Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 02:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging auditors to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford...Wait, I will come!!!
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging auditors to [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 06:35
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

89% (01:49) correct 11% (01:20) wrong based on 29 sessions
Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging auditors to bend the rules in favor of clients; auditors may, for instance, allow a questionable loan to remain on the books in order to maintain a bank’s profits on paper.
(A) clients; auditors may, for instance, allow
(B) clients, as an instance, to allow
(C) clients, like to allow
(D) clients, such as to be allowing
(E) clients; which might, as an instance, be the allowing of

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: clients; auditors may [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 17:45
A
semicolon is required.that leaves A nd E. E is wordy and awkward. hence A
lgon wrote:
Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging auditors to bend the rules in favor of clients; auditors may, for instance, allow a questionable loan to remain on the books in order to maintain a bank’s profits on paper.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: clients; auditors may [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 09:57
(A) clients; auditors may, for instance, allow (For an instance is the right usage)
(B) clients, as an instance, to allow --- Perfect
(C) clients, like to allow ---- (like is used only for noun comparisions)
(D) clients, such as to be allowing (to be is wrongly used)
(E) clients; which might, as an instance, be the allowing of ( when ; is used the 2 statements sholud be mutually exclusive. But here the 2nd can't survive without the first)

Hence, IMO B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: clients; auditors may [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 07:05
ritula wrote:
A
semicolon is required.that leaves A nd E. E is wordy and awkward. hence A
lgon wrote:

Why do we need semicolon ?

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: clients; auditors may [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 23:19
A...The clause after the semicolon should have a complete meaning...That's done correctly in A...

Choose Life

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: clients; auditors may [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 12:09
trainspotting wrote:
A...The clause after the semicolon should have a complete meaning...That's done correctly in A...

well thanks for the answer but I did not understand when we use semicolon ?

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Anderson
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [2] , given: 3

Re: clients; auditors may [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 09:47
This post received
KUDOS
perfectstranger wrote:
trainspotting wrote:

well thanks for the answer but I did not understand when we use semicolon ?

IMO A.

I don't know WHEN to use a semicolon, but I can tell you how to know WHETHER it is correct.

(1) the sentence on both sides of the semicolon should be stand-alone or independent sentences i.e they should not be clauses.

(2) the sentences on both sides of the semicolon should be related and talking about the same topic/idea.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: clients; auditors may [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 17:24
lgon wrote:

IMO, A seems to be the correct answer. The subject in the first part of the sentence is competitive pressure. However, the second part of the sentence is about an action that an "auditor" may take and not "competitive pressure". Hence, we need to split the sentence using semicolon and introduce a new subject "auditor" to the second sentence.

What's the OA?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: clients; auditors may [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 21:43
A semi colon links two related clauses.

1)Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging auditors to bend the rules in favor of clients;
2)auditors may, for instance, allow a questionable loan to remain on the books in order to maintain a bank’s profits on paper.

1st indicates that the auditors might bend some rules in favor of their clients, while the 2nd indicates how it can be done.

'A' seems the best option.

"Always....Read between the lines"

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1192

Kudos [?]: 3189 [0], given: 179

Re: Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging auditors to [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 15:26
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Free Webinar: August 03, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging auditors to [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 02:58
This post was
BOOKMARKED
egmat wrote:

Hi,
Is B wrong only because it distorts the meaning?

Regards,
Sachin

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1192

Kudos [?]: 3189 [0], given: 179

Re: Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging auditors to [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 08:55
Expert's post
Sachin9 wrote:
Hi,

Regards,
Sachin

Hi Sachin,

Choice B is incorrect because use of "as an instance" is not correct here. The idiom by itself is not incorrect, but it is not correct the way it has been used here. And of course, there is a meaning issue in this sentence. This is explained in the video.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: August 03, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging auditors to [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 08:59
egmat wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:
Hi,

Regards,
Sachin

Hi Sachin,

Choice B is incorrect because use of "as an instance" is not correct here. The idiom by itself is not incorrect, but it is not correct the way it has been used here. And of course, there is a meaning issue in this sentence. This is explained in the video.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Thanks Shraddha, Would request you to throw some light on the correct usage of the idiom. If it were to come on the GMAT, it will help us..

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 4

Re: Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging auditors to [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 09:51
Hi,

I will see if I can help you Sachin,

In this example 'for instance' means something similar to 'for example'. In this context, when giving an example on a point 'as an instance' is not the correct idion.

"as an instance" is not awful full stop, and there are times where it could be used. You can use it in the phrase 'as an instance of' to illustrate when one thing is an example of something else.

Hope that helps.

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Manager
Manager
Schools: Jones '15

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging auditors to [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 10:22
(A) clients; auditors may, for instance, allow semicolon separates two independent clause with use of subordinates. As an instance does not qualify as subordinate
(B) clients, as an instance, to allow Correct
(C) clients, like to allow like should not be used to introduce examples
(D) clients, such as to be allowingsuch as to be - awkward and wordy. It can be simply phrased as such as allowing
(E) clients; which might, as an instance, be the allowing of semicolon separates two independent clause. The second clause here does not qualify as independent clause

IMO, answer is B.

Last edited by nanishora on 26 Nov 2012, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 4

Re: Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging auditors to [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 10:28
Hi, Nanishora,

E-gmat's video provides the full explanation and reasoning so I'd watch that.

However, briefly:

B is incorrect because both it distorts the meaning of the sentence, and 'as an instance' is incorrect.

'for instance' is correct here, as it shows that we are seeing one example of the practice explained in the opening section. It's essentially a synonym for 'for example'

Cheers,

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Manager
Manager
Schools: Jones '15

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging auditors to [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 10:32
plumber250 wrote:
Hi, Nanishora,

E-gmat's video provides the full explanation and reasoning so I'd watch that.

However, briefly:

B is incorrect because both it distorts the meaning of the sentence, and 'as an instance' is incorrect.

'for instance' is correct here, as it shows that we are seeing one example of the practice explained in the opening section. It's essentially a synonym for 'for example'

Cheers,

James

Thanks, I reviewed the video. You are absolutely right!! I agree that as an instance is unidiomatic. I guess it was my choice among A and B. I ruled out A since I did not think of giving instance as a subordinate clause. Should this be considered a subordinate clause? Does this usage justify it as an independent clause??
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging auditors to [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 18:38
plumber250 wrote:
Hi,

I will see if I can help you Sachin,

In this example 'for instance' means something similar to 'for example'. In this context, when giving an example on a point 'as an instance' is not the correct idion.

"as an instance" is not awful full stop, and there are times where it could be used. You can use it in the phrase 'as an instance of' to illustrate when one thing is an example of something else.

Hope that helps.

James

http://sentence.yourdictionary.com/instance

http://www.myenglishteacher.net/forexample.html

I checked the above 2 links as well. Have some good idea now.. Thanks for your reply.

Re: Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging auditors to   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2012, 18:38