Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a family with 3 children, the parents have agreed to brin

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 21

In a family with 3 children, the parents have agreed to brin [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 13:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

38% (02:44) correct 62% (00:59) wrong based on 86 sessions
In a family with 3 children, the parents have agreed to bring the children to the pet store and allow each child to choose a pet. This pet store sells only dogs, cats, and monkeys. If each child chooses exactly one animal, and if more than one child can choose the same kind of animal, how many different arrangements of animals could the family leave with?

A. 6
B. 8
C. 9
D. 10
E. 12
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 71 [2] , given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Combinatorics [McGraw Hill's GMAT - 2010] [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 15:02
This post received
KUDOS
The question has a catch.. It would seem on the face of it it would be 3 x 3 x3 = 27 arrangements, but what it is asking is how many arrangements the family leaves with.. so that is going to be
Pick all 3 = 1 way
Pick all of a kind = 3 x 1 = 3 ways
Pick 2 of a kind = 3 x 1 x 2 = 6 ways
Total of 10

Consider kudos, they are good for health

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 71 [1] , given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Combinatorics [McGraw Hill's GMAT - 2010] [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 16:09
This post received
KUDOS
I think the best way to approach the problem (or any problem) is to understand the fundamental - if you adopt a nPk or nCk approach it is bound to fail. Notice that I did use the nCk approach. Here is how:
Pick all 3 = Pick one of D C or M = 3C1 = 3
Pick one of each = 1C1 x 1C1 x 1C1 = 1
Pick two of a kind = Pick the kind to repeat x combinations of that kind
= 3C1 x 2C1 (two left after you picked the first) = 6

So 10 again.. I don't think there is one formula here that will get you 10, you will need to add the individual combinations.. Perhaps someone else can comment

Consider kudos, they are good for health

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 1

Re: Combinatorics [McGraw Hill's GMAT - 2010] [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 00:01
This post received
KUDOS
BigBrad wrote:
This is quite an easy question if done manually but I am having difficulty trying to work it out using the combinatorics formula approach ie nCk. It should be so simple but all my calculations keep producing numbers greater than any of the answer choices. Please could someone show me how to solve this using the formula, thanks.

"In a family with 3 children, the parents have agreed to bring the children to the pet store and allow each child to choose a pet. This pet store sells only dogs, cats, and monkeys. If each child chooses exactly one animal, and if more than one child can choose the same kind of animal, how many different arrangements of animals could the family leave with?"

A. 6
B. 8
C. 9
D. 10
E. 12

Question Type: Combination w/ Repetition
Technique: Select and Skip

Picture a basket of dogs, a basket of cats, and a basket of monkeys.
Let:
X mean pick up an animal, and
-> mean skip to the next basket.

In order to get 3 animals, the family will have to perform 5 actions.
For example:
If the family wanted 3 monkeys, their actions would be: -> -> X X X
If they want a dog and 2 monkeys: X -> -> X X
If they want one of each: X -> X -> X

Now the problem has been simplified to:
In how many ways can you arrange the five actions Pick, Pick, Pick, Skip, Skip?

New Question Type: Arrangement (Permutation), No Replacement, Using All Options, Identical Options
Technique: Options! / Identical!

Solution:
5 Options
3 Identical "Picks"
2 Identical "Skips"
5! / (3! * 2!) = 10

ANS: D
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.64

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Combinatorics [McGraw Hill's GMAT - 2010] [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 09:26
This post received
KUDOS
Does my solution make sense?

We have these possibilities:

1) The three children choose three different animals: 3C3 = 1

2) The three children all choose the same type of animal: 3C1 = 3

3) Two of the three children pick the same type of animal whereas one child picks another animal: 3C2*2! = 3*2! = 6

Now, 1+3+6 = 10
Intern
Intern

Re: Combinatorics [McGraw Hill's GMAT - 2010] [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 15:31
Thanks for the explanation Mainhoon, it seems then that this type of question can't actually be solved by any method other than manual brute force i.e. we can't use the nCk combination formula in some way?
Intern
Intern

Re: Combinatorics [McGraw Hill's GMAT - 2010] [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 11:41
Ah excellent Mainhoon, thank you very much :); that is exactly the approach I was trying to figure out. Your nCk explanation is perfect!
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 299 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Combinatorics [McGraw Hill's GMAT - 2010] [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 11:16
mainhoon wrote:
The question has a catch.. It would seem on the face of it it would be 3 x 3 x3 = 27 arrangements, but what it is asking is how many arrangements the family leaves with..

Hi Mainhoon, how could you identify that the question is not asking you the typical combination (in this case: 3x3x3)?, could you provide another example to understand it much better?, how differentiate between these 2 types of problem?

Thanks a lot!

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Combinatorics [McGraw Hill's GMAT - 2010] [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 06:57
The question is asking about different arrangements that the family may walk out with-
we have to choose from 3 different categories of animals and arrange them among 3 children----
ARRANGE is the key word here.

3 ways possible-
1. Each one picks different animal (no. of ways of arranging 3 things all different)
3!=6ways.
2. Each one picks the same-(no. of ways of arranging 3 things all identical)
3!/3!=1
3. 2 same one different-(no. of ways of arranging 3 things, 2 identical)
3!/2!=3
So a total of 6+3+1=10 ways that the family may walk out with......

why not 27?
Let the children be numbered 1 2 and 3. No. of ways to select and arrange from among three category of animals Ds Cs Ms, Each dog, cat and monkey is indistinguishable here.
If each of the animal from among the category were different for ex- d1, d2 d3 then there would have been 27 ways that the family could have walked out with.........

This is what i could make of the question............correct me if wrong,.....
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Combinatorics [McGraw Hill's GMAT - 2010] [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2011, 04:54
excellent analysis puneet.... I got it now.... thanks for explaining in detail.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Combinatorics [McGraw Hill's GMAT - 2010] [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2011, 04:54
excellent analysis puneet.... I got it now.... thanks for explaining in detail.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT Date: 01-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Re: In a family with 3 children, the parents have agreed to brin [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 13:20
Visualize arragements...order doesnt matter here so we just need combos.

DDD,CCC,MMM (all 3)
DDC, DDM, CCM, CCD, MMD, MMC (2 and 1)
D,C,M (only 1 animal each)

= 10 (D)
SVP
SVP
Followers: 197

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In a family with 3 children, the parents have agreed to brin [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2014, 02:12
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: In a family with 3 children, the parents have agreed to brin   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2014, 02:12