Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2005, 05:04
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (02:25) correct 50% (04:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.
(A) the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
(B) the chips’ circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
(C) the chips’ circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
(D) their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
(E) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2005, 06:08
'A' - makes it sound like the power & the electronic device they drive have increased.
'B' - does not alter the intent and maintains the subject-verb agreemnt - the power .....has increased - this would be my choice
'C' - memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits are more complex - parallelism
'D' - same as 'C'
'E' - same as 'A'

Last edited by rthothad on 18 Jan 2005, 06:15, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2005, 06:19
B is the best. Used 'both' at the appropriate position. 'power has' is right.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2005, 06:23
OA is (B)
Should (B) be like this "the chips’ circuits ARE more complex, "? Can someone explain the grammar part in (B)?
I think the word "and" connects two clause "the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner" and "the chips’ circuits ARE more complex". How is it possibile to connect one CLAUSE and one PHRASE (as in (B)) with "and"? This does not make sense to me.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2005, 07:02
I just don't understand the grammatical construction in (B).
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2005, 07:07
As far as I remember this one is from the official guide so must be ad minima explained by ets.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2005, 09:32
qhoc0010 wrote:
OA is (B)
Should (B) be like this "the chips’ circuits ARE more complex, "? Can someone explain the grammar part in (B)?
I think the word "and" connects two clause "the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner" and "the chips’ circuits ARE more complex". How is it possibile to connect one CLAUSE and one PHRASE (as in (B)) with "and"? This does not make sense to me.

This one is from ETS paper test. Can someone answer my question?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2005, 11:14
qhoc,
The sentence is saying that the chips have become thinner and more complex at the same time. The keyword here is "as" . introducing the "are" would mean that chip circuits are definitely complex. The sentence says they are becoming complex but are not complex yet.

HTH
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2005, 11:26
B is my answer..."both the power of the..." (in A) versus "the power of both the.." (in B) was what made me pick B

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2005, 18:15
Sorry for the late reply...
Here's why I chose B..
As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and _________________________________________________ vastly increased.

In the given sentence we need to talk about the POWER of BOTH the elements " Chips and Electronic devices" and then POWER being singular should be followed by "has"...and B fulfils the requirement.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2005, 11:25
But look at the first part

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex...

If you say "are" is not appropriate, there must be some kind of "verb" here right? Such as:

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits become more complex...

I don't understand why there is a "phrase" connected with a clause by "and"
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2005, 13:05
I thought (B) looked right but can someone give a grammatical explanation as to why

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has vastly increased
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2005, 19:45
qhoc0010 wrote:
But look at the first part

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex...

If you say "are" is not appropriate, there must be some kind of "verb" here right? Such as:

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits become more complex...

I don't understand why there is a "phrase" connected with a clause by "and"

qhoc, the reason why B is correct is because it has to do with the concept of ellipsis; B's structure is called an elliptical clause. Let's look at it.

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits [have become] more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has vastly increased

What is within the brackets is ellipsed but you still can understand what the sentence conveys.
Read on about ellipsis and elliptical clauses:
http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/clau ... al_clauses

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2005, 12:30
So it is OK to say this:

When the cat becomes older and the dog bigger .....

instead of

When the cat becomes older and the becomes dog bigger .....
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2005, 14:09
When the cat becomes older and the dog bigger

is absolutely correct!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2005, 14:11
qhoc0010 wrote:
So it is OK to say this:

When the cat becomes older and the dog bigger .....

instead of

When the cat becomes older and the becomes dog bigger .....

The first sentence is best but the second sentence could be rephrased as follows: When the cat becomes older and the dog becomes bigger
Although the above is good, you can see that by "ellipsing" the verb, the sentence is much more concise(cutting out the unnecessary repetition of "becomes") and makes it for an economical use of words without ruining the author's intent

Best Regards,

Paul

[#permalink] 20 Jan 2005, 14:11