Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.3
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Haas EWMBA Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
maalage wrote:
> I guess maalage had his interview today. Lets wait for his/her update.
Mine is on Friday. I had got both the 12/3 and 12/6 options in my invite, opted for the latter.
Will surely post my experience once I am done with it.

Know your resume, what you want to get out of an MBA, why you want to go to Haas, and how the four principles apply to you. If you've got those down, you're good to go. They're not trying to trick you, they just want to get a sense of who you are.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey, thanks packet! I guess apart of those queries, one question that the interviewer might ask me would be along the lines ... "We get tons of applications from engineers like you every-year, how are you different" ... Trying to come up with a good answer to this ... How would delving into personal traits/experiences as a response to this sound? I plan to reiterate one or more of the Haas principles in my response. If I just concentrate on the professional part, I believe I wouldn't have anything to say which stands out from the crowd ...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
maalage wrote:
Hey, thanks packet! I guess apart of those queries, one question that the interviewer might ask me would be along the lines ... "We get tons of applications from engineers like you every-year, how are you different" ... Trying to come up with a good answer to this ... How would delving into personal traits/experiences as a response to this sound? I plan to reiterate one or more of the Haas principles in my response. If I just concentrate on the professional part, I believe I wouldn't have anything to say which stands out from the crowd ...

There's always one weird question you get. If you feel like going through last year's thread, there's a whole list of them. It's usually something targeted towards your specific profile. They asked me something along the lines of 'why have you switched jobs so frequently?'
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I see. I guess a challenging question or two always makes the interview interesting and tests how one can think on one's feet ... And after all, one can only prepare for only so many possible questions ... In any case, let's see :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
maalage wrote:
I see. I guess a challenging question or two always makes the interview interesting and tests how one can think on one's feet ... And after all, one can only prepare for only so many possible questions ... In any case, let's see :)

If you're an Indian Software Engineer, I can guarantee it's going to be "How are you different than all of the other Indian Software Engineers".

In any case, they're not out to get you. So relax and have a bit of fun. Admissions at Haas are really nice people.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
atHaas wrote:
hey all,

I wanted to offer my services. I'm a current EWMBA student at Haas. I remember being in your shoes during the application process, which was a bit daunting and confusing at some points =)

Please let me know if you have any questions.

What tips can you give to someone who has been invited to interview? Can you share your experience on the kind of questions that you were asked?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
saintforlife wrote:
atHaas wrote:
hey all,

I wanted to offer my services. I'm a current EWMBA student at Haas. I remember being in your shoes during the application process, which was a bit daunting and confusing at some points =)

Please let me know if you have any questions.

What tips can you give to someone who has been invited to interview? Can you share your experience on the kind of questions that you were asked?

The interview lasted about 45 mins IIRC. The interviewer was pleasant and the atmosphere was light.
I didn't get any negative type questions, such as "what are your weaknesses?" but that might be just me.
It's a typical interview. Walk me through your resume, Why do you want to get an MBA? What are your future goals? Talk about some some leadership experiences. Random fact about you and your interests.

One question I got caught up a bit was when the interviewer asked me to name a Haas principle and talk about an experience related to that. I used my essay answer, but I kind of wished that I used a different answer, or prepared a bit better.

Stay relaxed and open yourself up. Don't be stiff, talk passionately about your interests, and why you want to go to Haas and let the interviewer get that feeling that you're excited about it. Be personable.

This may be obvious, but dress professionally, i.e. wear a suit if you're a guy and something similar for the girls.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Two IV Tips:

1. Get your butt to a class visit, or at the very least an info session where you seek out the students there for questions to ask some additional one-offs at the end.

In my interview last year, they asked if I had attended a class visit or talked to students and how that had shaped why I wanted to attend. I knew I fit with the 4 principles, and I had enjoyed hearing more about the program at the Women's Workshop (I believe it was replaced by the Diversity Workshop this fall), but I hadn't spent significant time talking to students or in a class visit. I did both a few weeks after my interview, and it really deepened my desire to attend the program, helped me better articulate why Haas and why EWMBA, and gave me a better sense of how the classes can directly impact your current work, that I just didn't have before attending the class, and finding time for coffee with a student I met in the class.

2. I highly recommend showing your personality in the interview. In my feedback session, they noted I had seemed too poised/serious in my interview, and while they had no doubt my answers to their questions were genuine, they didn't feel like they really got to know my personality. It's easy to get nervous, and when you're in a suit in front of a stranger, it's likely you'll err on the formal side, but try to have some fun with your responses and show your sense of humor, unique viewpoint, share bits about your life, etc. If you want to stand out, you'll have to get outside your comfort zone and show your full self, not just your qualifications.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Quote:
Mine is on Friday. I had got both the 12/3 and 12/6 options in my invite, opted for the latter.
Will surely post my experience once I am done with it.

Maalage good luck for tomorrow. Keep us posted how it goes.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey, sure casach! Will surely try to stay relaxed. Thanks for all the advice packet, appreciate it! And to you to atHaas and Bing!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
maalage wrote:
Hey, sure casach! Will surely try to stay relaxed. Thanks for all the advice packet, appreciate it! And to you to atHaas and Bing!

Good luck Maalage!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V37
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
@atHaas @Bing85 @packet82 : Thanks for all the advice. Really helpful :)

For folks in same boat as me:
I had my interview and here is what you want to know -
If you are driving to Berkeley give yourself extra 30 mins. I did that and still just made it in time. Interview started right on time and was exactly 30 mins. It was conversational and casual with same questions as everyone told:
Walk me through your resume
Main Accomplishment at Work
Talk about one Haas Principle
What would you do if you were CEO of your company?
There was back and forth discussion on some of those questions with few unexpected ones. In hindsight, I think I could have done better on some of those but 30 mins passed by pretty quickly. At the end interviewer kept some time for my questions. At beginning I was little nervous and I would say wasn't at my best. If I was to do it again, I'd probably try and not stress out as much to get the best results.

Wish you all the best and hope to read about your experiences now that there is 2 months before we know whats next.

Goodluck!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Folks, Just came back. It was a pretty tough interview for me. I am hoping that the essays offset this not so great interview, time will tell ... Got stumped by the "What would you do if you were CEO of your company?" question. Others were fairly general. I will write in detail tonight after work. The interview was with an adcom lady.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
In addition to the above question, here are the other questions that I was asked:
* Can you walk me through your resume and explain me any career changes / promotions?
* What are your strengths / weaknesses?
* What are your short-term/long-term goals and how will an MBA from Haas help you achieve them?
* What do you do for fun?
* What is the greatest achievement in your career?
* Other than the Berkeley principle which you have touched upon in your application, can you give
me an example of an another one which you live by in your life?
* What do you like about your company(I have been in the same company for a few years now)?
* Questions for me?

So as you can clearly see, for someone who has done his/her homework, the questions would be
pretty easy.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
maalage wrote:
In addition to the above question, here are the other questions that I was asked:
* Can you walk me through your resume and explain me any career changes / promotions?
* What are your strengths / weaknesses?
* What are your short-term/long-term goals and how will an MBA from Haas help you achieve them?
* What do you do for fun?
* What is the greatest achievement in your career?
* Other than the Berkeley principle which you have touched upon in your application, can you give
me an example of an another one which you live by in your life?
* What do you like about your company(I have been in the same company for a few years now)?
* Questions for me?

So as you can clearly see, for someone who has done his/her homework, the questions would be
pretty easy.

Thanks Maalage.

BTW was is it 30 mins? Was it really "blind" interview?

Originally posted by casach on 06 Dec 2013, 20:45.
Last edited by casach on 06 Dec 2013, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
casach wrote:
Thanks Maalage.

BTW was is it exactly 30 mins? Was it really "blind" interview?

Hope they interview 100% of applicants :wink:

Yes, they're blind interviews. All they have is your resume to look at.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[quote="packet82"

Yes, they're blind interviews. All they have is your resume to look at.[/quote]

hmmm.... I have just couple of more weeks to give my gmat. Hope I get good score and then I get the interview invite!!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  28   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts