Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 22:12 It is currently 12 May 2024, 22:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: CBS '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Re: Columbia: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
Hello guys!

just to be sure. Reapplicants only need ONE recommendation letter during this new process, right?

The new website doesnt have this information now, and AdCom hasnt given an answer to me.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
juancito05 wrote:
Hello guys!

just to be sure. Reapplicants only need ONE recommendation letter during this new process, right?

The new website doesnt have this information now, and AdCom hasnt given an answer to me.

What new process are you talking about? Nothing has changed about how Columbia is doing admissions. They did get a new website which is nicer but the process is the same, and the application is very clear:

Columbia application wrote:
Please note those who are reapplying to Columbia Business School are required to submit one additional recommendation. This recommendation must be from a recommender that you did not use in your previous application.

EssaySnark

PS: Welcome to GMAT Club!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
essaysnark wrote:
juancito05 wrote:
Hello guys!

What new process are you talking about? Nothing has changed about how Columbia is doing admissions. They did get a new website which is nicer but the process is the same, and the application is very clear:

Columbia application wrote:
Please note those who are reapplying to Columbia Business School are required to submit one additional recommendation. This recommendation must be from a recommender that you did not use in your previous application.

EssaySnark

PS: Welcome to GMAT Club!

Thank you for your answer!

That point is confusing me a little bit. When they say "one additional recommendation", they mean that i need to ask only ONE recommendation letter this year, right? and not three.

Thanks again!

Originally posted by juancito05 on 17 Aug 2013, 12:44.
Last edited by juancito05 on 17 Aug 2013, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
Right, just one!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Just saw this little piece on one of CBS's professors - by Social Media Portal.
If you are thinking about doing social media/advertising at CBS you might want to take a look at this.
May lead to some good material for your essays.

https://www.socialmediaportal.com/Profil ... chool.aspx
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V42
GMAT 3: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.51
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
Juancito, EssaySnark is right. I asked an Adcom about this via email earlier in the summer and they assured me just one recommendation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
so i applied 7/23 and got notice today of denied w/o interview. 750 gmat and 3.7 gpa. on to the next one . . .
Send PM
Ouch, Swoosh617, that's a real bummer. Your stats are impressive. Columbia cares about the career goals a lot and a complete guess is simply that those maybe weren't presented in as compelling a way as they needed to be (we see that frequently). The good part (?) of the ED app is that you heard back in plenty of time to regroup - an expensive learning experience perhaps, but you can still do a bunch of Rd 1 apps so you're ahead of the game if you look at the big picture.

Still. That hurts and we know it. Sorry to hear that decision. :-( You clearly have a lot going for you so don't let it get you down.

EssaySnark
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Send PM
essaysnark wrote:
Ouch, Swoosh617, that's a real bummer. Your stats are impressive. Columbia cares about the career goals a lot and a complete guess is simply that those maybe weren't presented in as compelling a way as they needed to be (we see that frequently). The good part (?) of the ED app is that you heard back in plenty of time to regroup - an expensive learning experience perhaps, but you can still do a bunch of Rd 1 apps so you're ahead of the game if you look at the big picture.

Still. That hurts and we know it. Sorry to hear that decision. :-( You clearly have a lot going for you so don't let it get you down.

EssaySnark

Thanks EssaySnark. For what it's worth to others, a quick two second reflection of where I think I fell short:

I'm on the younger side, 24 and have worked for a small hedge fund in LA for a little over two years now. I want to continue working as a buy-side analyst for a more prominent firm and eventually become a portfolio manager and particularly with a Value Strategy firm. So naturally, Columbia had the two things I needed to advance 1) the value investment education, and 2) the network to hedge funds and peer professionals, (all about proximity to experts in this field). Even though I stressed this in my essays, I think, like Snark said, I the lacked the "compelling" aspect to it. I have to go back and review what I could have changed, what i should have overemphasized/underemphasized, and hopefully the upcoming applications will be better. I also think I lacked the "awe-inspiring" quality. If the adcom reviewer was thinking about the candidates in his head, she would have thought about the "out-of-college CEO," "consultant from Country A, now working in Country B," etc. I don't think she would have been able to put that two-word label on me because I didn't have a story that I portrayed.

Also a point to add: I didn't believe it at first, but I do think you get a much better idea of putting together a strong application after your first one. Just the thinking about the whole thing, and looking at the other five schools that I'll be applying to, I feel like the story/theme is much clearer in my head versus what was shown on the Columbia app. If I get denied from the remaining five schools (all of which should be tougher to get into), then I'm still feeling pretty confident about reapplying to Columbia next year.

Originally posted by Swoosh617 on 20 Aug 2013, 13:47.
Last edited by Swoosh617 on 20 Aug 2013, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
If you want to PM us with your Columbia essay 1, we can give you a quick thumbs-up/down on whether the goals themselves were "compelling" enough.

You might simply be hitting the age thing though - Columbia generally does like to see a bit more work experience.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Send PM
I submitted my CBS app last week, but one of my rec is still not in....is it going to look sloppy on my part? I know Columbia has no deadline, but wondering if it can hurt me?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
hailmary wrote:
I submitted my CBS app last week, but one of my rec is still not in....is it going to look sloppy on my part? I know Columbia has no deadline, but wondering if it can hurt me?

I honestly don't think it can hurt your application. The submission of a rec. is the duty of your recommender since he accepted to write it, not yours - I wouldn't worry about that if I were you.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Can some one please post the recommendation questions with added constraints like the word limit etc
Thanks
Send PM
kapilhede17 wrote:
Can some one please post the recommendation questions with added constraints like the word limit etc
Thanks

They're posted on the Columbia site:
https://www8.gsb.columbia.edu/programs-admissions/mba/admissions/application-requirements#6

The whole letter should be under 1,000 words.

EssaySnark
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
So after a pretty insightful back-and-forth convo that I had with EssaySnark through PM, here's some takeaways that I think could help some of you applying:

Most of the convo was about that first essay involving your post-MBA goal. I made the mistake of assuming that since the short-response question was asking about the short-term goal, that I would spend the entire essay talking about my long-term goal. The advice I had gotten previously was to talk about where I wanted to be at the peak of my career. The problem was that adcom generally looks for applicants that have a realistic idea of where they want to be 5-8 years from now and how an MBA will take them there. My essay must have been confusing because I spent too much time talking about where I wanted to be 15-20 years from now, without ever stating that that's the time frame i was speaking towards. It made it sound as if I would be running my own investment management fund before I was 30, which painted a pretty unrealistic picture in the eyes of adcom.

If anything, I should have at least built a clear roadmap between where I am now and where I will be at my peak, but the majority of the essay should have been about where I see myself in those middle years.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Has anyone gotten accepted or denied post-interview for ED yet?

I applied 7/10 got my interview invitation 8/1 and interviwed 8/14. I'm pretty anxious about getting a final decision so I can either relax or move on.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.18
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
lamba2016 wrote:
Has anyone gotten accepted or denied post-interview for ED yet?

I applied 7/10 got my interview invitation 8/1 and interviwed 8/14. I'm pretty anxious about getting a final decision so I can either relax or move on.

Hi Lamba,

On the first page of this thread, it says there's been one gmatclub member acceptance through early decision so far, and that it was four days ago. I myself applied 7/19, got invitation on 8/12, interviewed on 8/20, and was notified that feedback was delivered on 8/21. I thought my interview went very well, and I really enjoyed meeting my Ambassador. I haven't heard back yet, but I'm optimistic.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  60   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts