Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2011, 03:48
Hi Guys,

Trying to make a decision between Darden and Fuqua. My post MBA goal is management consulting, my past experience has been in manufacturing/operations. I have family in the Southern California region and was hoping to move there after my MBA, working for a consulting firm or a general management position.

I didn't get any scholarship at either of the two places so cost s about the same. Visited both schools, loved them both. Having a really hard time deciding. I would appreciate any input or feedback.

Thanks
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 12

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2011, 09:36
This post received
KUDOS
vjsn1982 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Trying to make a decision between Darden and Fuqua. My post MBA goal is management consulting, my past experience has been in manufacturing/operations. I have family in the Southern California region and was hoping to move there after my MBA, working for a consulting firm or a general management position.

I didn't get any scholarship at either of the two places so cost s about the same. Visited both schools, loved them both. Having a really hard time deciding. I would appreciate any input or feedback.

Thanks

Although bias, I would say Fuqua for sure. Fuqua is becoming much more consulting focused where as Darden is in my opinion, more directed toward finance. I too am going to be pursuing a career in management consulting the recent employment numbers confirmed that Fuqua was a perfect fit for that goal. If you didn't see then online already, take a look at the recently released initial employment report:

http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/mba_recruitin ... tatistics/

In addition, here is a good summary to help think on these employment stats as it applies to consulting:

• Fuqua has a new top employer this year. After Johnson & Johnson’s many years at number one, Deloitte hired 31 graduates and 23 interns for a total of 54 hires. They literally doubled their hiring in only one year, bringing aboard 27 Duke MBAs in 2009 – 2010.
• This year's top ten also includes McKinsey (32 hires), Boston Consulting Group (25), Johnson & Johnson (19) Bank of America Merrill Lynch (17), Apple (16), Bain & Company (14) , Samsung (13), Citi (12), and Goldman Sachs (12). Like Deloitte, many of these firms increased their hiring over the prior year, in some cases substantially. For example, McKinsey went from 16 to 32, BCG 10 to 25, Bain 6 to 14, Citi 5 to 12, and Goldman Sachs 7 to 12.
• As you can see from our top employers’ list, consulting has increased its Fuqua footprint this year. In the graduating class, 31% of the Class of 2011 accepted positions in the consulting industry, up 11 percentage points from the prior year. The consulting industry captured 23% of the intern Class of 2012 representing a jump of ten percentage points over the 13% of consulting interns in 2009 – 2010.
o The mean and median salaries for both classes benefit from this trend, as consulting salaries tend to be the highest among those industries hiring massive numbers of MBAs.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 06:31
thanks salesguy!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 07:19
Anybody know how the KROLL background check works? How do they contact my current and previous employers?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 10:31
Just returned from a 5 day cruise today with NO internet or phone access during this time. I see two people were accepted off the waitlist (congrats!!). Haven't received an email or voicemail during my vacation. When the recently accepted were called, did they leave a voicemail or did you just notice a missed call? Has anyone else's application's been updated (checking that next)?
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 21:26
Has anybody, who just recently sent in an update, heard back from their WL Counselor? It's been over a week since I last sent in an update, but I haven't heard anything from my Counselor.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 21:32
threestripes wrote:
Has anybody, who just recently sent in an update, heard back from their WL Counselor? It's been over a week since I last sent in an update, but I haven't heard anything from my Counselor.

Nope. Someone sent in a letter on my behalf to the general waitlist address last Thursday and I forwarded it on to my WL counselor. No confirmation from either address.

This is brutal.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 21:37
What's the point of having a waitlist counselor if they don't answer email? I sent in an update recently as well, nothing.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2011, 05:05
I sent an update recently and got a confirmation back in a couple of days.

DaVinci22 wrote:
threestripes wrote:

Nope. Someone sent in a letter on my behalf to the general waitlist address last Thursday and I forwarded it on to my WL counselor. No confirmation from either address.

This is brutal.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2011, 06:38
Just got dinged today. Not even a call from my advisor, just an email indicating a "decision update" in the online application.

Disappointed, but I was already pursuing my backup plan having waited this long. Thanks to all here for the discussions, and best of luck to everyone.

-Matt
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kenan-Flagler, Fuqua (W/L), McCombs
WE 1: Entrepreneurship
WE 2: Non-Profit

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2011, 06:45
threestripes wrote:

I sent an update last Thursday and received a reply yesterday morning. No "decision update" email yet, so perhaps there is still hope.

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2011, 07:09
I received a call from my WL contact offering me a spot last week. Yesterday I kindly declined the offer in order to pursue a Babson Entrepreneurship MBA, so there at least one more spot available! Good luck to everyone.
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2011, 07:13
Sorry to hear about the ding, MattNY.

My WL Counselor just sent me an email confirmation on the update that I sent last week. I suppose they were busy deliberating whom to accept/reject last week. And so, they probably did not want to send any confirmation emails out until they had decided whom to keep on the WL.

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Duke(R3-WL-withdrew), UNC (Admit), Texas (Admit-$$), UCLA (Admit-$$$-attending)

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2011, 07:21
I withdrew from the WL a week or 2 ago when I was told there was no fellowship money available for those accepted off the waitlist. I figured there would not be, but asked to be sure. I got a very nice fellowship from UCLA, so that is where I will be going. Best of luck to all still waiting.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2011, 09:42
I got a confirmation from my WL counselor this morning on the update sent in last Thursday. So all in all it took 3 working days excluding the weekend, which makes sense given what threestripes mentioned earlier about narrowing down the waitlist.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2011, 11:46
Thank you to all who posted updates. Please do keep 'em coming if you have new updates.

threestripes, any chance you could post an updated waitlist? Will really appreciate it. Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2011, 16:38
I also received confirmation this week from my WL counselor that my latest update had been received.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 161 [1] , given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2011, 17:53
This post received
KUDOS
See below for the updated Summer Waitlist.

1. 2013
2. annemba
3. BCNash - WITHDREW for ANDERSON (week of 06/13/11)
4. bschoolbound2011
5. daniel7 - ACCEPTED (06/23/11)
6. DaVinci22
7. desde123 - DECLINED OFFER/Going to BABSON (06/23/11)
8. kidA - DECLINED OFFER/Going to SAID (early June)
9. KienLuong
10. kt2011 - ACCEPTED (06/23/11)
11. mattNY (06/28/11)
12. mba4me2011
13. mbahubby
14. MBAIsrael - WITHDREW for DARDEN (06/17/11)
15. MBwAit - DECLINED OFFER/Going to Kellogg (early June)
16. mreevit - WITHDREW for ROSS (6/14/11)

17. Smoodigger
18. socem
19. raerae15
20. threestripes
21. unknownvirus
22. westcoastapp - DECLINED OFFER/Going to BOOTH (early June)

12 active posters remain alive. I wonder how many more out there are still waiting for a final decision.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2011, 07:03
Hey everyone, hate to add to the list, but I too am a fellow WLer. I'm waitlisted only at Duke and didn't apply anywhere else. So basically if I don't get in, I guess I'll have to decide if I have it in me to re-apply next year or to bschool at all!

I work in Consulting right now, but after 4 years of Consulting I feel like I need a change.

I am just so frustrated because I need to figure out if I should sign a lease and stay in NYC or look for a new job. I almost want to call my WL counselor and ask realistically if I should just move on, because literally I have to decide by next week!

Did anyone's WL counselor give them any indication of their chances or feedback? Mine was cryptic when I asked about timelines, but he then was like oh you went to an ivy and work in consulting "I think you have a good shot." Like, does that actually mean anything or was he just saying that to give me false hope?!

Do the WL counselors have anything to do with their decision on us? I asked him for feedback on my application and he basically said ohh I wouldn't be the best judge of that because I haven't reviewed your application.

I dunno, I've asked all my friends (who actually went to Fuqua) about what else I should do, and they said at this point it's better to not send any updates unless it's super substantial (like a promotion or new gmat score or something). What do you guys think? I don't want to sit idly by!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 05:15
WL counselor pretty vague here too. Going to wait 1 more week and then need to make a decision on our end. Have gotten into another great school and put one deposit down, now need to move out of state and need to start planning on housing, etc.

When do classes start at Duke? Trying to gauge when they should have all final decisions in by.
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants   [#permalink] 30 Jun 2011, 05:15