It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 10:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 1050 [2], given: 4

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2007, 11:28
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (00:42) correct 39% (00:49) wrong based on 1928 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.

(A) the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
(B) the chips’ circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
(C) the chips’ circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
(D) their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
(E) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hazelnut on 10 Aug 2017, 22:08, edited 2 times in total.
Formatted the question & added the OA

Kudos [?]: 1050 [2], given: 4

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 330 [3], given: 0

Re: As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2007, 13:10
This post received
KUDOS
Fistail wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.

(A) the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
(B) the chips’ circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
(C) the chips’ circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
(D) their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
(E) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have

Please EXPLAIN your answer.

i am also but stuck on this one. I got B too using some other method.

can any one explain why B? why "the chips’ circuits more complex" is not complete?

the chips' circuits more complex is the same in A and B. that's not the issue.

B is correct because "____ vastly increased" at the end of the sentence refers back to "the power" which is singular. even though it's talking about the power of two different things, it has to be "has vastly increased" instead of "have vastly increased"

Kudos [?]: 330 [3], given: 0

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 113 [3], given: 0

Re: As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2007, 20:35
This post received
KUDOS
It's B.

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has vastly increased.

Kudos [?]: 113 [3], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 1050 [1], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2007, 08:21
This post received
KUDOS
b14kumar wrote:
It's B.

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has vastly increased.

thanks

I now see that AC are both not parallel and DE have ambiguous referents.

Kudos [?]: 1050 [1], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2007, 08:43
This post received
KUDOS
I go for B.

D and E -> their usage is ambiguous

A and C -> It's the power that increased... not the circuits/devices

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 0

CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 1050 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2007, 19:35
bmwhype2 wrote:
b14kumar wrote:
It's B.

thanks

I now see that AC are both not parallel and DE have ambiguous referents.

alright made another mistake...DE do not have ambiguous referents.

Kudos [?]: 1050 [0], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2007, 22:18
This post received
KUDOS
I'm sorry, but I'm still very confused here.

I think that answer B sounds incomplete. Should it be the chips’ circuits have become more complex?

Thanx!

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 141 [2], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2007, 04:09
This post received
KUDOS
mashi wrote:
I'm sorry, but I'm still very confused here.

I think that answer B sounds incomplete. Should it be the chips’ circuits have become more complex?

Thanx!

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has

Kudos [?]: 141 [2], given: 0

7 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [7], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2007, 11:13
This post received
KUDOS
139. As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.
(A) the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have (the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased=>does not make sense=>OUT)
(B) the chips’ circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has (the power...has=>OK)
(C) the chips’ circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has (both...has=>OUT)
(D) their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have (the power....have=>OUT)
(E) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have (the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased=>does not make sense=>OUT)

Kudos [?]: 57 [7], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 516 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2007, 23:09
This post received
KUDOS
bmwhype2 wrote:
139. As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.

Need to use idiom Both X and Y.

Both the power of the chips and the electronic devices... incorrect usage, should be both the power of X and the power of Y.

Elmin ACE.

I was actually stuck btwn B and D b/c I couldn't figure out whether to use have or has.

however, "the power" requires has. So I choose B.

Kudos [?]: 516 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2008, 16:04
the OA is B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2009, 01:41
ioiio wrote:
I go for B.

D and E -> their usage is ambiguous

A and C -> It's the power that increased... not the circuits/devices

Is it really correct that it should be "power... has" (both singular) instead of "powers ... have" (both plural), because it refers to two nouns?
I am not a English native speaker.

Thanks a lot (one more to my error log!)

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 3

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2009, 08:20
This post received
KUDOS
(A) the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have - subject-verb agreement and idiom (both)
(C) the chips’ circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has - idiom (both)
(D) their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have - not clear lines or chips
(E) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have - not clear lines or chips

B for me

Kudos [?]: 33 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 7

Schools: Darden:Tepper:UCUIC:Kenan Flager:Nanyang:NUS:ISB:UCI Merage:Emory
WE 1: 3

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2009, 05:13
Prometoh wrote:
(A) the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have - subject-verb agreement and idiom (both)
(C) the chips’ circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has - idiom (both)
(D) their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have - not clear lines or chips
(E) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have - not clear lines or chips

B for me

Please someone explain me why "power" is taken as singular... we are here talking about powers of two different items and "have" should have been used here...

++ kudos will be given for the right explanation!!!

Second cut is the deepest cut!!!:P

Manager
Manager

Schools: Darden:Tepper:UCUIC:Kenan Flager:Nanyang:NUS:ISB:UCI Merage:Emory
WE 1: 3

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2009, 06:33
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:

Need to use idiom Both X and Y.

Both the power of the chips and the electronic devices... incorrect usage, should be both the power of X and the power of Y.

Elmin ACE.

I was actually stuck btwn B and D b/c I couldn't figure out whether to use have or has.

however, "the power" requires has. So I choose B.

Well as you said you were stuck between B and D ..the simple way of eliminating D is looking at the usage of "their circuits" in the beginning. Ambigous since we dont know "their" refers to lines or chips.

hope it helped... I must thank u for clearing my doubt in option A.!!!

cheers!!! :-D

Second cut is the deepest cut!!!:P

Intern
Intern
Status: "You never fail until you stop trying." ~Albert Einstein~

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2010, 19:49
B is the best answer because the singular subject "the power" agrees with the verb "has" but shouldn't the preposition in B "of" be followed by a noun because "of" is not a preposition, according to Spidey notes pg 13, that can be part of a subordinating conjunction?

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2010, 01:35
bmwhype2 wrote:

The correct answer is B because
1) power is singular and hence requires a singular verb "has". This eliminates choices A D and E.
2) "both the power of the chips" implies that the chips have two powers which seems absurd. Correct usage would be "the power of both" (common to both chips and elctronic devices).

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7917 [2], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)
Re: As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2010, 12:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Let us sort out a few things first.

What is the subject of the main clause “both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has vastly increased? Is it ‘both the power’ or ‘the power of both”? This is essential to fix the SV number agreement, the one that is being tested here.

It is wrong to say ‘both the power of the chips and the electronic devices’, because if we are meaning to use power in the plural sense, then it should be ‘both the powers’. On the contrary, the power is meant to be used in singular here, byusibg the term ‘the power of both chips and the devices’ .
The clue therefore is that the right choice will use as subject ‘the power of both’ and as verb ‘has’
Going by this norm, B alone is the winner all the way.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7917 [2], given: 364

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7917 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2010, 12:35
A small request to all contributors. It is becoming difficult to follow by looking at captions such as Brutal SC NO, Need help with this SC, SC doubt etc. As a matter of simple procedure, if the first few words of the stimulus are incorporated in the title along with some appropriate tags, it will be very helpful. On the other day, I was contributing to one and the same topic in three different threads, all of them one after another. Moderators, can you please help set some uniform norms!?

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7917 [0], given: 364

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 66

Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2010, 12:42
daagh wrote:
Let us sort out a few things first.

What is the subject of the main clause “both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has vastly increased? Is it ‘both the power’ or ‘the power of both”? This is essential to fix the SV number agreement, the one that is being tested here.

It is wrong to say ‘both the power of the chips and the electronic devices’, because if we are meaning to use power in the plural sense, then it should be ‘both the powers’. On the contrary, the power is meant to be used in singular here, byusibg the term ‘the power of both chips and the devices’ .
The clue therefore is that the right choice will use as subject ‘the power of both’ and as verb ‘has’
Going by this norm, B alone is the winner all the way.

You're right. The OA is B.
I spent nine whole minutes on this q because I was trying so hard to sort out those things. Thank you for this clarification Daagh! It helps a lot! 1 kudos coming right up!

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 66

Re: As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become   [#permalink] 21 Dec 2010, 12:42

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 47 posts ] 

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap