It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 09:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging auditors to bend the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Schools: Jones '15
Re: Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging auditors to bend the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2012, 11:22
Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging auditors to bend the rules in favor of clients; auditors may, for instance, allow a questionable loan to remain on the books in order to maintain a bank’s profits on paper.
(A) clients; auditors may, for instance, allow semicolon separates two independent clause with use of subordinates. As an instance does not qualify as subordinate
(B) clients, as an instance, to allow Correct
(C) clients, like to allow like should not be used to introduce examples
(D) clients, such as to be allowingsuch as to be - awkward and wordy. It can be simply phrased as such as allowing
(E) clients; which might, as an instance, be the allowing of semicolon separates two independent clause. The second clause here does not qualify as independent clause

IMO, answer is B.

Last edited by nanishora on 26 Nov 2012, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 429 [0], given: 4

Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Re: Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging auditors to bend the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2012, 11:28
Hi, Nanishora,

E-gmat's video provides the full explanation and reasoning so I'd watch that.

However, briefly:

B is incorrect because both it distorts the meaning of the sentence, and 'as an instance' is incorrect.

'for instance' is correct here, as it shows that we are seeing one example of the practice explained in the opening section. It's essentially a synonym for 'for example'

Cheers,

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Kudos [?]: 429 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Schools: Jones '15

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2012, 11:32
plumber250 wrote:
Hi, Nanishora,

E-gmat's video provides the full explanation and reasoning so I'd watch that.

However, briefly:

B is incorrect because both it distorts the meaning of the sentence, and 'as an instance' is incorrect.

'for instance' is correct here, as it shows that we are seeing one example of the practice explained in the opening section. It's essentially a synonym for 'for example'

Cheers,

James

Thanks, I reviewed the video. You are absolutely right!! I agree that as an instance is unidiomatic. I guess it was my choice among A and B. I ruled out A since I did not think of giving instance as a subordinate clause. Should this be considered a subordinate clause? Does this usage justify it as an independent clause??

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 562

GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2012, 19:38
plumber250 wrote:
Hi,

I will see if I can help you Sachin,

In this example 'for instance' means something similar to 'for example'. In this context, when giving an example on a point 'as an instance' is not the correct idion.

"as an instance" is not awful full stop, and there are times where it could be used. You can use it in the phrase 'as an instance of' to illustrate when one thing is an example of something else.

Hope that helps.

James

http://sentence.yourdictionary.com/instance

http://www.myenglishteacher.net/forexample.html

I checked the above 2 links as well. Have some good idea now.. Thanks for your reply.

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : http://gmatclub.com/forum/end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 562

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2013, 01:38
Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging auditors to bend the rules in favor of clients; auditors may, for instance, allow a questionable loan to remain on the books in order to maintain a bank’s profits on paper.
(A) clients; auditors may, for instance, allow
(B) clients, as an instance, to allow
(C) clients, like to allow
(D) clients, such as to be allowing
(E) clients; which might, as an instance, be the allowing of

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2013, 02:44

The sentence doesn`t seem to have problems, the first thing to check is the semi-colon, is there a subject+verb in the second clause so that it can be considered independant?
(B) clients, as an instance, to allow- Passive, as an instance should for instance and who allows?
(C) clients, like to allow- Like does not introduce a an example, it must be a comparason: Clients Like questionable loan?
(D) clients, such as to be allowing- "such as" is correlty used to introduce and example but there is no need for the infintive to be
(E) clients; which might, as an instance, be the allowing of- be the allowing of makes no sense, the semi colon implies that Which, might is the beginning of an independant clause, there is a subject in the phrase

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2013, 22:26
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2014, 11:24

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 243

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2014, 08:28
I don't see choice B distorts the meaning of the sentence. As per the original sentence (the correct one), the intent is to state that Auditors are encouraged to bend rules due to the increase in competition. Choice B is wrong because of incorrect usage of the idiom "as an instance".

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 243

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 24

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2014, 15:07
A.

Clear and concise 2 ICs. Other options are down right wrong.

lgon wrote:

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 24

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 478 [0], given: 200

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.88
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2015, 14:11
Growing competitive pressures is the subject of the sentence B --> Growing competitive pressures.... TO ALLOW (Purpose)->Do you really think, that the subject itself can allow something here ?

Can some of the experts comment it - that was just a way I eliminated choice B.

When you’re up, your friends know who you are. When you’re down, you know who your friends are.

Share some Kudos, if my posts help you. Thank you !

800Score ONLY QUANT CAT1 51, CAT2 50, CAT3 50
GMAT PREP 670
MGMAT CAT 630
KAPLAN CAT 660

Kudos [?]: 478 [0], given: 200

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2016, 03:50

D

Kudos [?]: 464 [0], given: 113

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 20:08
lgon wrote:

Pressure may be encouraging (clause) ; Auditors may allow (clause)

as an instance is incorrect.
pressure may be encouraging auditors to bend....., to allow... (meaning wise wrong and not properly connected)

there is no comparison. like is wrongly used here.

to be allowing is wrong here.

semi colon and then which is wrong usage. no referent for which here.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 464 [0], given: 113

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 00:03
lgon wrote:

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

Correct answer here is A. Semicolon (;) always represent the example to be followed and question stem in itself if correctly formed.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 31

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2017, 08:57

Issues: Modifiers

Analysis:
1. The sentence presents a causation and supports it with an example (the underlined part). Hence, this sentence tests modifier to connect two clauses as well as markers to introduce examples.

- Correctly combines two independent clauses using ";"

- "as an instance" and "to allow" is not connected properly

- "like" is not used to present examples

- "to be" make the sentence non-sensical as it can not an example of "bent rules"

- "; which" is a ungrammatical
- various clauses in this options are not connected properly

Answer: (A)

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 31

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.85
WE: Operations (Consumer Electronics)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 14:17

Why is D eliminated?

~~~~~~ consider giving kudos if you liked the post ~~~~~~

Last edited by broall on 09 Sep 2017, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
Merged topic. Please search before posting question.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 217

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 17:37
ng2 wrote:

Why is D eliminated?

We have already this question - you did not check this moment.
You can read the explanations here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/growing-comp ... 73756.html
D is out because:
1. to be allowing - strange construction. I do not see how we can use it here.
2. such as - not understandable to what noun it refers - it is not as bad as 1, but still.

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 217

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 12

Concentration: Finance, General Management

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 20:02
ng2 wrote:

Why is D eliminated?

You may ask the same query at following link.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/growing-comp ... 73756.html

Kindly search before creating a new topic.

If you like the post, show appreciation by pressing Kudos button

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 12

Re: Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging auditors to bend the   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2017, 20:02

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 38 posts ] 

Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging auditors to bend the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap