Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [3]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.85
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
Just to add some perspective, having multiple sensory mediums helps make messages sticky and better able to leave an impression on the audience. Visual queues in addition to words on the page adds an additional dimension that I would highly recommend you do not pass up.

Books like "12 brain rules", "Thinking, Fast and Slow" as well as "Resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences" detail this phenomenon in more detail.

I'm sure when you read articles online that you prefer a well designed info graphic over a wall of text almost every time :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
Some applicants were genuinely uncomfortable expressing themselves with ppts so they now have the option of doing so with an essay. It's just personal preference- the adcom is just giving you more options. There are plenty of people in the class of 2015 who did the essay.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey everyone!

Short question - I'm interviewing in London for the full-time MBA program.
Anyone has any idea who conducts the interview? (alumni / admissions / EMBA student / EMBA admissions?)

Thanks!!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Divi24 wrote:
Hey everyone!

Short question - I'm interviewing in London for the full-time MBA program.
Anyone has any idea who conducts the interview? (alumni / admissions / EMBA student / EMBA admissions?)

Thanks!!!

Alumni will conduct the interviews. Below is from the admissions blog.

Quote:
London, Saturday, Nov. 16: Our London campus is the perfect backdrop to another amazing city in which Chicago Booth has a strong presence. We will have two Admissions team members there to help host you, but it will be the alumni who live and work in London who will conduct your interviews. Stay awhile and mingle over a fun lunch, or stick around all day if your schedule allows - you’ll definitely walk away feeling more informed about the alumni community in the UK.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Prudence wrote:
Some applicants were genuinely uncomfortable expressing themselves with ppts so they now have the option of doing so with an essay. It's just personal preference- the adcom is just giving you more options. There are plenty of people in the class of 2015 who did the essay.

Thanks for the perspective.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
Send PM
just finished off campus interview. Anyone knows what's the weight of interview at booth? And should I do anything post interview, like writing thank you email to interviewer?
Thx!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
summerbreeze118 wrote:
just finished off campus interview. Anyone knows what's the weight of interview at booth? And should I do anything post interview, like writing thank you email to interviewer?
Thx!

I'd send a quick email right now to your interviewer just to cover your bases (costs you nothing).

I had a very bad interview in last year's R2, and was rejected outright. I'm not sure if I can solely point to my interview as the reason, but I'm sure it's not taken lightly.

Right now, Booth gave me another shot at the interview as a re-applicant, and not much has really changed since 8 months ago, so interpret this sample however you'd like to.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
Send PM
Blax0r wrote:
summerbreeze118 wrote:
just finished off campus interview. Anyone knows what's the weight of interview at booth? And should I doanything post interview, like writing thank you email to interviewer?
Thx!

I'd send a quick email right now to your interviewer just to cover your bases (costs you nothing).

I had a very bad interview in last year's R2, and was rejected outright. I'm not sure if I can solely point to my interview as the reason, but I'm sure it's not taken lightly.

Right now, Booth gave me another shot at the interview as a re-applicant, and not much has really changed since 8 months ago, so interpret this sample however you'd like to.

Thank you Blax0r!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
lostkiki wrote:
In for R2- have a question: Making PPT is not my forte, if I opt for the regular written essay as the alternative of the PPT, will my chances be hurt?
For those who got invites in R1, many congrats!- anyone of you did not choose the ppt format for that essay question?
Thanks a million!

Keep in mind that the formatting of the PowerPoint isn't important. The content is. I was no PowerPoint expert either, but valued the opportunity to present something about myself through a medium other than the written word.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Top10MBACandidate wrote:
achanandler wrote:
Just received notice for interview!

Does anyone know what the "Super Saturday" interview dates entail and how they differ from interviewing on a weekday?

On Super Saturdays, there will be programming similar to campus visits like a tour and lunch with current students. Normally, those options are only available Monday through Friday. On most weekdays, you can also schedule a campus visit (tour, lunch, class visit), but it is up to you to figure out the schedule. Really the only difference is being able to interview on a Saturday for those who don't want to take a day off of work.

To add to the conversation, you get to meet more of your prospective classmates on a Super Saturday, which can be helpful when it comes to making your final decision.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
FROM Booth Admissions Blog: Interview Invitations Coming Soon

So far in Round One, we continue to be impressed by the talented candidates who apply to Chicago Booth. As we speak, we are in the process of reviewing your applications and preparing to release interview invitations. We hope you are as eager to meet us as we are to meet you!

Starting on Monday, October 28, and continuing daily until Friday, November 1, we will begin to gradually release admissions interview decisions to Round One applicants. You can expect to receive an email  letting you know that there is an update to your application status sometime that week. The message will prompt you to log into the online application system to see whether or not you have been invited to interview. Those invited will receive all pertinent information related to setting up and preparing for interviews. It’s important to note that the order of how we will release decisions from Monday through Friday is random and not indicative of your admissions decision, geography or initial application date.

When setting up your interview, you will  have the opportunity to choose a time slot and location that works best for you from among a list of options:

1) on campus with a second-year Admissions Fellow

2) off campus at one of our interview locations (London, Shanghai, and Sao Paulo) by an alumnus or Admissions staff member

3) with a local alumnus/alumna in your city in the event you cannot travel to a Booth location

Stay tuned to this Insider blog for more about interview location options, interview tips, and what the committee will be looking for from your interview. �

Best wishes!

Amy
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Admissions Blog: Women’s Conferences at Chicago Booth

October brought Chicago Booth women two terrific opportunities to engage with other women in the Chicago Booth community and beyond: The 3rd annual Booth Women Connect Conference (BWCC) and the Chicago Women in Business (CWiB) annual conference. I was lucky enough to go to both and left each feeling both inspired and excited by the incredible talent that the Booth community embodies in its women.

As Registration Chair for the event, I watched the BWCC conference sell out quickly. We welcomed 270 women to the conference on Friday, October 4th at the Gleacher Center in Downtown Chicago. For those thinking about an MBA, the conference offered a great opportunity to “test-drive” the Booth experience. Chicago Booth students, alumnae and staff, as well as women from the local community were eager to take in great information from the presenters across 18 different sessions moderated or presented by Chicago Booth faculty, staff and alumnae, as well as other local business leaders.

The goals for this conference were to offer great sessions and discussions about issues unique to women in business, spanning the life of a career from those just starting out to those who have achieved senior leadership roles, and to bring together these women for networking throughout the day.  You can see photos from the event here. As someone who is actively involved in our women’s initiatives in Admissions and the experience of women in the Full-Time MBA program, I was thrilled that our conference was such a success in bringing women together for a day full of great events.

Two weeks later, I was invited to the student-run annual CWiB conference, which took place on Friday, October 18th at the University Club in downtown Chicago. CWiB offers support to female Booth students, who make up 35% of Booth’s first year class; this year, 74% of female students in the Class of 2015 are CWiB members! CWiB offers many events throughout the year that help enhance the experience of our female students and the Fall Conference is a perfect way to showcase the strength of our female candidates to our recruiters, as well as allow women to connect with and meet one another.

The fall conference event is strictly for Chicago Booth students, offering the over 100 attendees a chance to be part of informative sessions, as well as time with recruiters from top companies who are eager to hire talented Booth women for internships and post-MBA employment. The conference boasted 34 sponsors, and the chance to meet with representatives from top firms.

Over 50 panelists spoke throughout the day, the vast majority being alumnae who took time from their days to be part of the event, showcasing the pay it forward culture that defines Chicago Booth.  I was most impressed with the afternoon keynote speech by Booth alumna Valerie Van Meter, ‘04, Senior Vice President for the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago. Valerie reminded us that there is no one definition of success, and that one’s career is most definitely a marathon, not a sprint!  Valerie highlighted her MBA at Chicago Booth, noting that it taught her how to ask the right questions in difficult situations.

I am continually impressed and encouraged by the women’s community at Chicago Booth; conferences like the two recent ones I attended confirms that Booth women are an accomplished group of professionals who are always eager to learn more, improve themselves and share their knowledge and experience with one another by leading sessions, networking and supporting one another at each step of their professional journeys. �

All the best,

Joanne   �
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Admissions Blog: Interview Options

As you know, this week we are releasing interview invitations from Monday, Oct. 28 - Friday, Nov. 1. For those of you invited to interview, you will have five options to complete the interview. We know that meeting members of the Chicago Booth community is important to you, and your interviewers are extremely excited to get to know you, and share with you their #WhyBooth.�

Interview options are:

Chicago, Nov. 6-23: At the Harper Center, you’ll have the opportunity to visit a live class, as well as hang out with our current students over lunch. Second year students conduct admissions interviews on campus. If you’ve never been to Chicago, it’s a great time to explore Booth and our great city! Envision yourself as a student while taking a tour of our building, and imagine where the next two years at Booth could potentially have in store for you. Discover our great city and its people, and experience the fit that is so incredibly unique to Chicago Booth.  �

London, Saturday, Nov. 16: Our London campus is the perfect backdrop to another amazing city in which Chicago Booth has a strong presence.  We will have two Admissions team members there to help host you, but it will be the alumni who live and work in London who will conduct your interviews. Stay awhile and mingle over a fun lunch, or stick around all day if your schedule allows - you’ll definitely walk away feeling more informed about the alumni community in the UK. �

Shanghai, Saturday, Nov. 23: A 2002 alumnus and partner at Bain and Company will welcome applicants and alumni to Bain offices in Shanghai. Join staff and alumni for lunch before or after you complete your admissions interview.  If you are from cities across China and Asia, we hope you will join us in Shanghai.

Sao Paulo, Saturday, Nov. 23:  Ever wonder what a TV production studio is like? A 2002 Chicago Booth alumnus opens the doors to ContentE for applicants and alumni. Don’t worry, you won’t be on TV, but you will have a fun day full of exciting conversation, and great food!  Staff from Full Time Admissions will be available to answer any questions you may have. �

Your City, Nov. 4 - 23: Lastly, we understand that you may not have the flexibility to travel to one of the cities listed above. Booth offers the opportunity to interview in your local area with a member of the Chicago Booth alumni community. Our team will connect you with an alumnus/a close by and you will then communicate with each other to determine the best time and local location to meet. Please keep in mind that you are also welcome to interview outside of your residential city if you are located somewhere else for a consulting project, on vacation, or business trip for example.

No matter where you interview or with whom, you are not at an advantage or disadvantage in the admissions process. What does give you an advantage for your own personal benefit, is determining if you’d find value in visiting one of our larger interview locations to be better immersed within the Chicago community.

Staff, students and alumni look forward to meeting you soon. Don’t forget – be yourself, and keep it real.

Stay tuned next week for more interviewing tips!

Best of Luck,

Danielle
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Admissions Blog: Go Booth!

On Thursday, November 7 the Booth community celebrated the fifth anniversary of David Booth’s historic donation to Chicago Booth. The Booth community joined together in the winter garden all wearing maroon “ChicaGo Booth” shirts for a champagne toast led by Dean Kumar honoring David’s extraordinary gift and on-going commitment to continuing the school's unique legacy.

Dean Kumar opened the ceremony sharing how David Booth’s gift has
allowed the school to continue to invest in its future—bringing the best and brightest faculty to Booth, offering superior support services to students, and unmatched facilities. Recent Nobel Laureate Eugene Fama was also there to to celebrate the transformative impact of Booth’s investment in our community. Booth’s very first course at Chicago was finance, taught by Fama himself; “That was probably my life-changing event.”

David reminisced about his experience at Booth, and the day of his gift announcement 5 years ago. He recalled hearing students, faculty and staff cheer “BOOOOOOTH!” as the new Chicago Booth banner was lowered in the winter garden.

After the toast, students, staff and faculty mingled drinking champagne, eating cupcakes, and many taking pictures with the gracious Booth and Fama! �

As someone that is still recently new to the Booth community, I found this event to be truly inspiring. It gave me the opportunity to see the values of the school come to life through one man’s vision. I also had the opportunity to personally thank David Booth for his donation, as well as his generosity in bringing the original rules of basketball back to Lawrence, KS. As a fellow Kansas University alum, and avid Jayhawk fan, having the opportunity to shake David Booth’s hand was a once in a lifetime experience.

Until next time,�

Michelle
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.84
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
brandon432 wrote:
Top10MBACandidate wrote:
achanandler wrote:

Does anyone know what the "Super Saturday" interview dates entail and how they differ from interviewing on a weekday?

On Super Saturdays, there will be programming similar to campus visits like a tour and lunch with current students. Normally, those options are only available Monday through Friday. On most weekdays, you can also schedule a campus visit (tour, lunch, class visit), but it is up to you to figure out the schedule. Really the only difference is being able to interview on a Saturday for those who don't want to take a day off of work.

To add to the conversation, you get to meet more of your prospective classmates on a Super Saturday, which can be helpful when it comes to making your final decision.

Where do I get the option to schedule a lunch and a tour on a Super Saturday? When I tried to access the campus visit page to schedule a class visit/lunch/etc, Saturdays were listed as unavailable.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
ducks41468 wrote:
Top10MBACandidate wrote:
achanandler wrote:

Where do I get the option to schedule a lunch and a tour on a Super Saturday? When I tried to access the campus visit page to schedule a
class visit/lunch/etc, Saturdays were listed as unavailable.

At a recent Booth event in New York, I asked one of the Admissions Officers about this, and she said that this year, all that will take place on Super Saturdays are interviews, i.e., no tours, class visits or lunches with students. There may be a lunch for those who are around hosted by the Admissions Office, and some students may drop by.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Admissions Blog: Update on Interviews

Many of you are either preparing for your interviews, or have already met with a member of the Booth community to share your #WhyBooth story.

We are enjoying having our interviewees on campus and seeing you discover a bit of the Booth experience for yourself by visiting a class in session, having lunch with students, and soaking in the day to day life at the Harper Center. If you will be interviewing  on campus this week or next, don’t forget to register for other campus visit activities via the link in your interview confirmation email.

This week staff members are headed to the Chicago Booth London campus to partner with the European alumni community for interviews this Saturday. Next week admissions team members will trek to Sao Paulo and Shanghai for interview days with alumni. If you are joining us in any of these cities, expect great conversations over a bite to eat with staff and alumni, and be ready to share your story – and ask about ours! If you’re meeting an alumnus in your city, take advantage of the opportunity to ask targeted questions about the local community, and set up a meeting that fits both of your personalities – like a morning interview at a coffee shop, or an early evening meeting at their office.

Hopefully you’ve already read our previous entries on interview advice and tips from our Admissions Fellows. We have a long standing philosophy that the interview is to be a two way exchange – an organic conversation – so our advice still rings quite true. But we’ll never miss an opportunity to remind you that a bit of self-reflection is key to good preparation. Don’t neglect to become confident with the answers to these types of questions: Why do I want an MBA? Why now? How will an MBA help me achieve my goals?

What else can you do to prepare? Talk to students and alumni! Kristen Fernandes, Admissions Fellow and member of the Class of 2014 says, “I prepared for the interview by speaking with current MBA students to deepen my understanding of why Booth was the right MBA program for me. The more I researched, the more I could confidently say in my interview the (many!) reasons I wanted to attend Booth specifically.”

As you know, all Round 1 interviews must be completed by Saturday, November 23rd. If you have any interview questions please contact our team at Twitter by searching #WhyBooth.

All the best,

Kelly
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  23   24   25   26   27   28   29  ...  71   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts