Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:38 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [22]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30800 [19]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [5]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Send PM
Re: Due to the fact that Jordan wrecked Bono's station wagon during a road [#permalink]
Kudos
B

I think clarity is the issue

in A

has not been and probably never would be allowed to drive

she has been -- what not allowed to date
not allowed to dance
not allowed to sing

B although wordy, is intelligible

has not been allowed to drive and probably never will be allowed to drive

Professor,

I see what you are saying is that a rule though?

besides 'will' is more corret here than 'would'

'probably' already brings in the element of uncertainty. we may not need a 'would' again

Comments anyone?

this is a great question. thanks u2lover
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Schools:Kellogg(A), Wharton(W), Columbia(D)
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Re: Due to the fact that Jordan wrecked Bono's station wagon during a road [#permalink]
Quote:
Due to the fact that Jordan wrecked Bono's station wagon during a road trip last summer, she has not been and probably never would be allowed to drive her father's car.

Okay I think it boils down to A and B. Now consider the case of A -

(A) has not been and probably never would be allowed to drive
has not been --> been is a verb that completes the structure. IMO that I can interpret the sentence to say -

Due to the fact that Jordan wrecked Bono's station wagon during a road trip last summer, she has not been. The END of first part. Also, she probably never would be allowed to drive her father's car..

I mean you can look at the structure like -
Due to the fact that Jordan wrecked Bono's station wagon during a road trip last summer, she X and Y.
x= has not been
y= probably never would be allowed to drive her father's car.

Or, to do a test replace been with EATEN.
Due to the fact that Jordan wrecked Bono's station wagon during a road trip last summer, she has not EATEN and probably never would be allowed to drive her father's car.
So, I think it is reasonable to assume A is nonsensical.

(B) has not been allowed to drive and probably never will be allowed to drive

B apparently manages to avoid this problem and share "her father's car" as the object of both clauses.

rgds
Quote:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [4]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Kudos
IMO B

"Would" indicates uncertainty, and "probably" also indicates uncertainty. So "would" is redundant here. So A and D are out.

Also, option C, D and E has incorrect and awkward structures "has not....allowed to drive". The correct structure should be "has not been... allowed" or "is not...allowed" etc
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6508 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Quote:
Due to the fact that Jordan wrecked Bono's station wagon during a road trip last summer, she has not been and probably never would be allowed to drive her father's car.

(C) has not and probably never would be allowed to drive
(D) has not and probably will never be allowed to drive
(E) has not and probably never will be allowed to drive

First of all,a prediction is being made so "would" is out.
A,C eliminate.
Between B,D ,E..can somebody gve proper expalnation??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Columbia, NYU, Wharton, UCLA, Berkeley
WE 1: 2 Yrs mgmt consulting
WE 2: 2 yrs m&a
Send PM
Kudos
It's gonna be B.

The intention of A is to jump from present to future tense. "Has not been" and "will never be"

But it uses the word "would". Now "would" is not present or future tense. It is reference the future but is more conditional/probability. Not present or future tense.

Thus, A cannot be correct and unless it uses "will never be"

B is clear but it's so long. In speaking I'd always try to abbreviate, but in abbreviating it's grammatically incorrect, at least the choices that are presented here. B is correct and clear.

Give me kudos and I'll answer more! Hit the button under my name for "Kudos"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Kudos
Wrong: London always has and always will be the capital of the United Kingdom.

Correct: London always has been and always will be the capital of the United Kingdom.

No doubt B is the answer,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
u2lover wrote:

(C) has not and probably never would be allowed to drive

(D) has not and probably will never be allowed to drive

(E) has not and probably never will be allowed to drive

Spoon-feeding is preferable for explanations :wink: and again... the characters' names were changed to be less boring (Jordan is the real name of one of Bono's kids) :lol:

Let us read this in this way:
Due to the fact that Jordan wrecked Bono's station wagon, she has not been and probably never would be allowed to drive her father's car.

The sequence should be chronological -
1st - wrecked
2nd-1 - she has not been allowed to....
2nd-2 - she never would be allowed to...

2nd-1 and 2nd-2 should be parallel to make any sense

so one possible correct way is :
1st - wrecked
2nd-1 - she has not been allowed to....
2nd-2 - she never will be allowed to...

C,D,E - ruled out because HAS NOT does not have correct Verb

Out of A,B - Go with B

In SC - it is the best available choice that we need to go with and not the best possible choice
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 2: 640  Q49  V28
Send PM
Kudos
prashantbacchewar wrote:
Due to the fact that Greg wrecked his family's station wagon during a road trip last summer, he has not been and probably never would be allowed to drive his father's car
A.has not been and probably never would be allowed to drive.
B.has not been allowed to drive and probably never will be allowed to drive.
C.has not and probably never would be allowed to drive.
D.has not and probably will never be allowed to drive.
E.has not and probably never will be allowed to drive.

Please explaing the solution.

The SC question is checking ||sm. The answer option should make "he XXXX || YYYY"
Only (B) maintains this ||sm.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [5]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
prashantbacchewar wrote:
Due to the fact that Greg wrecked his family's station wagon during a road trip last summer, he has not been and probably never would be allowed to drive his father's car
A.has not been and probably never would be allowed to drive.
B.has not been allowed to drive and probably never will be allowed to drive.
C.has not and probably never would be allowed to drive.
D.has not and probably will never be allowed to drive.
E.has not and probably never will be allowed to drive.

Please explaing the solution.

Only A and B make parallel senses. However, in choice A, I do not prefer with the tense here. Tense in choice B is more preferable. This point, I agree totally with fluke. Besides, another point, I remember some book says that "if you want to change the tense of the same action, you have to write it again in full version". The placement of "never" is acceptable.

Hope that help :D.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [1]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
Kudos
egmat wrote:
Hi,
Due to the fact that Greg wrecked his family's station wagon during a road trip last summer, he has not been and probably never would be allowed to drive his father's car.

The only error in this sentence is the verb tense error. Use of “would’ is incorrect here. Conditional “would” is used when the sentence talks about a hypothetical situation, an assumption or any expectation about the future as all these three conditions involve uncertainty. For example: The investors are expecting that the market would improve in the next couple of days.
Use of “would” is correct here because the sentence talks about the expectation of the investors. It is not sure whether the market will really improve or not. Due to the uncertainty of a future event, use of “would” is correct.
In this sentence, it is almost certain that Greg will never be allowed to drive his father’s car in the future. I say almost only because of the presence of “probably” in the sentence. Use of “would” is incorrect here because there is no uncertainty about the fact whether Greg will be allowed to drive his father’s car or not. There is no hypothetical situation here, no assumption and not even any kind of expectation involved in this sentence.

POE:

A: Wrong as discussed.

B: Correct answer. This answer choice uses the correct verb tense as well as the correct parallel structure. Notice that the use of “never” before “will be allowed” is absolutely correct. “never” is an adverb that modifies the verb “will be allowed”. So it is correct to place it before “will be allowed”.

C: Wrong.
i. Same verb tense error as in A.
ii. “has not be allowed to drive” is ungrammatical.

D: Wrong. Same error as in C.

E: Wrong: Same error as in C.

1. Use conditional "would" only when the sentence talks about a hypothetical situation, an expectation about the future or an assumption.
2. The entities in a parallel list must be grammatically as well as logically parallel.
3. The words that are not "repeated" in the sentence must be present in the sentence somewhere in its original form and must not make the sentence ungrammatical.

The concepts covered in this sentence have been covered in e-gmat concepts:
1. Level 2 - Conditional "Would"
2. Level 1 - Parallelism - Identify and Correct
3. Level 1 - Parallelism - Helpful Tips

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,

Sorry but I do not agree with your explanation. The use of 'probably' is clearly a hypothetical stance and precisely the reason why A should not be the answer as we need 'would instead of will. B should be the correct answer.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM