely stay here post graduation.

I see you have experience in the entertainment industry as well. Your applications seem to have been very successful. Where do you plan to attend, and do you intend to stay in this business?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Anderson was very responseful with me. The adcom always answered my emails quickly. Interacted with about a half dozen students and they always answered me with long emails. Had an hour long conversation with one. I think maybe the issue is they don't start responding until students are accepted, since they get so many applicant?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
If you don't get an interview, it this pretty much a ding or is there a chance you get W/L?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Same question as gnova01. I will need to make a decision very soon... still waiting :(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V38
Send PM
Just one more day to go before the decisions get released by Anderson! Good luck to you all and try to not think about it too much tomorrow :roll:
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54  ...  56   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts