Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 20:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

have many wrong aswers can i afford?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: have many wrong aswers can i afford? [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2011, 05:08
thanks for the suggestions - lets see how I do in 3rd CAT
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.89
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: have many wrong aswers can i afford? [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2011, 23:17
Thanks for the bringing this point.. I always wanted to know this.

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: have many wrong aswers can i afford? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2011, 11:30
Knesl wrote:
Thanks a lot.
I also think that the number of wrong answers, I mentioned, is too high. However, i really got 740 points. It was probably by a coincidence.
Now, I have 16 wrong answer in quantitative part and 12 in verbal and have Q46 V40 (700). (another Manhattan test). I think that it looks more reasonably.

Hi i have my 3 mock test Princeton review CAT1

A shameful 360 Q 22correct /37 and V 14 correct/41

But before that i gave Kaplan CAT 2 Q 13correct/37 and V 14/41 score 460....This is a 100 points difference how is this possible,........

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4452 [0], given: 162

Re: have many wrong aswers can i afford? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 03:22
Expert's post
prateekbhatt wrote:
Knesl wrote:
Thanks a lot.
I also think that the number of wrong answers, I mentioned, is too high. However, i really got 740 points. It was probably by a coincidence.
Now, I have 16 wrong answer in quantitative part and 12 in verbal and have Q46 V40 (700). (another Manhattan test). I think that it looks more reasonably.

Hi i have my 3 mock test Princeton review CAT1

A shameful 360 Q 22correct /37 and V 14 correct/41

But before that i gave Kaplan CAT 2 Q 13correct/37 and V 14/41 score 460....This is a 100 points difference how is this possible,........

Possible explanations:
1. It's not just the number of errors, the score depends a lot on the type of questions that were correct/incorrect.
2. Different test prep institutes have different scoring algorithms (according to their assessment of the GMAT scoring algorithm). The scores received from Princeton are not directly comparable to scores received from Kaplan. Scores of two different tests using the same algorithm are still a little more comparable.

All I would take away from the scores is that I need to hit my basics hard.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 7

Re: have many wrong aswers can i afford? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 09:07
Hey Knesl,

Scores on the GMAT are not based on the percentage of questions answered correctly. Tests you took in school were generally based on percentage of questions correct: the more you got right, the higher the score you received. On the GMAT, most people actually answer similar percentages of questions correctly, typically in the 50% to 70% range (even at high scoring levels).

If test-takers all get a similar percentage correct, how does the GMAT distinguish among different performance
levels? “Regular” school tests gave everyone the same questions and performance was determined based upon percentage correct. On the GMAT, everybody answers different questions, some easier, some harder. You can think of the GMAT as a test that searches for each person’s “60% level,” or the difficulty range in which the person is able to answer approximately 60% of the questions correctly. (This is not exactly what happens, but it’s a good way to think of the difference between “regular” tests and computer-adaptive tests.) Your score will be determined by the difficulty of the questions that you answer correctly versus the difficulty of those that you answer incorrectly.

Best,
Matt Mapplebeck
Student Services Associate
Manhattan GMAT

Matt Mapplebeck | Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)

Re: have many wrong aswers can i afford? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 11:14
Power Prep 1 320 Q22 V11 (01/07/11)
Power Prep 2 500 Q36 V22 (03/08/11)
Kaplan CAT 2 460 Q28 V26 (09/09/11)
PR CAT 1 360 Q32 V09 (11/09/11)
MGMAT CAT 420 Q33 V17 (12/09/11)

I guess it rare to see scores declining like this......I know i need to work in both the sections but majorly in Verbal......Confused where to start ? should i again start reading my basic books.....

I have.....
Princeton review
Kaplan premier
Kaplan 800( havent started yet)
Manhattan SC(started reading)
OG 12 (completed)

Havent Test myself on Gmat prep yet..Guess will write it day after!!!!!

any suggestions on how to improve my scores drastically are welcomed.....

Thanks

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-22-2012
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 256 [1] , given: 217

GMAT Tests User
Re: have many wrong aswers can i afford? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 00:57
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Prateek - Don't worry about your scores for the time being. I have been into this situation and belive me it can really disappointing for anyone after seeing a string of low scores.

Here is what I did to increase my score from 460 to 530 [I am still preparing though]. GMAT is a test which is not all about the prep but also about other factors such as time management skills, your confidence level and of course your prep. I have found the "Confidence Level" the most important factor that can affect the performance on the test.

Now this is what I did to raise my confidence level:

1. Start from Basics. Even if you think that your basics are strong then also I would advise go thorugh the basics. Always remember that unless you answer the easier questions correctly, you will not get questions of higher difficulty and to score higher on GMAT you have to answer the hard questions correctly.
2. Do topic wise prep. Divide both Quant and Verbal Section into sub-sections. For example: Lets say you are doing Quant, so try to do Number properties first and make sure you understand the concept. Utilize GMATClub as much as you can .There are some great people over here who are willing to help as much as you want them to.
3. Use standard material. I think BB has very kindly did an analysis on what material to use. Make sure unless you understand the concept, not to move from that question.
4. Make a study plan and try to stick with that plan. GMAT doesn't need 12 hrs of prep in a day, but make sure you devote deligently 4-5 hours a day if possible.
5. Increasing the score on verbal is difficult than increasing the score on Quant. Please do not take this as a criticism. Score can be increased though, but thorugh very thorough and careful preparation. For example, SC is based on rules, so if you master the rules then you should be fine. The same applies to Question types of CR.

The gist is - DO NOT FEEL DOWN - get on with it with an attitude that this test will not intimidate you this time and you will kill it and you will do fine. Beleive me I may be repeating myself over here, use the experience of people of gmatclub. Its invaluable.

Anything more you want to know please feel to ask. :P

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640
MGMAT 3 ---> 610 :-(

Director
Director

Re: have many wrong aswers can i afford? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 06:39
enigma123 wrote:
Hi Prateek - Don't worry about your scores for the time being. I have been into this situation and belive me it can really disappointing for anyone after seeing a string of low scores.

Here is what I did to increase my score from 460 to 530 [I am still preparing though]. GMAT is a test which is not all about the prep but also about other factors such as time management skills, your confidence level and of course your prep. I have found the "Confidence Level" the most important factor that can affect the performance on the test.

Now this is what I did to raise my confidence level:

1. Start from Basics. Even if you think that your basics are strong then also I would advise go thorugh the basics. Always remember that unless you answer the easier questions correctly, you will not get questions of higher difficulty and to score higher on GMAT you have to answer the hard questions correctly.
2. Do topic wise prep. Divide both Quant and Verbal Section into sub-sections. For example: Lets say you are doing Quant, so try to do Number properties first and make sure you understand the concept. Utilize GMATClub as much as you can .There are some great people over here who are willing to help as much as you want them to.
3. Use standard material. I think BB has very kindly did an analysis on what material to use. Make sure unless you understand the concept, not to move from that question.
4. Make a study plan and try to stick with that plan. GMAT doesn't need 12 hrs of prep in a day, but make sure you devote deligently 4-5 hours a day if possible.
5. Increasing the score on verbal is difficult than increasing the score on Quant. Please do not take this as a criticism. Score can be increased though, but thorugh very thorough and careful preparation. For example, SC is based on rules, so if you master the rules then you should be fine. The same applies to Question types of CR.

The gist is - DO NOT FEEL DOWN - get on with it with an attitude that this test will not intimidate you this time and you will kill it and you will do fine. Beleive me I may be repeating myself over here, use the experience of people of gmatclub. Its invaluable.

Anything more you want to know please feel to ask. :P

Hi Enigma

Thats a very good,motivating and important piece of advice you have given me...Really appreciate your help on this...

Well i have started doing verbal...I guess now i will do it for no less than two weeks before hitting another CAT test....

Also i just have manhattan SC ...Remaining manhattan i have few Ebooks..Which i have'nt read ....

Thanks

More useful links-->

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Re: have many wrong aswers can i afford?   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2011, 06:39