Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 16:34 It is currently 08 May 2024, 16:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: International Business, Other
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2014
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [2]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.1
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Updated the timeline file after Monday's blood bath.

Added some charts.

Hope everyone finds it useful.
Attachments

CBS ED 2012 Timeline.xlsx [50.94 KiB]
Downloaded 166 times

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
This is my very first post... and I must say that I am thoroughly impressed by the level of activity on this thread! Congratulations to all those who have been admitted, best of luck to those who received interview calls/are waiting for a decision and my heartfelt support to those celebrating "month-versaries" (I sincerely hope you guys get an interview call (and more!) as I know how it feels... I was in the same boat as you all last year!)

Moving on to the point, I just wish to add my two cents (only for ED applicants) ... Basing it loosely on the stats compiled in the excel sheet available on this thread and "details" of CBS' admission process as described by the AdCom in an interview-based article, I draw the following conclusions:

Process as described: Each application is reviewed by atleast 2 separate people and ANY one reviewer can call the applicant for the interview; After the interview, the application undergoes another review -- I assume that this post-interview review is done either by the Reviewer 2 (if interview is issued by Reviewer 1) or by Reviewer 1 or 3 (if interview is issued buy Reviewer 2) {this part is not entirely clear} -- and then a consensus is required before any decision is rendered. (Of course, senior AdCom members would be reviewing all potential admits).

Assumption: As we are already in November, I assume that AdCom is flooded with apps and is working at max. capacity. Let's say there are 2 - 3 reviewers for each application (plus senior AdCom Members).

Inferences: Based on trends, I think CBS AdCom targets max 2-weeks** for each review. Hence many that have received interview invites from Reviewer 1 have done so within 2 weeks - ultimately, it depends upon how quickly the app is reviewed by Reviewer 1. If one has not received an interview invite within around 2 weeks, then maybe Reviewer 1 has not issued an interview and that the application is queued with Reviewer 2. Now, its up to Reviewer 2 to issue the interview or stamp the app with the dreaded ding.

**I say 2-weeks as I think this is the internal upper limit (broadly) for all process steps -- a) We are encouraged to complete our interview in 2-weeks b) Interviewer is required to submit an evaluation in 2-weeks c) most decisions are announced within 2 weeks after completion ... notice a trend here?

Speculation: All those waiting for an interview for around a month may safely assume that their app is with Reviewer 2 and maybe he is backlogged with work... thus the decision is may not yet have been made. However, I do agree that it's logical for dings to be given out in batches as I am sure they need to be "signed-off" by a senior member before being e-mailed and I don't really see this senior person reviewing them one at a time (but then again this is mere speculation!).

Potential Impact on Application Chances: Perhaps, those who are invited by Reviewer 1 stand a higher chance than those rejected by Reviewer 1 and instead invited by Reviewer 2. To improve their chances, I would imagine that such candidates invited by Reviewer 2 need to perform better in the interview to "change" Reviewer 1's mind (or) convince Reviewer 3 (if any) (referring to the article - a consensus is required before any decision is rendered). This just seems logical, however, it completely goes against what CBS states i.e. "interview timing has no bearing on the application decision".

Again, all this is just mere speculation and I take no responsibility for how anyone uses this information. :-D

Bottom Line: NEVER lose hope... there is always a chance that someone will say YES before they sign-off on a NO.

That's all folks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
Send PM
Kudos
Just got the call. I'm in for J-Term. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting. It's tough, and I hope adcom makes it worth everyone's wait!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [2]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
ThePensum wrote:
where importance of ethical behaviour is drilled into employees from the very first day.

And who said you couldn't bs these interviews? :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
m397 wrote:
My app shows under review.
Submit - 10/5
Review - 10/10

I am mentally prepared for a ding !!!!! Just a matter of time I guess

I think the CBS-process lesson-learned is: expect an invite/ding/acceptance at any time. We all tried to find the right timing/day of the week, etc. and we failed.
I applied on 10/3, and started preparing for my ding about 2 weeks after that. By this week, my e-mail checking obsession had honestly faded as I was sure they weren't going to issue an invite after 5 weeks (though many current CBS students had told me they waited over 5 weeks for their invite).

I was on my way back from a Tuck visit, at a gas station in NH, when the e-mail was there on my blackberry. Started shaking. Threw my blackberry and grabbed my i-phone to access the app link. I half-glanced and saw the words "interview".

Lesson learned 2: Don't lose hope. As someone else said, "you ain't dinged until you are".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q41 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Asset Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
americanInAsia wrote:
RichieRichthaMosse wrote:
I found this interview question from an "online guide" awhile back:

"Mr Gordon. The American business environment has fundamentally changed following the insider trading and savings and loan scandals. Explain business ethics, and how they are applied today."

:wink:

Mr. Madison, what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Ok. A simple "wrong" would have been fine.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
MCE7 wrote:
m397 wrote:
My app shows under review.
Submit - 10/5
Review - 10/10

I am mentally prepared for a ding !!!!! Just a matter of time I guess

I think the CBS-process lesson-learned is: expect an invite/ding/acceptance at any time. We all tried to find the right timing/day of the week, etc. and we failed.
I applied on 10/3, and started preparing for my ding about 2 weeks after that. By this week, my e-mail checking obsession had honestly faded as I was sure they weren't going to issue an invite after 5 weeks (though many current CBS students had told me they waited over 5 weeks for their invite).

I was on my way back from a Tuck visit, at a gas station in NH, when the e-mail was there on my blackberry. Started shaking. Threw my blackberry and grabbed my i-phone to access the app link. I half-glanced and saw the words "interview".

Lesson learned 2: Don't lose hope. As someone else said, "you ain't dinged until you are".

Agreed. I got an interview invitation today at 4:50EST, more than 5 weeks after submission!
I was feeling like I should get started on my R2 applications this weekend, too.

My data set since this is my first post:

ED - International
Submitted: 10/3
Under Review: 10/5
Invited to Interview: 11/10
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
Send PM
Kudos
Folks,

This is an awesome forum that I have been following passively for quite some time. I dropped off after I got the acceptance call coz I went all hysterical :). Things are just returning to normalcy now and I thought I should post my timelines (in the hope that they would be helpful). So here goes -

09/21 - App Submitted
09/23 - Complete
10/04 - Invited to Interview
10/12 - Interview
10/14 - Interview Report Complete
10/26 - Accepted!

For those who are interviewing/waiting - Good luck and hang in there! Thing will go well!!

Quick Question: Is there a forum for accepted students? I have a few queries around the Admitted Students' portal and wanted to catch up and compare notes with a few other folks. Any pointers?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
ThePensum wrote:
taffy97 wrote:
and that's exactly what Billy Madison said to the quote.."Okay, a simple wrong would have worked just fine." :-D

yup, watched that movie too many times.

The industrial revolution reminds me of the story of the Puppy Who Lost His Way.

You see, the puppy was like 19th century England....

Back to school. Back to school, to prove to Dad that I'm not a fool. I got my lunch packed up, my boots tied tight, I hope I don't get in a fight. Ohhhh, back to school. Back to school. Back to school. Well, here goes nothing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys, I've been mostly lurking in here for quite a while. I got the call today after a few weeks of nervously checking my e-mail constantly. For all of you still waiting, I wish you the best of luck!

Submitted: 10/5/11
Invitation to interview: 10/18/11
Interviewed: 10/26/11
Application complete: 10/28/11
Accepted: 11/11/11
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3.89
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
xxpatzz wrote:
americanInAsia wrote:
xxpatzz wrote:
Does anyone have the same problem I encountered regarding to set up an interview? Unfortunately that all my interviewers either don’t have time for interview or don’t reply to my email. As two weeks deadline approaching soon, shall I contact admission office to request an on campus interview?

Many thanks!

email apply@gsb.columbia.edu and ask them for their advice and explain your situation. They are pretty quick to respond and will offer the best advice.

And don't worry about the 2 weeks - that is more to keep the process moving. You won't get penalized if you can't schedule it within that time frame - especially with the problem you've been having.

Thanks americanInAsia, I think they can reset my interviewer list and I will give a try again !

Are you only emailing the 3 people that popped up on your initial log in to the system?

The system will allow you to cycle through a total of 9 interviewers. I had the same problem but re-read the instructions on the pages when you first sign-in to the CBS interview pages. I re-inputed my area and slightly expanded my radius and was able to get new people. After failing to hear from the first 3 people, I re-emailed my first 3 prospective interviewer and emailed my next 3 all at once (separate emails of course). I heard back from 2 people the next day and selected the one that I wanted to interview with. I also emailed the alum that I did not select and told her that I appreciated her response but a prior interviewer had just contacted me and scheduled a time. She told me to call her if I had any questions and to email her about my impression from the interview - which I did.

If you have gone through all 9 of your interviewers then I am really sorry that you are having that difficulty. Hopefully CBS will be able to help. I would be concerned that they would make you interview with a student via Skype. Maybe that would be better for some applicants but I would be anxious doing a phone interview.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Got call from Mary Miller today! Been waiting for a whole month since interview completed, and finally relieved..
Wish all the people waiting luck! Just hang in there!

Timeline:
Submit: 9.21
Interview invite: 9.28
Interview: 10.17
Interview complete: 10.18
Second Interview by phone: 11.16
Accepted:11.17
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
Send PM
Kudos
The waiting is finally over. Admitted Early Decision this morning!
Thanks to everyone on this thread for keeping me sane the last few weeks!

AmericaninAsia- You're next, keep the faith!

Timeline-
Submit: 10/5
Interview Invite: 10/13
Interview: 10/31
Interview Complete: 11/2
Admitted ED: 11/21
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Congratulations everyone who got calls and all the best to everyone awaiting calls. I got my acceptance call today, 3 weeks after my interview!!

Timelines:
Submitted – 4th Oct 11
Interview invite – 26th Oct 11
Interview – 31st Oct
Complete – 3rd Nov
Accepted – 21st Nov (ED)!!!!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '14
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V52
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Kudos
Posted a while back about a call from Admissions. I was expecting it to be "the call" but unfortunately they really did just have a few more questions for me. Anyway, it's all good now because I got the real call yesterday.

Submitted: 9/26
Under Review: 9/27
Invited to Interview: 10/12
Interview: 10/21
Complete: 10/28
Accepted: 11/21

It was a long wait. Good luck to everyone!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Kudos
Good luck to everyone applying RD. I just completed my RD interview (applied late September, interview notification on 8 December), where questions were similar to what the ED's were asked: Why Columbia, why now, leadership examples, curriculum preferences, personal conflict example, ethical conflict example, alternative (re: back-up) career plans, career goals, etc. As was the case with most applicants, my interviewer was very professional, open and honest. He left me with a good impression, both of the Columbia program and my own chances for admission (though he rightly noted that, with so many competitive applicants, admission is always far from certain). The most valuable things I did to prepare for my interview were to: 1) Speak with current students & alumni about the program; 2) Really understand Columbia's brand and curricular offerings; 3) Know my own story (provide a narrative to your resume and MBA decision); 4) Have good questions for your interviewer.

I hope this helps, and again, good luck to all my fellow RDer's out there.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  171   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts