It is currently 21 Feb 2018, 17:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2008, 20:30
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (01:02) correct 38% (01:00) wrong based on 389 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 11th Edition, 2005

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 102
Page: 653

Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,

(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter

(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter

(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations

(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Hi Guys, I have difficulty to understand the OG explanation for elimination of option E.
It says: "them cannot refer back to book illustrations as it is object of the preposition in" ???? What does it exactly mean.
Is it some kind of rule , I hunted on net with faliure.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hazelnut on 30 Jan 2018, 21:36, edited 5 times in total.
Underlined properly
Manager
Manager
Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 03:53
Try to read it as -

"In her book illustrations, Beatrix Potter carefully coordinated them... and capitalized on .. observation and love..."

The above statement implies that the book illustrations were co-ordinated in the book illustrations which does not make sense. Hence the mention of the statement - "them cannot refer back to book illustrations as it is object of the preposition in".

However, when it is in written as, "In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter" the statement "carefully coordinating them with her narratives" separately describes the book illustrations avoiding any ambiguity with the preposition "in".

I hope this makes it clear.
Manager
Manager
Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2009, 20:44
Maulikgmat wrote:
aknine wrote:
E for me too.

Can u explain to who does them refer to.... in the sentence...Illustrations is the name of the book that Portor wrote....

I believe, "...in her book illustrations...", illustrations refers to the pictures in the book used for clarifying or exemplifying and secondly, had it been the name, it would have started with a capital letter.
'them' refers to these illustrations which the author has carefully coordinated with her narratives, keen observation and love of the natural world.

"Always....Read between the lines"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2009, 20:56
WhyabloodyMBA wrote:
OA is E.

I think you got it from the wrong source.

OA for this one is C. Its a question from OG 11
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2009, 17:53
This post received
KUDOS
Verb problem: coordinating and capitalized (two different tenses)
So A & B is wrong.
between C, D , E : c sounds right.

D : wrong place of modifier "In the illustrations".
Basically there are two modifiers.
1. Illustrations - which are carefully coordinated with her narratives by Beatrix
2. Beatrix potter, who capitalized on her...and (also coordinated illustrations)

You might think about mixing it. Like Beatrix coordinated illustrations and also capitalized it but its wrong.

E. again wrong place of modifier
11 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Fuqua, Tuck, Kellogg
WE 1: top medical device - ops, product development, acquisition integration
WE 2: IT startup

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2009, 19:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.
(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Verb parallelism
(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations Modifies Beatrix Potter
(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and --- Pronoun reference/ comma should be preceded by "and".No reference to "Them" if in her book illustrations is removed.

Correct answer is C
Intern
Intern
Schools: McMaster

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2010, 05:34

A. Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,
B. In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
C. In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
D. Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations
E. Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA: C

Two questions regarding answer choice C:
1. I couldn't figure out what the relative pronoun - which - is modifying in this sentence. Is it modifying the prepositional phrase (In her book illustrations) or the word - illustrations.
2. MGMAT says that "which" can only modify a noun in GMAT, not a sentence. So it must modifies illustrations. But I think we should use "in which" instead of "which", because we should say: she carefully coordinated with her narratives in illustrations. Right?

What about answer choice E. Why it is wrong?

Thanks.
Tuck Thread Master
Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2010, 05:39
Jasonlu1981 wrote:
2. MGMAT says that "which" can only modify a noun in GMAT, not a sentence. So it must modifies illustrations. But I think we should use "in which" instead of "which", because we should say: she carefully coordinated with her narratives in illustrations. Right?

What about answer choice E. Why it is wrong?

Thanks.

No,

She coordinated her narratives with illustrations.

In (E) pronoun "them" has no antecedent
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2011, 09:26
I have no doubt about pronoun 'them' in B. My question is all about modifier concept that OG explains. It's very confusing.
According to OG, 'carefully coordinating...' is in position to modify 'book illustrations', but my understanding is, 'carefully coordinating...' should modify 'Beatrix Potter' instead, which is similar to ''Walking along the road, Beatrix Potter saw several types of flowers''. Can anyone explain ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2011, 06:08
badplanner wrote:
I have no doubt about pronoun 'them' in B. My question is all about modifier concept that OG explains. It's very confusing.
According to OG, 'carefully coordinating...' is in position to modify 'book illustrations', but my understanding is, 'carefully coordinating...' should modify 'Beatrix Potter' instead, which is similar to ''Walking along the road, Beatrix Potter saw several types of flowers''. Can anyone explain ?

Yes your understanding is correct but you cant compare "Walking along the road, Beatrix Potter saw several types of flowers'' because you have only Beatrix Potter as the subject but in the given problem you have "Beatrice Potter" and "her book illustrations"....

Also to quote
Quote:
My question: according to OG explanation, B is wrong because phrase 'carefully coordinating....' illogically modifies the noun that immediately precedes it 'book illustrations'.
. The explanation is correct. Assuming B is correct, look at the sentence below:

In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

Probably this will help you to understand that carefully coordinating is modifying illustrations and not Beatrice.....

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2011, 21:26
Can you explain more detailed why 'carefully coordinating...'
must modify 'book illutrations' while 'carefully coordinating....' can also modify the following clause 'Beatrix Potter'. Is there any grammatical rule that validate this type of modifier ?

To my understanding, V-ing participle modify its preceeding noun when there's no comma (,) in between V-ing participle and preceeding noun. In this case, there's a comma in between 'book illustration' and 'carefully coordinating', it's very weird.

In terms of meaning, if 'carefully coordinating...' modifies 'book illustrations' (not 'in her book illustrations'), then who do the 'coordinating' ? book illustration ? i don't think so.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2011, 19:00
gautammalik wrote:
badplanner wrote:

(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,
(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations
(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and

[Reveal] Spoiler: My Doubt
My question: according to OG explanation, B is wrong because phrase 'carefully coordinating....' illogically modifies the noun that immediately precedes it 'book illustrations'. But i disagree with this explanation and my understanding is, phrase 'carefully coordinating...' modifies Beatrix Potter because its' Beatrix Potter who 'coordinating', not 'illustrations' do, hence answer choice B is correct. What's wrong with my understanding ? can somebody shed the light ?
GMAT loves to confuse test takers by creating multiple modifiers between S and V. It's critical to learn the correct understanding

A - Incorrect - them is ambigous
B - Incorrect - wrong placement of modifiers
C - Correct
D - Incorrect - Beatrix Potter was not Carefully coordinated
E - Incorrect - them is ambigous

'them' is not ambiguos. It clearly refers to book illustration. Them is used for plural & "beatrix potter is definitely not a plural". So the use of them is not ambiguous. :wink:
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2011, 23:31
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2011, 18:48
Answer is C. E has problem with the connecting word 'and'. You cannot say that "I will go to school, and study'. Instead, the correct is " I will go to school and study"

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: NUS
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2011, 08:09
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
[quote="sagarsabnis"]162. Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.
(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,them is ambiguous here
(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter improper modifier carefully coordinating...........
(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter Correct
(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations mispalced modifier
in her book illustrations is an essential modifier
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2012, 07:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
badplanner wrote:

Hi badplanner,

Choice B: In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
In this choice, we have verb-ing modifier “coordinating” after comma. The rule is if the verb-ing modifier is placed after comma, then it modifies the entire preceding clause. However, in this choice, there is not clause before the comma.

You are correct in saying that Beatrix Potter did the action of “coordinating” and logically it should refer to Potter. However, the placement of this modifier is such that it fails to do what it should do. Hence, logically “coordinating” is modifying Potter but grammatically it is not because of it placement after comma.

Let’s compare this choice with the example you have presented:

Walking along the road, Beatrix Potter saw several types of flowers.

There is no modifier error in this sentence. The sentence begins with the verb-ing modifier “walking”, and correctly modifies the subject of the main clause “Beatrix Potter” because she did the action of walking. Notice here that there is no comma before the verb-ing modifier.
In choice B of this OG question, we do have a comma before the verb-ing modifier. Thus it should modify the preceding clause. But there is no clause there. I also quite don’t agree to all the explanations of OG. They have terrific questions but not all the explanations are that good.

The usage of Verb-ing Modifiers has been covered in excruciating details in the "Modifiers - Verb-ing" Concept in the Level 1 Preview Concepts. This section is available for free. Just login to e-gmat.com, register for free and learn the concept.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2012, 04:51
Neat question that tests modifiers and pronouns.

Correct answer is:

-- 'which' correctly modifies illustrations.
-- 'she' and 'her' correctly represent Ms. Potter.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2012, 10:17
Voted for C because

(A)
Main clause :
Beatrix Potter, [prepositional phrase], [verb-ing modifier] ,capitalized [on her keen observation and love] [of the natural world].

[in her book illustrations],[carefully coordinating them with her narratives],

subject: Beatrix Potter
verb: capitalized
verb-ing modifer: coordinating - modifies prepositional phrase [in her book illustrations] - i think that wrong. also "them" is wrong - refers to illustrations. I think it should refer to book.

verb-ing modifer: coordinating - modifies prepositional phrase [in her book illustrations] - i think that wrong.

subordinate clause "which she carefully coordinated with her narratives"
here "which"-> refers to "book"
subject: Beatrix Potter
verb: capitalized
correct

Verb-ed modifer : "Carefully coordinated with her narratives" is modifying subject "Beatrix Potter" which is wrong.

Beatrix Potter
carefully coordinated them with her narratives. "them" - refers to ???
and
capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

Subject : Beatrix Potter
verb: coordinated & capitalized
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2012, 11:09
ugimba wrote:
WhyabloodyMBA wrote:

I think its E. Correct modifier and past verbs for parallelism
'coordinated' and 'capitalized'

Even C resolved parallelism and avoids the ambiguous use of "them" in the sentence. Options A,B and E use "them" which is wrong.
Options D indicates that Potter was coordinated not her book
Also, in C "which" modifies illustrations correctly

Therefore C is the correct answer
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2013, 21:54
tcsing wrote:
OG13 Q104.

162. Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

I can see that the OA is a superior answer to B, but I have a query on the structure of B. According to the OG, "carefully coordinating.." modifies illustrations not Beatrix Potter. Do -ing participial modifiers always modify the noun in front? I thought the placement of such modifiers was a little bit less rigid?

Thanks everyone!

Hii tcsing.
In case of modifiers, you must remember one rule.
The modifiers can modify on either side unless there are some barriers such as "and", "but" etc.
In the query you raised, same issue is status quo. The modifier can ambigously modify either side of the modifier and hence the answer choice becomes ambigous.
Hope that helps.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2013, 21:54

Go to page    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 75 posts ] 

Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap