Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.16
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
Anyone else running into writer's block on the essay? On my third version now, trashed the last two already.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
I don't even know where to begin...

My gut is telling me to just go with a free-flow essay to highlight my personality... I really want to write an essay about how ridiculous most essays are and fill it with loads of humor... but Harvard is Harvard, and I'm afraid to submit something that could be perceived as "goofy"
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
dave785 wrote:
My gut is telling me to just go with a free-flow essay to highlight my personality...

Please don't do this.

There's a chance that someone could pull this off but reading this made us cringe.

From the Harvard essays we're seeing so far, the biggest problem is that it's not clear what the person is trying to say.

dave785, you don't need to tell Harvard Admissions that essays are ridiculous. They just removed the essay requirement completely, they get that! If you really feel that essays are dumb then a way to emphasize that would be to not write one! Instead, if you're going to do one, then use the space to convince them why you belong at Harvard, by offering stuff that's not communicated elsewhere in your app.

We have no problem with funny or showing a sense of humor (though we very rarely see someone pull that off in practice) however the "free flow" thing scares us out of our wits. Your essay must have a point; that's what essays do (good ones, at least!).

Good luck to all on this - it is not a simple exercise.

EssaySnark
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-15-2013
Send PM
dukealum7 wrote:
Anyone else running into writer's block on the essay? On my third version now, trashed the last two already.

I know exactly how you feel - on my 2nd one.. I think the point is to highlight something unique that can add more colour to your package (resume/gmat/recommendations etc.), but also provide even more consistency to your profile.

Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Reapplicant, will also (re)try!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Does anybody know the recommender questions for this year?
Send PM
ohsballer wrote:
Does anybody know the recommender questions for this year?

They're at the bottom of this page - relevant bits here:

Quote:
Recommender Questions
Recommendations must be completed online. The recommendation form includes the following questions, along with other types of questions.

How do the candidate's performance, potential, background, or personal qualities compare to those of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? Please provide specific examples. (300 words)
Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response. (250 words)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
I submitted my Round1-application a couple of weeks ago. According to the HBS website, the status on my GMAT Score Report is "Awaiting". I'm confused by this as the MBA.com website claims that my score was reported to HBS five months ago. Is this normal? Do you think that everything is OK, or is any further action required on my part?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
yoko182 wrote:
I submitted my Round1-application a couple of weeks ago. According to the HBS website, the status on my GMAT Score Report is "Awaiting". I'm confused by this as the MBA.com website claims that my score was reported to HBS five months ago. Is this normal? Do you think that everything is OK, or is any further action required on my part?

Already? Wow.

Typically schools take some time (~2/3 weeks) to put in scores in your application file. Give them some time and you should see the right indicator.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
yoko182 wrote:

Wow. Two months in advance. What if you get a big promotion or cure cancer during the next 2 months?

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
hailmary620 wrote:
yoko182 wrote:

Wow. Two months in advance. What if you get a big promotion or cure cancer during the next 2 months?

Posted from my mobile device

He'll have to send in an awesome update letter ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.7
WE:Other (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
jumsumtak wrote:
yoko182 wrote:

Already? Wow.

Typically schools take some time (~2/3 weeks) to put in scores in your application file. Give them some time and you should see the right indicator.

Heck I was feeling good I had even looked at the application!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V45
GPA: 3.47
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
yoko182 wrote:

That's great, but schools don't even look at applications till after the deadline, so submitting SO early is totally unnecessary. Take a deep breath and take time with your applications, you all have PLENTY of time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Kudos
I have written thousands of words, opened up 5 windows of unsaved work, saved 4 drafts and all of them are WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Ugh.

Can I just say: "Please accept me, I'll be a good student! I PROMISE."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Count me in for R1!
Intern
Intern
Status:"Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever the f**k you were gonna do anyway." - Quite a status, Huh!
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

I had a few questions about an HBS MBA for Indian engineers, do they take only the IITians or do they at least look into others' profile as well? There is a myth(or truth) that HBS, Stanford, MIT etc they r only looking for IITians. How far is this myth/truth true?

Can someone outline the points which are extremely important for HBS (other than GMAT, GPA and Essay of course)..

TIA
Send PM
FinalFurlong wrote:
Hi,

I had a few questions about an HBS MBA for Indian engineers, do they take only the IITians or do they at least look into others' profile as well? There is a myth(or truth) that HBS, Stanford, MIT etc they r only looking for IITians. How far is this myth/truth true?

Can someone outline the points which are extremely important for HBS (other than GMAT, GPA and Essay of course)..

TIA

@FinalFurlong, they definitely take more than just IIT but it certainly helps if you attended a good school. BITS Pilani, BMS in Bangalore, H.R. College of Commerce & Economics, Jawaharlal Nehru Tech U... these are just some schools that have fed to HBS that we know of. So this myth is definitely NOT TRUE.

What needs to come through in everything - including "GMAT, GPA and Essay of course" - is excellence. You need to show how you're ahead of your peers. You need to be a superstar. There's no one way to define this; it's very individual.

And even though we just said that you need to show excellence through "everything", that doesn't mean that everything needs to be perfect. It's very possible to get in to HBS with a low(er) GMAT score or a low(er) GPA. Probably not both. And much more difficult for someone from India, only because there's so many others from your area who are closer to perfect. But it's definitely possible.

That answer probably didn't help much... it's the kind of thing "you know it when you see it." It's the whole package. There's never one element that causes any decision in either direction.

That means, there's hope! And, it means it's very very difficult at the same time.

EssaySnark
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  55   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts