Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Non-Profit Entrepreneurship. Wealth/Investment Mgmt
Schools:Harvard (R2-applied), MIT (R2-applied)
 Q48  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: Military
WE 2: Social Entrepreneur
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Schools:Ross
 Q50  V45
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
 Q50  V38
WE 1: Project Management, Telecommunications
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:USC Marshall School of Business
GPA: 2.9
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink]
Hey redjam, I didn't get it either. Perhaps it went out to those who hadn't submitted it yet.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Actually, if I would have the option of editing my application one more time, I would not have used that option. With all the effort & after going through that tough phase, I submitted this dammn application, so no way I want to enter that phase again. Once the application is submitted, its submitted and gone for me. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
CyberC1 wrote:
Hey redjam, I didn't get it either. Perhaps it went out to those who hadn't submitted it yet.

The e-mail only went to those who did NOT submit for round 2. If you have already submitted, you did not get an e-mail, and you cannot make changes to the application.

I just called the admissions office to verify this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
To those that have already interviewed:

Did you guys write a thank you letter or send a card? What did you include in the letter/card? Any advice would be appreciated.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Schools:Foster, Sloan (WL w/int.), Kellogg, Anderson
Send PM
I'm sending a card with a short note thanking her for her time.

I had my interview today -- easily the most nervous I've ever been for an interview. My interviewer was extremely nice which helped me relax a little. She didn't grill me or anything; I got the sense she really wanted to get to know me on a more personal level. I'll probably replay the entire thing in my mind for the rest of the week, with the occasional "oh crap, why didn't I tell that OTHER story instead..." Well, it's out of my hands now. Crossing my fingers for an admit to my dream school on January 31st.

Good luck all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Sloan(WL), Johnson(Int-Waiting)
Send PM
RogerDodger wrote:

I had my interview today -- easily the most nervous I've ever been for an interview. My interviewer was extremely nice which helped me relax a little. She didn't grill me or anything; I got the sense she really wanted to get to know me on a more personal level. I'll probably replay the entire thing in my mind for the rest of the week, with the occasional "oh crap, why didn't I tell that OTHER story instead..." Well, it's out of my hands now. Crossing my fingers for an admit to my dream school on January 31st.

Good luck all.

I've been having the same thoughts. I felt comfortable when leaving the interview, but after hopping on a flight, spending time in a hotel, and procrastinating at work, all confidence have gone through the drain and I regret every answer I gave. UGHHHH.

Based on previous years, most all admits go out the final day, is that true? What about dings?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Schools:Foster, Sloan (WL w/int.), Kellogg, Anderson
Send PM
sharksr1 wrote:
Based on previous years, most all admits go out the final day, is that true? What about dings?

As far as I'm aware... all decisions will be released on the 31st. (How do they expect us to concentrate at work!? haha)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
sharksr1 wrote:
RogerDodger wrote:

Good luck all.

I've been having the same thoughts. I felt comfortable when leaving the interview, but after hopping on a flight, spending time in a hotel, and procrastinating at work, all confidence have gone through the drain and I regret every answer I gave. UGHHHH.

hahaha, I couldn't have said it better myself. I felt great immediately following my interview, but now I'm sure all my responses were really dumb. My interviewer said I could email him (via the admissions office) if I wanted to clarify anything from the interview. Do you think I would be shooting myself in the foot if I actually did that?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Does the 500 word limit for the cover letter include the headers like name, address, etc.?
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Schools:Booth
 Q48  V45
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Arbitrageur wrote:
Does the 500 word limit for the cover letter include the headers like name, address, etc.?

I did not include those in my word count- only the body of the letter. I think as long as you can keep it all on one page you should be fine.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Sloanie 2013
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Arbitrageur wrote:

In my letter there was only the title of the essay without my name or address. I think that those details are not that important, they just want you to write a cover letters without colloquialisms and things like that. Worked for me..
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V38
Send PM
runnergirl683 wrote:
Arbitrageur wrote:

I did not include those in my word count- only the body of the letter. I think as long as you can keep it all on one page you should be fine.

I don't think the 1 page limit applied to the cover letter. It was preferred but during one of the online chats, they said it was fine to go over 1 page on the cover letter. Either that or I'll get dinged for going over 1 page... :( :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
redjam wrote:
runnergirl683 wrote:
Arbitrageur wrote:

I don't think the 1 page limit applied to the cover letter. It was preferred but during one of the online chats, they said it was fine to go over 1 page on the cover letter. Either that or I'll get dinged for going over 1 page... :( :(

That's right. The 1-page limit is only for the essays.

My cover letter was a debacle. Spent way too much space talking about my impact on my group and then the last pargraph on what I can bring to Sloan. Did not mention my career goals or why Sloan at all.

Ugh.
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Arbitrageur wrote:

My cover letter was a debacle. Spent way too much space talking about my impact on my group and then the last pargraph on what I can bring to Sloan. Did not mention my career goals or why Sloan at all.

Ugh.

Sounds like that aligns pretty well with the Sloan philosophy. They know career plans change and that they ROCK! I covered both topics in 1 sentence in my cover letter. :)

Originally posted by redjam on 07 Jan 2011, 12:32.
Last edited by redjam on 07 Jan 2011, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
redjam wrote:
Arbitrageur wrote:

Ugh.

Sounds like that aligns pretty well with the Sloan philosophy. They know career plans change the they ROCK! I covered both topics in 1 sentence in my cover letter. :)

I hope you're right. But clear admit analysis for MIT said that you should talk about why sloan and your professional objectives. I was tempted to go that route, but i read old transcripts with rod garcia and felt that my approach might be more prudent. Who knows. My MIT application was by far the worst out of the 5 schools i applied to. And they interview like less than 20% of applicants, which is even lower than harvard.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
kunoflo wrote:
Arbitrageur wrote:

In my letter there was only the title of the essay without my name or address. I think that those details are not that important, they just want you to write a cover letters without colloquialisms and things like that. Worked for me..

rod garcia specifically stated in an interview that the details in a cover letter are important. you'd be foolish to think otherwise given that he said it blatantly.
Intern
Intern
Schools:Sloanie 2013
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
sexonthebeach150 wrote:
kunoflo wrote:
Arbitrageur wrote:

rod garcia specifically stated in an interview that the details in a cover letter are important. you'd be foolish to think otherwise given that he said it blatantly.

foolish or not, I got the invitation to the interview and I didn't put my address nor his on the cover letter. I think that content is what matters.Do you really think that a great cover letter without address is going to be disregarded?? Anyhow... this is a free forum and people report their own experiences. Don't be so hasty in your judgment.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  71   72   73   74   75  ...  108   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts