Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
WE:General Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
shushu wrote:
Aksed waitlist adcom the feedback two days ago, but did not have any reply back yet.

I will write my essay during this weekend again, and then will send them.

It seems like there is not bright hope on waitlist as there are not that many people who got off waitlists last year.

sigh.

Let's not be so pessimistic, some times you have to make your own breaks. For example, there is a post out there right now titled Yale SOM vs Insead. That poor lost soul doesnt know which school to choose. Now clearly for that candidate, Insead is the right school choice. It is up to us to make them realize they dont want to go to Yale. It is time for some psychological warfare, not time to curl up into a ball and say there is no bright hope.

I say most of this in jest. Although, Insead is definitely that candidates school choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
aerien wrote:
Ward2012 wrote:
I spoke with an Admissions Officer back in January and she told me that the committee will not look at the waitlist until mid-March.

I don't know specifics about this, but to me it looks like you guys will be evaluated with the R2 decisions. Hopefully you guys will hear good news March 28th!

Posted from my mobile device

Yeah I just saw on last year's blog that someone who was Waitlisted for Round 1, was formally rejected on the Round 2 decision date. Hoping we all have a better fate than that candidate!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
https://mba.yale.edu/news_events/CMS/Articles/6395.shtml

Do these tips still apply? Is it okay to ask for feedback if you're not quite sure what the "soft" spots were in your application?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Chessmaster, why the sudden change in tune?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Send PM
Kudos
Not sure how helpful is this info, but I'll tell you anyway.
The person who is taking care of WL'ers is currently out of office (at least as of last week, when I called adcom).

Let's keep our faith, though. If one is going to get in, he/she will get in.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Yale '15 (I)
Send PM
Kudos
hailmary620 wrote:
Just got waitlisted w/o interview at Yale. Was expecting a DING, so super excited. What are the chances from here on? seems like there are already lot of people on the WL.

I think they reject a bunch of WLers from R1 and R2 today and a lot of people have given up hope and are committed at other schools, so it's a much smaller list. Not sure what the chances are from here out though. I don't know anyone who has gotten in during summer
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
lb2015 wrote:
Ahhh I'm really sorry to hear that! I was really hoping you'd get in. Hope you're able to put the rejection aside and keep enjoying Venice. Are you planning to reapply?

Yup, If Duke WL doesn't work out, then Yale R1. The deadlines are just three months away, so no time for mourning :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all,

I was admitted off the SOM waitlist today, so we know there was at least some movement this year, although I heard it was very minimal.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Dbalks wrote:
Figured I'd start the thread rather than just talk about it. dont want to bring any more misery to the happy Yale board. So lets talk strategy on how we weasel are way in from here. Also, hopefully this can help some waitlisted candidates in future years.

As for the SOM waitlist, I'm not sure what to share with ad-com. I started managing another employee right after I submitted my app, so Im not sure if thats significant or not (I hadnt managed anyone before). I did share this with the person who interview me, so not sure if it counts as an update or not. Also, don't think I can write a whole page about that. I also have no former Yale or prestigous MBa contacts, so I dont think I can come up with the recommendations necessary to impress ad-com. Any ideas out there?

Hahaha I love the weasel comment. I'm also on the waitlist and think your experience managing another employee would be a significant update.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hii,
I have been waitlisted for the Silver Scholar program.

Can you please offer some suggestions specially for this program.

Thanks

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
Send PM
+1 on the WL roll call.

Do we really need to wait until March 1 to see some movement in this space ? Please share if you've any info on this. Cheers mates !
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
oldmonk wrote:
+1 on the WL roll call.

Do we really need to wait until March 1 to see some movement in this space ? Please share if you've any info on this. Cheers mates !

I think a current student in the main Yale 2012 thread said that he/she got off the waitlist on Jan 23 (I may have the date wrong.)
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
iglesias9158 wrote:
I am a current student at Yale, and I had been on the wait list. I was offered admission on 23 January. My results may be slightly a typical as I am currently on active duty in the Army and I had to know by 31 January or the Army would not send me to Yale period. I made that clear when I sent them my update, and that they were my first choice.

I was so surprised that I was getting off the wait list in January and I asked the ADCOM what caused the change. She said they do a review of the wait list after the deadline for round 2 submissions.

The advice in the articles posted by Jontron is essentially what I did. Actually, I did almost every single bullet point. I gave one very thorough and polished update at the beginning of January. The really great thing about this update opportunity is that you are not constrained by formatting. You can make it look really really good. I also found ways to address every single potential weakness. My final packet was 10 pages and included:

1. Promotion
2. Complete rewrite of MBA purpose essay and made it slightly more ambitious, but not fictional.
3. I actually clarified some interview questions i felt i did not answer well (no one recommends this but I thought it could really help my situation)
4. Past performance reviews from my military schools outside of undergrad to compensate for GPA
5. Letter Stating that Yale was my #1 choice and I would accept immediately, but that I needed to know by 31 January.

I put into a PDF portfolio with links and tried to make it look professional, I am sure others could do better with tools available out there.

I scoured the web for info last year, so here is a success story. I do not know what parts if any of my update helped, but I did make it in. Good luck to everyone. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Thank you very much for sharing this!!
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
+1 on roll call

I think my waitlist was because of my GMAT score but I still want to understand THEIR specific reason. Do you guys think it would be OK to email them asap first asking to clarify what the weak point was and then send a following (like in 1 month) a letter of interest stressing that Yale is my first choice and giving them an update on my latest status?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Stardust wrote:
+1 on roll call

I think my waitlist was because of my GMAT score but I still want to understand THEIR specific reason. Do you guys think it would be OK to email them asap first asking to clarify what the weak point was and then send a following (like in 1 month) a letter of interest stressing that Yale is my first choice and giving them an update on my latest status?

What was your GMAT score? I would retake it and then email them an update saying you improved your GMAT! Feedback is pretty rare during admission season from what I've heard...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Hi All - I was waitlisted as well (with Interview).

Dbalks - thanks for creating this forum. I'm sure it will go a long way in helping us all keep calm over the next few months.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V51
GPA: 3.6
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
If any of you guys are in the Boston area, come by Cambridge Brewing Company in Kendall Square this Thursday 12/20 at 8pm. A small group of first year SOMers will be hosting a casual get-together, and we might be able to offer tips on wait-list strategies.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts