Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 13:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 21:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,
(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations
(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and

Highlight for OA :
C

Last edited by prasad_bgv on 11 Jan 2005, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 21:22
(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,
pronoun 'them' does have an antecedent

(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter

(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
Rule: Modifying phrase needs to be followed by the subject that is modified(it also cannot be followed by a relative PN 'which', or PN 'it' etc). Here 'In her book illustrations' is being followed by which => wrong

(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations
OK
Correct modifier. Carefully coordinated with her narratives modifes the subject Beatrix Potter correctly

(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - beatrix potter [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 22:08
thenine wrote:
prasad_bgv wrote:
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

I am going c on this one

Damn it,

D is right... i got the modifier rule mixed up.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2005, 08:23
C looked OK to me, but on match day, i'll have chosen D and moved on. Can someone explain why it is C and not D?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2005, 08:52
Arsene_Wenger, In GMAT the relative pronoun 'which' is always used to give some extra information about the noun that it is modifying and set off by commas i.e you could remove the phrase and the sentence will still make sense.
I basically eliminated 'D' because it is altering the intent of the original sentence, in 'A' the emphasis is on the phrase 'In her book illustrations'
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2005, 09:54
hard to believe OA is C, I think it should be D, can you please check the OA again?

Praveen

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2005, 18:35

The "them" bothers me.

Same thing. You kind of expect the subject (or its corresponding pronoun, "she") to come after "In her book illustrations."

Sounds good.

"Carefully coordinated ..." describes "book illustrations," not "Beatrix Potter."

Sounds like "them" could stand for other things.

I pick C.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2005, 19:35
I see our friend Questor is back. Welcome :)

Praetorian
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2005, 22:27
Contention seems to be between C and D.

In (D).... Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations ...; the proximity of the misplaced modifier "Carefully coordinated ........." to Beatrix ambiguously implies Beatrix and not her illustrations.

Wrong.

C does a fine job. "Which" in GMATland should always follow the noun it is referring to. C follows this rule.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2005, 15:34
I think D doesnt modify the right noun.

It should modify her book illustrations and not Beatrix porter.
:lol:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2005, 16:08
On careful reading of the sentence again, in D Carefully coordinated with her narratives, needs to modify book illustrations and not Beatrix Potter.
D is wrong

One more thing. After some reasearch I found out that my reasoning for eliminating C is flawed

The corrected rule is as follows:
Rule: Modifying phrase needs to be followed by the subject that is modified(it also cannot be followed by a PN 'there', or PN 'it'. Relative PN 'which' is allowed).
Sorry for the confusion.
  [#permalink] 17 Jan 2005, 16:08