Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35495 [283]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [41]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35495 [19]
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [7]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: In his eagerness to find a city worthy of Priam, the German archaeolog [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
generis wrote:
In his eagerness to find a city worthy of Priam, the German archaeologist Schliemann cut through Troy and uncovered a civilization a thousand years older as was the city Homer's heroes knew.

(A) older as was the city Homer's heroes knew

(B) more ancient than the city known to Homer's heroes

(C) older than was the city known to Homer's heroes

(D) more ancient of a city than Homer's heroes knew

(E) older of a city than was the one known to Homer's heroes

Concepts tested here: Comparisons + Idioms

. Terms such as "more" and "less" must have a logical sequence with "than"; in a comparison, "more/less...than" is the idiomatic construction.
. A comparison must always be made between similar elements.

A: This answer choice incorrectly compares the noun “civilization” to the verb phrase “was the city Homer's heroes knew”; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements. Further, Option A incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction “older as”; remember, terms such as "more" and "less" must have a logical sequence with "than"; in a comparison, "more/less...than" is the idiomatic construction.

B: Correct. This answer choice correctly compares the noun “civilization” with the noun “the city”. Further, Option B correctly uses the idiomatic construction “ancient + than”. Additionally, Option B is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

C: This answer choice incorrectly compares the noun “civilization” to the verb phrase “was the city known to Homer's heroes”; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements.

D: This answer choice incorrectly compares the noun “civilization” to the verb phrase “Homer's heroes knew”; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements. Further, Option D uses the needlessly wordy phrase “more ancient of a city”, rendering it awkward and redundant.

E: E. This answer choice incorrectly compares the noun “civilization” to the verb phrase “was the one known to Homer's heroes”; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements. Further, Option E uses the needlessly wordy phrase “older of a city”, rendering it awkward and redundant.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Originally posted by ExpertsGlobal5 on 25 Apr 2022, 02:40.
Last edited by ExpertsGlobal5 on 23 Sep 2022, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
General Discussion
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [19]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: In his eagerness to find a city worthy of Priam, the German archaeolog [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Quote:
In his eagerness to find a city worthy of Priam, the German archaeologist Schliemann cut through Troy and uncovered a civilization a thousand years older as was the city Homer's heroes knew.

Intended meaning:
The sentence presents a few facts.
The German archaeologist Schliemann was eager to find a city worthy of Priam.
He did two things:
  • He cut through Troy
  • He uncovered a civilization a thousand years [u]older than other cities known to Homer's heroes

Quote:
(A) older as was the city Homer's heroes knew.

Incorrect comparision.
We are comparing a civilization which was a thousand years old with
verb = was knew
Also a comparative degree such as more / older is always followed by than.
E.g. Francis has more apples than Rhea. (correct)
Francis has more apples as Rhea (incorrect)

Quote:

Correct, two nouns are compared now: a civilization with a city, which is known to Homer's heroes

Quote:

Same problem of incorrect comparision of noun vs verb as in (A)
Correct usage of than after more.

Quote:

Complete mess. Again the modifier ancient refers back to civilization,
but we need to compare two nouns, not a noun and a verb.

Quote:

Incorrect comparision of verb vs noun
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 201
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q163 V155
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
--- "than" is missing - out

-- words after "than" -- the city (noun)..
check words before "more" --

" uncovered a civilization a thousand years more ancient than the city known to Homer's heroes"
i think -- "years" is a Noun and so the comparison is between "years" and "the city"--- illogical

How do you understand the comparison?
I get these types of questions wrong..

I am not able to understand the comparison in each option..
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [10]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
saurabh9gupta wrote:
--- "than" is missing - out

-- words after "than" -- the city (noun)..
check words before "more" --

" uncovered a civilization a thousand years more ancient than the city known to Homer's heroes"
i think -- "years" is a Noun and so the comparison is between "years" and "the city"--- illogical

How do you understand the comparison?
I get these types of questions wrong..

I am not able to understand the comparison in each option..

Hi there saurabh9gupta here my explanation not sure if it helps :lol:

If you read sentence from the very begining you will see that it starts with noun phrase i guess so :) " city worthy of Priam" I will replace this extract from sentence "the German archaeologist Schliemann" with just "archeologist" see below. to make it shorter. the meaning remians the same.

So the whole meaning of a sentence is that archelogist was looking for a city. So he discovered a civilization more ancient than the city known to Homer's heroes.

As you see civilazation refers back the city

In his eagerness to find a city worthy of Priam,archaeologist cut through Troy and uncovered a civilization a thousand years older as was the city Homer's heroes knew.

(A) older as was the city Homer's heroes knew (this is not a correct idiom ) as you mentined yoyrself older than is correct

(B) more ancient than the city known to Homer's heroes (here we compare "civilization" (noun) to the city )

(C) older than was the city known to Homer's heroes ( here you compare civilization to the verb "was" , and that is not correct , cause after "than" noun should be followed)

(D) more ancient of a city than Homer's heroes knew ( not correct cause comparative adjective "more ancient" should be followed by "than" and not by "of")

(E) older of a city than was the one known to Homer's heroes ( same issue as in D) :)

cheers

:)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [13]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
When it comes to referring to civilizations, or things of historical import, then ancient is the word and not old. We use that word to denote things that we can understand mostly through relics because they are deep in the past.
We mostly refer old to human beings or things which are near our times or stuff of a reasonably comparable timeline. Therefore, I would not say that my President is more ancient than others are unless I mean to ridicule him.
We will conveniently remove choice A, C, and E, for using wrong diction.

(B) more ancient than the city known to Homer's heroes -- wrong comparison here. We are comparing civilization with a city.

(D) more ancient of a city than Homer's heroes knew -- correct choice. ---The possessive 'more ancient of a city' brings out the parallelism of comparison even.

Perhaps we may be tempted to select B as the correct choice as it is more precise than D. However, we must remember that civilization is only an attribute of a city and attributes must be compared with attributes only. Some might say that D is an awkward comparison and so on. But be that as it may.

Incidentally, this question seems to belong to the previous century and is more ancient or older than I imagined. Any reason for unearthing this?

Originally posted by daagh on 08 Nov 2018, 06:35.
Last edited by daagh on 25 Feb 2019, 04:19, edited 3 times in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [1]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Kudos
daagh wrote:
When it comes to referring to civilizations, or things of historical import, then ancient is the word and not old. We use that word to denote things that we can understand mostly through relics because they are deep in the past.
We mostly refer old to human beings or things which are near our times or stuff of a reasonably comparable timeline. Therefore, I would not say that my President is more ancient than others are unless I mean to ridicule him.
We will conveniently remove choice A, C, and E, for using wrong diction.

(B) more ancient than the city known to Homer's heroes -- wrong comparison here. We are comparing civilization with a city.

(D) more ancient of a city than Homer's heroes knew -- correct choice. ---The possessive 'more ancient of a city' brings out the parallelism of comparison even.

Perhaps we may be tempted to select B as the correct choice as it is more precise than D. However, we must remember that civilization is only an attribute of a city and attributes must be compared with attributes only. Some might say that D is an awkward comparison and so on. But be that as it may.

Incidentally, this question seems to belong to the previous century and more ancient or older than I imagined. Any reason for unearthing them?

Oh Hell, i think you can be are right daagh :lol: civilazation more ancient of city hmm

BUT daagh yes we are comparing civilization with city in B, AND by civilization, an ancent city is implied.

For example:

i have been searching for an ancient city since 300 BC :) and finally found a civilization more ancient than i ever expected.

now in the example above by civilazation is implied city. Ancient city = civilization why not ? :grin:
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35495 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 1: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The best/excellent answers get kudos. There may be no best answer, or a few excellent answers!

First, aGordeno , welcome to GMAT Club! :)

Official Explanation
Quote:
Choice A is incorrect. The correct word following the comparative form of an adjective such as older is than, not as.

Because the more ancient civilization continues to be a thousand years more ancient than Troy, it is incorrect to use the past tense was as choices A, C, and E do.

Choices D and E also include an ungrammatical structure that follows the comparative form of an adjective with of

The best answer is B.

This OE is pretty good.

I'll add a few notes because this question is linguistically difficult.

Perhaps you have never read or heard of an ancient Greek writer named Homer who wrote The Iliad, downloadable here.

Perhaps you have never heard of or seen the film titled Troy, described here. (I give the film a thumbs up!)

Who is Priam? Who is Homer? WHAT is this sentence talking about?

For correct analyses that include context, read at dave13 's and adkikani 's answers

For a correct analysis that does not include context quite as specifically as do the answers immediately above, read warrior1991 's answer

I cannot decide whether there is a "best" answer.

There are three excellent answers: dave13 , adkikani, and warrior1991
Kudos to all three.

Nicely done.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8810 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

Choice A is incorrect. The correct word following the comparative form of an adjective such as older is than, not as.

Because the more ancient civilization continues to be a thousand years more ancient than Troy, it is incorrect to use the past tense was as choices A, C, and E do.

Choices D and E also include an ungrammatical structure that follows the comparative form of an adjective with of

The best answer is B.

As per the OE, the reason to eliminate options A, C and E is given as "the more ancient civilization continues to be a thousand years more ancient than Troy". So, it is incorrect to use the past tense.
I agree with that.
But if we ignore the above tense logic issue for the moment, is it okay for an action verb(was in this case) to follow 'than'?

Generally, 'than' is followed by noun? Thus we can discard options in which an action verb follows 'than'?

I know more about Shakespeare than does my highly educated brother. -- 'does' is a helping verb. This statement is okay.

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasKarishma , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyMurray , RonPurewal other experts - please enlighten
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [9]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos