Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools:Wharton - Class of 2013
 Q50  V47
GPA: 3.4 princeton
WE 1: 2y bb ib
WE 2: 2y Mid market PE
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink]
Emarc182 wrote:
Fair enough. Just keep reading about 'aging out' and wanted to see if this was a purposeful choice by HBS (and others) to have younger students, or what. I certainly did some soul-searching as well based on opportunity cost / current trajectory, etc.

I would take a look at the chart that Sandy posted on the first page of this thread....his analysis of "aging out" is based largely on this...doesn't mean there's a causal relationship there though
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 3.4 Ivy
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Send PM
I don't think you necessarily mean to, but some of your posts come across as a little entitled and bitter, Emarc.

Regardless, it's not us who you need to convince. We don't set the rules.

But to try and explain it from their point of view, they want students who are the most open to the "transformative" power of HBS both in terms of approach to thinking and career potential. Older more jaded students may be less open to that. Harvard also wants students who will make an impact, and the earlier they can set a person on the career track that gets them into very high level positions, the more likely they are to get there.

Could be wrong on that, but just for your edification, I've tried to rationalize it.

Still, I don't think 27 is out of their wheelhouse.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Not bitter or entitled at all, but understand how I may have given that impression. I more just find this 'black box of mystery' approach to admissions interesting and trying to read tea leaves. Thanks for the feedback, though.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Emarc182 wrote:
Could someone explain this concept of "aging out" to me? I understand that applicants are getting younger and younger (which, honestly, escapes me as they don't have enough, in my opinion, real work experience to allow them to take full advantage of the program), but I don't see why there would be a top-end 'age limit' per se. I would think that after the age of 27, or so, people self-select out of applying anyway, but those who do apply really are trying to make a change in their career and I would think should be judged as more valuable applicants who can bring relatively more experience to the table. I'm 27 and am applying after 3 years in Investment Banking and 2 years in Corporate Strategy, but I get the impression I am starting to be "too old" by HBS standards. Thoughts?

@Emarc182: My 2 cents. As long as you are in the 20s, age cannot be -ve factor in the application. That said, of course the theory still holds that less experience should be balanced with more star academic/extrac qualities. Yes HBS is opening doors for early 20s but this by no means translate into the majority of the class being early 20s. The realistic majority in my opinion are people like you with (3-5 yrs) WE and in their mid-late 20s. The only way I would see age becoming a negative factor is if you cross the mid-30s after graduation, as recruiters start to gear for younger/more energetic candidates.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS(R1) ding, Wharton(R1) invite, INSEAD(R1)invite, LBS(R1)invite
Send PM
anyone aware of any invites sent out today?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HBS (ding), Stanford (ding), Haas (interview), UC Davis (Admitted)
 Q47  V48
GPA: 3.92 state school
WE 1: 6 yrs Morgan Stanley (Instl. Consulting / Asset Mgmt)
Kudos
I wish I could contribute more to this discussion on aging out, but at 29, my mind has started to go.

And my hip has been bothering me - probably gonna rain soon.

I'm sure I would have gotten an interview if it wasn't for these kids and their god-damn rap music.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hahaha. waiting4hbs - awesome.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools:Wharton - Class of 2013
 Q50  V47
GPA: 3.4 princeton
WE 1: 2y bb ib
WE 2: 2y Mid market PE
Send PM
waiting4hbs wrote:
I wish I could contribute more to this discussion on aging out, but at 29, my mind has started to go.

I'm sure I would have gotten an interview if it wasn't for these kids and their god-damn rap music.

I think the rule is if Facebook came out after you graduated college, you're too old...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
waiting4hbs wrote:

Lol, that's funny. I'm 29 and I was fortunate enough to get an invite. Hopefully I can remember how to get to campus with my aging brain. I get sleepy at 5 pm so I'm sure all those consulting companies will not want to hire an old guy like me without any energy. :wink:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Schools:HBS (ding), Stanford (ding), Haas (interview), UC Davis (Admitted)
 Q47  V48
GPA: 3.92 state school
WE 1: 6 yrs Morgan Stanley (Instl. Consulting / Asset Mgmt)
eskimoroll wrote:
waiting4hbs wrote:

Lol, that's funny. I'm 29 and I was fortunate enough to get an invite. Hopefully I can remember how to get to campus with my aging brain. I get sleepy at 5 pm so I'm sure all those consulting companies will not want to hire an old guy like me without any energy. :wink:

I think there's an IHOP close to campus, so you've got that going for you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Here's a question: is there any value to visiting at this stage in the process without an invitation to interview?

A bit of background: I live close to HBS (in NYC), but I have not visited, because I didn't see the value-add of taking the time off of work (little bro is an undergrad, so I've seen the campus)...that said, am I perhaps being perceived as disinterested for not visiting? (The intention of a visit would be to speak with an admin, not to "push" my application, but rather to give a positive impression.)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I recall Derrick Bolton saying at a Stanford Admissions event that visiting campus (or as he called it 'demonstrated interest') has no effect on your application, but it might for HBS. Unclear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
When I attended a Stanford info session, Bolton said his biggest pet peeve is the perception that bschools are discriminating against older applicants (he mentioned that if anyone felt that was the case, they should file a formal complaint as age discrimination is illegal). That being said, I agree with Jeanette's hypothesis that HBS is looking for younger applicants because they respond best to the "transformative effect" that the program has on students.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Jeanette wrote:
From what I can tell, you are very, very unlikely to get in because you're majoring in business.

The 2+2 program is designed to attract people from non-traditional fields. They take very few Business undergrads. (https://www.hbs.edu/mba/perspectives/cla ... stics/2+2/)

If it's 2+2 that you really, really want to aim your life toward (and this is a bad idea), major in something like biochem.

No, I don`t want to focus the whole app on that program. God, it may not even exist by the time I apply.
Instead, I will double major in eco and business admin as planned, apply and if I get in - great, if not, I work 2-3 years and apply regularly to top Business schools all around the world.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 3.4 Ivy
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Send PM
Ivan91 wrote:
Jeanette wrote:
From what I can tell, you are very, very unlikely to get in because you're majoring in business.

The 2+2 program is designed to attract people from non-traditional fields. They take very few Business undergrads. (https://www.hbs.edu/mba/perspectives/cla ... stics/2+2/)

If it's 2+2 that you really, really want to aim your life toward (and this is a bad idea), major in something like biochem.

No, I don`t want to focus the whole app on that program. God, it may not even exist by the time I apply.
Instead, I will double major in eco and business admin as planned, apply and if I get in - great, if not, I work 2-3 years and apply regularly to top Business schools all around the world.

sounds like a plan
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Also agree w/ Jeanette's assessment about "aging out". I guess by your late 20's you're too set in your ways to learn about pension accounting.

So no invites today?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
BeeSkool wrote:
[q
uote="maidinindya"]Similar stats

770, 3.9 GPA, 4 years WE in education (non profit) with TFA/TFAll. What puzzles me is a got an interview invite two years ago, with a lower GMAT (720), and less significant work results. Has that ever happened to anyone on this board before? Got an invite one year, no invite later on?

Same situation for me. Interview invite + waitlist last year. Nothing this year. I thought I put together a better app too. Go figure.

Can we play this theory out really quick? Just noticed an emergence of a reapplicant stack. Is there a counter-factual out there (IE is there anyone out there with an interview invite in hand who's also a reapplicant?) Reapp pool usually constitutes about 10% of total. If there are 100 invites left do 10% of 4,000 get 400 go 20% of that and get 80. Seems plausible you might segregate reapps and review at the last.

I realize I could do my own research on this... but the beauty of this thread is division of labor and the wisdom of the crowd :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  26   27   28   29   30  ...  147   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts