Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3178 [66]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [12]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [6]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [2]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Re: Concerned about various forms of workplace harassment, a city attorney [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The conclusion of the stimulus instigates that the reason for the increase of complaints was because of the success of the campaign. This is the argument we are trying to weaken.

Orange08 wrote:
Concerned about various forms of workplace harassment, a city attorney’s office instituted a publicity campaign last year encouraging victims of such harassment to come forward and file reports of the harassment. During the year following the inception of the publicity campaign, the frequency of harassment reports filed with the city attorney’s office tripled. The publicity campaign has therefore been successful, in that it has inspired more victims of workplace harassment to pursue their complaints.

Which of the following most seriously weakens the conclusion of the passage above?

a) The increase in harassment complaints has consisted almost exclusively of additional complaints of racial harassment; complaints of other varieties of harassment have not increased significantly. This is irrelevant. We are not told anything about the campaign; the types of harassment are immaterial here in context

b) Although the number of complaints has tripled, the number of complaints that have resulted in successful prosecutions or civil penalties for the harassers has not increased significantly. We are not worried about the prosecution here.

c) Many individuals who have brought complaints within the past year were previously unaware that the behavior to which they had been subjected was regarded legally as harassment. This actually strengthens the argument by saying that more individuals are encouraged, meaning the campaain was successful

d) The publicity campaign has emphasized the fact that there will be no legal reprisals or other negative consequences for complainants whose complaints are deemed false or invalid. This could just mean that a lot of people filed false complaints. This undermines the success of the campaign. Hence true.

e) The city attorney’s office originally instituted the campaign in response to falling numbers of workplace harassment complaints. Completely irrelevant
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [5]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: Concerned about various forms of workplace harassment, a city attorney [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Orange08 wrote:
Concerned about various forms of workplace harassment, a city attorney’s office instituted a publicity campaign last year encouraging victims of such harassment to come forward and file reports of the harassment. During the year following the inception of the publicity campaign, the frequency of harassment reports filed with the city attorney’s office tripled. The publicity campaign has therefore been successful, in that it has inspired more victims of workplace harassment to pursue their complaints.

Which of the following most seriously weakens the conclusion of the passage above?

a) The increase in harassment complaints has consisted almost exclusively of additional complaints of racial harassment; complaints of other varieties of harassment have not increased significantly.

b) Although the number of complaints has tripled, the number of complaints that have resulted in successful prosecutions or civil penalties for the harassers has not increased significantly.

c) Many individuals who have brought complaints within the past year were previously unaware that the behavior to which they had been subjected was regarded legally as harassment.

d) The publicity campaign has emphasized the fact that there will be no legal reprisals or other negative consequences for complainants whose complaints are deemed false or invalid.

e) The city attorney’s office originally instituted the campaign in response to falling numbers of workplace harassment complaints.

This is a terrible question. Where is it from? For the original argument to be valid, we only need to know that the number of legitimate complaints increased. For D to be a good answer, we need to assume that enough people had the thought 'Oh, nothing bad will happen to me, so I'm going to file a bogus harassment complaint!' for the number of complaints to triple. That seems preposterous to me, and requires one to make some pretty cynical assumptions about humanity. There are no other good answers here, so I imagine the OA is D, but it's not a good answer, since it barely weakens the argument; that the campaign emphasized that people would face no negative consequences for making bogus complaints is not evidence that the number of bogus complaints actually increased.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3178 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Hello all,
OA is D.

Hi Ian,
I completely agree with you. Not only this, there were couple of other CRs in the same MGMAT online test that had similar weak options. I got few incorrect and believe me, though I have pretty good confidence in CRs, after facing such questions,my confidence has been shaken of no reason.

That's the only reason that I had put this question in the forum. I wanted to see if others felt the same as I had.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
Own Kudos [?]: 1246 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
 Q49  V34 GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V37
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Send PM
Ian and Orange,
I can see your point but there is nothing cynically preposterous in the argument in support of D. If the reprisals are removed it would make people to make the meekest of complaints which they otherwise would not have made as they would introspect and realize its not worth it (I am not saying that they would ignore it... but just that they might talk to some colleagues, discuss with family before filing a case). But now they need not really do that.

I definitely don't think this is a ridiculous question. Just my thought though.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos
D says that there will be no negative consequences for false complaints. So it actually encourages all the people to lodge complaints even if they are false. This actually weakens the argument which claims that the number of complains have tripled in the last year. Because most the complaints are false and the the actual number of complaints hasn't increased a lot. So the publicity campaign has not been as successful as they are claiming.

So D is the correct answer
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Institute (CFA Candiate), Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CA Candiate), Chartered Alternative Investments Analysts Association (CAIA Candidate)
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Research (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Our conclusion is "The publicity campaign has therefore been successful, in that it has inspired more victims of workplace harassment to pursue their complaints."

We could weaken this if we could prove one of the following:

- The publicity campaign was not the reason for the increase in complaints.
- It has inspired less victims to pursue their complaints.

(A) Racial harassment can occur at work, which would supportthe conclusion.
(B) Irrelevant information. The campaign's goal was to increase the number of complaints. The attorney's office could still claim that the campaign was successful, and therefore this does not weaken the argument.
(C) This implies that victims who would not have come in previously (due to their ignorance of the legal definition of harassment) will now begin to file complaints. This can be considered a victory for the attorney's office - and therefore strengthen the argument.
(E) This adds new, but irrelevant, information. The reason behind the campaign isn't being discussed, this simply widens the scope.

Answer (D): The easiest way to reach this conclusion is to rule out the other 4 choices. While this isn't an ideal "weakening", it is the most likely to weaken the argument. What this statement suggests is that while there may be an increase in overall claims, it may not lead to an increase in claims made by actual victims. Rather, it may increase false claims, while leaving the number of victim claims the same, or lower.

Note: I had originally chosen (C) as my answer. See reasoning in quote (by optimusprime) below. I have changed my response to reflect the solution, and to ensure that no one is led astray by my initial response.

Originally posted by Sovjet on 14 Aug 2011, 11:53.
Last edited by Sovjet on 14 Aug 2011, 22:43, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5416 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
mun23 wrote:

(A)The increase in harassment complaints has consisted almost exclusively of additional complaints of racial harassment; complaints of other varieties of harassment have not increased significantly.
(B)Although the number of complaints has tripled, the number of complaints that have resulted in successful prosecutions or civil penalties for the harassers has not increased significantly.
(C)Many individuals who have brought complaints within the past year were previously unaware that the behavior to which they had been subjected was regarded legally as harassment.¬
(D)The publicity campaign has emphasized the fact that there will be no legal reprisals or other negative consequences for complainants whose complaints are deemed false or invalid.
(E)The city attorney’s office originally instituted the campaign in response to falling numbers of workplace harassment complaints.

Need explanation...........why ans is d

Hi mun23,

Lets first simplify the stimulus,

Premises: City attorney's campaign encouraged victims of harassment to report it, then the filed reports increased.

Conclusion: Increase in the reports filed is because of the campaign.

This is a typical "cause and effect" argument. The cause is "attorney's campaign" and the effect is "increase in filed reports"

In most cases the choice that weakens a "cause and effect" argument is either

i) The one that shows that the causality is happening in the opposite direction i.e. the cause is the effect

or

ii) The one that shows that the effect is caused by a cause other than the one mentioned in the argument.

(D)The publicity campaign has emphasized the fact that there will be no legal reprisals or other negative consequences for complainants whose complaints are deemed false or invalid.

This answer choice is the second of the two weakeners types mentioned above. This choice shows that the effect i.e. "increase in filing of reports" is cause by a different cause i.e. "no negative consequences of complaints". If offenders will face little danger of being punished then they will be encouraged to harass and victimize even more people, so the likely cause of increase in harassment reports is due to this fact and not because of the campaign, thus, weakening our conclusion.

Hope this helps,

Vercules
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [1]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mun23 wrote:

(A)The increase in harassment complaints has consisted almost exclusively of additional complaints of racial harassment; complaints of other varieties of harassment have not increased significantly.
(B)Although the number of complaints has tripled, the number of complaints that have resulted in successful prosecutions or civil penalties for the harassers has not increased significantly.
(C)Many individuals who have brought complaints within the past year were previously unaware that the behavior to which they had been subjected was regarded legally as harassment.¬
(E)The city attorney’s office originally instituted the campaign in response to falling numbers of workplace harassment complaints.

Hi,

Let's first understand the argument.

Premises:

1. Attorney instituted a campaign to encourage victims to report incidents of harassment.
2. Next year, the number of harassment reports tripled

Conclusion: Campaign successful - because it has inspired more victims of workplace harassment to pursue their complaints (pay attention to the underlined word. It'll come in handy in understanding choice D)

Let's look at Option D:

(D)The publicity campaign has emphasized the fact that there will be no legal reprisals or other negative consequences for complainants whose complaints are deemed false or invalid. - Read the underlined parts carefully. What do they lead to? Will it make more people to file frivolous (false) harassment complaints? If yes, then the tripling of harassment reports doesn't necessarily mean that more victims are inspired to pursue their complaints; rather, it could mean that many more false complaints are being filed since people are not afraid anymore of the implications of filing false complaints. Thus, this weakens the conclusion.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 440 [0]
Given Kudos: 166
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
egmat wrote:
mun23 wrote:

Hi,

Let's first understand the argument.

Premises:

1. Attorney instituted a campaign to encourage victims to report incidents of harassment.
2. Next year, the number of harassment reports tripled

Conclusion: Campaign successful - because it has inspired more victims of workplace harassment to pursue their complaints (pay attention to the underlined word. It'll come in handy in understanding choice D)

Let's look at Option D:

(D)The publicity campaign has emphasized the fact that there will be no legal reprisals or other negative consequences for complainants whose complaints are deemed false or invalid. - Read the underlined parts carefully. What do they lead to? Will it make more people to file frivolous (false) harassment complaints? If yes, then the tripling of harassment reports doesn't necessarily mean that more victims are inspired to pursue their complaints; rather, it could mean that many more false complaints are being filed since people are not afraid anymore of the implications of filing false complaints. Thus, this weakens the conclusion.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

But I yet not convinced .
"The publicity campaign has emphasized the fact that there will be no legal reprisals or other negative consequences for complainants whose complaints are deemed false or invalid."

That means that it is because of the publicity campain only that the people came to know that there will be no legal reprisals or other negative consequences for complainants whose complaints are deemed false or invalid.
Hence indirectly the publicity campaign only helped the increase.. right ?

Please clarify
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Practicegmat wrote:
But I yet not convinced .
"The publicity campaign has emphasized the fact that there will be no legal reprisals or other negative consequences for complainants whose complaints are deemed false or invalid."

That means that it is because of the publicity campain only that the people came to know that there will be no legal reprisals or other negative consequences for complainants whose complaints are deemed false or invalid.
Hence indirectly the publicity campaign only helped the increase.. right ?

Please clarify

Hi,

The answer to your question is Yes. Directly or indirectly, the publicity campaign led to the increase in the number of complaints. I agree with this.

But does this means that more victims have filed complaints? I am asking this because the conclusion of the passage says "The publicity campaign has therefore been successful, in that it has inspired more victims of workplace harassment to pursue their complaints."

After reading option D, we can't be sure that more victims filed their complaints. Since the campaign so much emphasized that no action will be taken against frivolous complaints, the increase in the number of complaints was probably due to extraordinary increase in bogus complaints. In other words, probably, victims didn't file more complaints.

The above reasoning makes us unsure of the statement that the campaign was successful for the reason given. Therefore, this option weakens the conclusion.

Does this explanation make sense?

If it still doesn't help, let me know your specific problem with the reasoning above.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Hi nightblade354,

Please let me know whether my understanding is correct for this question. Now the question says that the number of harassment reports tripled in the year following the year of inception. So, basically, if the program was incepted in 2018, the rise was experienced in 2019 i.e. not in the same year.

My assumption :-

1. There must be some change from year 1 to year 2 that encountered for this change in behaviour..But the option D nowhere states that the fact was emphasized in the second year.

2. But Option B clearly captures the gap. So, there is an increase in the reports of harassment. But we are concerned about workplace harassment only.

Let me know your thoughts on it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Hi nightblade354,

Please let me know whether my understanding is correct for this question. Now the question says that the number of harassment reports tripled in the year following the year of inception. So, basically, if the program was incepted in 2018, the rise was experienced in 2019 i.e. not in the same year.

My assumption :-

1. There must be some change from year 1 to year 2 that encountered for this change in behaviour..But the option D nowhere states that the fact was emphasized in the second year.

2. But Option B clearly captures the gap. So, there is an increase in the reports of harassment. But we are concerned about workplace harassment only.

Let me know your thoughts on it.
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5743 [2]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Wonderwoman31, The reason B is incorrect is because we do not care about resolutions. See the final sentence: "The publicity campaign has therefore been successful, in that it has inspired more victims of workplace harassment to pursue their complaints". We are not concerned about successes vs. failures, but only whether people come forward as victims.

You seem to be focusing on the yearly difference, but I think you ignored what you needed to weaken. D says that people will not be punished for lying if they come forward. So this would weaken the argument because it may not be that more victims are coming forward. I admit this not an air-tight solution, as there is the possibility that it won't affect the outcome, but it is by far the best option.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1041 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
nightblade354 wrote:
Wonderwoman31, The reason B is incorrect is because we do not care about resolutions. See the final sentence: "The publicity campaign has therefore been successful, in that it has inspired more victims of workplace harassment to pursue their complaints". We are not concerned about successes vs. failures, but only whether people come forward as victims.

You seem to be focusing on the yearly difference, but I think you ignored what you needed to weaken. D says that people will not be punished for lying if they come forward. So this would weaken the argument because it may not be that more victims are coming forward. I admit this not an air-tight solution, as there is the possibility that it won't affect the outcome, but it is by far the best option.

Hi nightblade354 I understand why D is correct but why is A incorrect? If the increase in harassment complaints consisted almost exclusively of additional complaints of racial harassment; this could mean that there might have been some other trigger for this and not the actual campaign.
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5743 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kritisood wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:

Hi nightblade354 I understand why D is correct but why is A incorrect? If the increase in harassment complaints consisted almost exclusively of additional complaints of racial harassment; this could mean that there might have been some other trigger for this and not the actual campaign.

That is technically correct and this question is not air-tight. But, because we cannot know for certain whether it is or is not the campaign, we cannot assume that it is one or the other. As a result, there is no way this could weaken the argument. Thus, given the parameters it is at worst a neutral and at best a strengthener.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Expert Reply
WEAKEN

Pre-thinking: It is a fact that the number of complaints filed to the attorney's office has tripled. The conclusion says that "the campaign has inspired more victims of workplace harassment to pursue their complaints." . Therefore, we can attack this in the following way:

1. Cause effect - saying that the people who reported this harrassment were inspired by something other than the campaign, or that now, somehow, it has become easier to file a complain.

2. Showing that these people who report are not actual " victims of workplace harassment ". And thus, this reports are being used unfairly.

A. The increase in harassment complaints has consisted almost exclusively of additional complaints of racial harassment; complaints of other varieties of harassment have not increased significantly. ----- This strengthens the argument because it insinuates that the campaign was effective at making people more aware of racial harassment.

B. Although the number of complaints has tripled, the number of complaints that have resulted in successful prosecutions or civil penalties for the harassers has not increased significantly. --------- Out of scope. The conclusion does not state that more violators are being punished, but that people now, because of the campaign, are more willing to report this cases.

C. Many individuals who have brought complaints within the past year were previously unaware that the behavior to which they had been subjected was regarded legally as harassment. ---------- This strengthen the conclusion. If people were unaware in the past, then it could mean that the campaign has made them aware now and that's why they are filing more reports.

D. The publicity campaign has emphasized the fact that there will be no legal reprisals or other negative consequences for complainants whose complaints are deemed false or invalid. ------ CORRECT. The reports are being filed by people who are not really being harassed. This campaign has made anyone be able to use this system unfairly, and is not necessarily helping the actual victims of harassment.

E. The city attorney’s office originally instituted the campaign in response to falling numbers of workplace harassment complaints. -------- Out of scope. We do not care about the motivations to come up with the campaign.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
I don't agree with the OA. If cases of racial harassment goes up, these could be completely unrelated to workplace as far as we know.

I don't disagree with D, I just think A could work too

AndrewN

Stick to official questions :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts