Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:34 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [99]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [21]
Given Kudos: 130
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [14]
Given Kudos: 92
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [10]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
Re: Beyond the immediate cash flow crisis that the museum faces, its [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Go with B. Rememberthe simple rule : Whether almost always beats if on GMAT :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [10]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Beyond the immediate cash flow crisis that the museum faces, its [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
B is the answer-'whether' is preferred over 'if', the sentence is short, and broaden and leave are parallel
D cannot be the answer - because,'ability for broadening' is redundant and most of the time 'ability for' signals redundancy
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bxn If & whether : IF is used for CONDITIONAL cases and the following stem doesn't reveal any such condition :

Thus A / D / E are Eliminated

furthermore in D : For Broadening is an incorrect usage of Idiom

Bxn B & C :

C : To broaden ......................AND.................... Leave = Breaks Parallelism

Leading to B
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIMB, advantages.us, IIML
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: iim-bangalore - Class of 1994
GMAT 1: 750 Q59 V43
GPA: 3.12
WE:Research (Investment Banking)
Send PM
nehanishika wrote:
Beyond the immediate cash flow crisis that the museum faces, its survival depends on if it can broaden its membership and leave its cramped quarters for a site where it can store and exhibit its more than 12,000 artifacts.
(A) if it can broaden its membership and leave
(B) whether it can broaden its membership and leave
(C) whether or not it has the capability to broaden its membership and can leave
(D) its ability for broadening its membership and leaving
(E) the ability for it to broaden its membership and leave

explain please

the options D and E are both almost right by using ability directly making the sentence light but miss the idiom by using "FOR"
C i have found is too correct in usage as is wordy though technically correct
B usage of whether is correct despite the more concise if here and you should come back to choose it after traversing all the choices
A could still be a choice if the B structure was as foggy as D and E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
nehanishika wrote:
Beyond the immediate cash flow crisis that the museum faces, its survival depends on if it can broaden its membership and leave its cramped quarters for a site where it can store and exhibit its more than 12,000 artifacts.
(C) whether or not it has the capability to broaden its membership and can leave

explain please

whether, not if, is used for "yes,no " meaning. This point is gmat standard, not general grammar standard.
ability to do is idiom
capability of doing: is idiom

"for somebody to do some thing" is expansion of " to do some thing" . but this expansion is not a formular which is applicable to every phrase. where to use this expansion is the problem of idiom. in short, " ability for it to do" is not idiomatic.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Conquistador22 wrote:
In B "whether" is used, but "whether" should be used only when there are two possibilities mentioned in the sentence right?
or is it like whether two possibilities are mentioned in the sentence or not, if two possibilities exists "whether" should be used ? (I hope I used "whether" correctly :wink: )
"Whether" should be used for two choices--however, the phrase "whether or not" is usually considered redundant on the GMAT. In this case, the two options are that the museum could succeed or it could fail; however, the "or not" is correctly implied by the sentence, rather than being redundantly made explicit.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
My Approach to solve this is as follows :

1. Read the option A, whether is more apt than if in this scenario hence A is out
2. In the last split leave, leaving is a wrong tense hence D is out
3. Now with B,C and E, "The" in E is out of context hence out
4. Left with B and C... C is too wordy and whether or not idiom is not required. Hence answer is B

Total time taken to solve : 80 seconds
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 241 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Split1) "Ability + to", D and E say "ability+for" => this is not correct grammer. D and E are out.

Split2) The use of "whether" is correct and the GMAT prefers one word "whether" to the long "whether or not" so C is out.

Split3) Idiom? "depends + on" vs. "depends + if". I want to say that the correct grammar is "depends + on" and this is because IDIOM rules. Now, I am not sure about it, but please if someone can enlighten me with a more solid reason this split, I would greatly appreciate it. If "depends+on" holds, then A is incorrect. Source of reading on split3: https://www.waywordradio.org/discussion/ ... ends-upon/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 600
Send PM
Can someone clarify why A is wrong?

I think I have figured it out.

If is used for conditional sentences.
Recognize a conditional sentence by, reversing it. If it still makes sense, then it is a conditional sentence.

If I exercised regularly, I would be healthier. I would be healthier, if I exercised regularly.

Whether is used for alternatives.

The sentence can not be flipped therefore it should be non conditional and whether is required.

Please correct me, if I am wrong.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AK125 wrote:
Can someone clarify why A is wrong?

I think I have figured it out.

If is used for conditional sentences.
Recognize a conditional sentence by, reversing it. If it still makes sense, then it is a conditional sentence.

If I exercised regularly, I would be healthier. I would be healthier, if I exercised regularly.

Whether is used for alternatives.

The sentence can not be flipped therefore it should be non conditional and whether is required.

Please correct me, if I am wrong.

Yes, option A can be neglected based on if and whether usage.

If is used for conditions and whether is used for questions.

Beyond the immediate cash flow crisis that the museum faces, its survival depends on whether it can broaden its membership and leave its cramped quarters for a site where it can store and exhibit its more than 12,000 artifacts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Kudos
frankiegar wrote:

Could somebody clarify why D is wrong?

A "If" requires a corresponding "then" statement, and none is given here.
B Correct.
C "Whether or not" is redundant.
D "Ability for" is not idiomatic.
E "Ability for" is not idiomatic.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Send PM
Remove the fluff.

Here the pronoun 'it' refers to 'the museum'. Now the important thing about 'if' is that it is only valid when used in a true conditional statement.
For ex: If you make a right turn, we can stop at a gas station. If we reverse this example, we get: We can stop at a gas station if you make a right turn.

Applying this analogy, reverse the original sentence: It can broaden its membership if its survival depends on???......doesnt sound right.
The correct phrase here is whether. Hence eliminate A and D

With E, the sentence becomes its survival depends on the ability for it to broaden...... has no condition at all and changes intent

Between B and C, whether or not it has the capacity to broaden its membership and can leave shows incorrect parallelism between to broaden and can leave.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: (A)
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
Send PM
mikemcgarry sayantanc2k

I was able to eliminate CDE because of the correct reasons and they did match with the reasons provided here.
Thanks to you guys.

However, I was not sure how to eliminate A and be sure about B.
As a matter of fact i am aware of the rules that If is used whenever there is a condition and Whether is used for a choice.

But as the gist of the passage conveys that there is a condition underlying that the survival of the museum depends on the If it can broaden and leave....

Seem to me that If is used correctly over here.
Please can you correct me over here.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
siddyj94 wrote:
I was able to eliminate CDE because of the correct reasons and they did match with the reasons provided here.
Thanks to you guys.

As a matter of fact i am aware of the rules that If is used whenever there is a condition and Whether is used for a choice.

But as the gist of the passage conveys that there is a condition underlying that the survival of the museum depends on the If it can broaden and leave....

Hey siddyj94 ,

You didn't understand the meaning of the sentence properly.

If you are saying if in A is used correctly, let me ask you one thing.

The sentence as per you should be "If it can broaden its membership and leave its cramped quarters for a site where it can store and exhibit its more than 12,000 artifacts, its survival depends on {what??} "

Do you see the difference? what does it depend on? That is not clear. Hence, using if is incorrect here.

But the moment I say "whether" (as in B), I am saying its survival depends on whether X... .

Does that make sense now?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
siddyj94 wrote:
mikemcgarry sayantanc2k

Thanks to you guys.

"If" introduces a clause depicting a condition. This clause MUST always be accompanied by another clause depicting the effect when the condition is satisfied.

If you come, (then) you will enjoy.

Condition = "you come".
Effect = "you will enjoy"
The action "enjoy" is the effect if the action "come" happens.

Now consider option A:
Condition = "it can broaden its membership...."
Effect = "its survival depends on"

i.e. IF it can broaden its membership, (THEN) its survival depends on.

Since the action "depends on" is not an effect if the action "broaden" happens, this option does not make any sense. [The action "survive" could be the effect, but not the action "depends".]
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
nehanishika wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 11th Edition, 2005

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 28
Page: 641

Only (B) makes sense
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [3]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos