Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 00:36 It is currently 12 May 2024, 00:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [44]
Given Kudos: 39
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32448 [9]
Given Kudos: 301
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15285 [7]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: In Switzerland, one of Europe's smallest nations, amendments to the co [#permalink]
Kudos
asiscool wrote:
In Switzerland, one of Europe's smallest nations, amendments to the constitution can only be initiated after a successful vote on a national referendum. In order to initiate a referendum, a citizen must merely collect 100,000 voters' signatures, in support of a given issue, over a period of 18 months. Clearly, the Swiss government must be spending a lot of time amending the country's constitution.

Which of the following premises, if true, best supports the conclusion above?

A. Swiss citizens initiate many referenda every year.
B. It is easy for a citizen to collect 100,000 signatures for a constitutional amendment within 18 months.
C. The Swiss government spends much more time on constitutional amendments than governments of other countries do.
D. All referenda must be initiated by Swiss citizens over 18 years old.
E. Referenda requiring constitutional amendments are both frequent and popular with Swiss voters.

E.
B is a fact that very remotely weakens the conclusion. C and D are irrelevant. A is close but not specific enough for the given argument. It talks about any referenda, not just the ones involving constitutional ammendment
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [2]
Given Kudos: 136
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: In Switzerland, one of Europe's smallest nations, amendments to the co [#permalink]
Bookmarks
deep14 wrote:
asiscool wrote:
In Switzerland, one of Europe's smallest nations, amendments to the constitution can only be initiated after a successful vote on a national referendum. In order to initiate a referendum, a citizen must merely collect 100,000 voters' signatures, in support of a given issue, over a period of 18 months. Clearly, the Swiss government must be spending a lot of time amending the country's constitution.

B. It is easy for a citizen to collect 100,000 signatures for a constitutional amendment within 18 months.
C. The Swiss government spends much more time on constitutional amendments than governments of other countries do.
E. Referenda requiring constitutional amendments are both frequent and popular with Swiss voters.

E.
B is a fact that very remotely weakens the conclusion. C and D are irrelevant. A is close but not specific enough for the given argument. It talks about any referenda, not just the ones involving constitutional ammendment

Can you please explain why E is correct? How the popularity of referendum is linked to the time?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 33005 [0]
Given Kudos: 4475
Send PM
Top Contributor

No information about and out of scope

No information how and whether it is easy or not. out of scope

What happens in other countries is out of scope

No info about. Moreover, irrelevant

The right choice
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
asiscool wrote:

stumped by the queston..
i selected B .
:(
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 437 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
i chose A first but realized that the choice is blunt and vague as the referenda may or may not have constitutional amendments.
this choice also is not specific as it may be possible that ther is only one constitutional amenedment every 18months as the number of referendas are not specified.
The comparison is out of scope
the age limit is also out of scope
correct answer by elemination
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Hi Expert,

Please explain the cause of rejecting the choice B. I read the existing post but am not convinced with the reason of rejecting choice B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Hi Expert,

Please explain the cause of rejecting the choice B. I read the existing post but am not convinced with the reason of rejecting choice B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
AR15J wrote:
Hi Expert,

I got this question wrong, but I can explain why B is wrong here.

Argument structure is as follows:
In swiss -
1. Constitution can be initiated by referendum.
2. referendum should have--
i - Issue on which referendum is based should be 18 months long.
ii - 100K Signatures.
Conclusion - Swiss takes long time to amend a constitution.

To amend a constitution, time required is - Issue should be 18 months long + time reqd for a citizen to take 100K signatures.

If we say that it is easy to take 100K signatures, time reqd for overall process is likely to decrease. This is opposite of the conclusion.

Later part of option B i.e. for a constitutional amendment within 18 months. is a trap. It uses the phrase mentioned in argument but it is not relating to the argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
" A.Swiss citizens initiate many referenda every year" Now read the first sentence "In Switzerland, one of Europe's smallest nations, amendments to the constitution can only be initiated after a successful vote on a national referendum. In order to initiate a referendum, a citizen must merely collect 100,000 voters' signatures, in support of a given issue, over a period of 18 months..

Referenda cannot be initiated in 12 months.

Can anyone validate my assumption please?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE:Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Send PM
down to option B&E, chose E as the answer , eliminated B because if It is easy for a citizen to collect 100,000 signatures for a constitutional amendment within 18 months, then why would swiss govt. spend a lot time on passing amendment. so does not supports the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
Hi experts,
From this question,there are several steps to establish amendments to the constitution : 1) gather 100,000 signature 2) initiate a national referendum 3)successfully vote to amend the constitution

Option E tells us that Swiss voter are familiar with referenda.Just that,how it can be interpret that the government process will be long?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I was stuck between two answer options Option A and Option E.
Option E is more appropriate as it says "Referenda requiring constitutional amendments are both frequent and popular" . Main point to note is the word Frequent, because if something is happening frequently then more time is spent doing that altogether .

Lets say doing one amendment takes 15 days and in a year if 10 amendments are happening then the today days is 15*10=150 .So for more number of amendments more time will be spent .

Hope I am able to make some point .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
sleepynut wrote:
Hi experts,
From this question,there are several steps to establish amendments to the constitution : 1) gather 100,000 signature 2) initiate a national referendum 3)successfully vote to amend the constitution

Option E tells us that Swiss voter are familiar with referenda.Just that,how it can be interpret that the government process will be long?

That the precedure takes a long time is already given in the passage ("...over a period of 18 months"). In fact this part is the premise of the argument.

Premise: Procedure of amendment takes a long time.
Conclusion: Thus a lot of time is spent for amendment.

The above premise--> concluison would be invalid if there are no (or few) amendment requests - in that case, although it remains true that the procedure takes a long time, actually time would not be spent on the proceudre, because there are no (or few) amendment requests.

Option E is the required assumption that there are in fact many amendment requests, and thus a lot of time is actually required to be spent on amendments.

(Compare with the following:
Premise: I take a long time to read a book.
Conclusion: I soend a long time reading books.

If I do not read books at all, then my argument would be invalid.
Thus,
Assumption: There are quite a few books that I read.)

Is A only wrong because it talks about referenda in general not the ones requiring amendment?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15285 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
goforgmat wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
sleepynut wrote:
Hi experts,

That the precedure takes a long time is already given in the passage ("...over a period of 18 months"). In fact this part is the premise of the argument.

Premise: Procedure of amendment takes a long time.
Conclusion: Thus a lot of time is spent for amendment.

The above premise--> concluison would be invalid if there are no (or few) amendment requests - in that case, although it remains true that the procedure takes a long time, actually time would not be spent on the proceudre, because there are no (or few) amendment requests.

Option E is the required assumption that there are in fact many amendment requests, and thus a lot of time is actually required to be spent on amendments.

(Compare with the following:
Premise: I take a long time to read a book.
Conclusion: I soend a long time reading books.

If I do not read books at all, then my argument would be invalid.
Thus,
Assumption: There are quite a few books that I read.)

Is A only wrong because it talks about referenda in general not the ones requiring amendment?

Yes, your understanding is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Schools: CBS '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
goforgmat wrote:

Yes, your understanding is correct.

Correct me if I'm wrong - I felt that Option A was a weakener as well as an irrelevant option.

The procedure to get signatures takes a long time (18 months). Option A mentions that they don't spend 18 months on every referendum. They have multiple things going on in parallel.

Possible outcomes of "Initiating" multiple referenda each year:
1. They initiate it - but many of them don't really get the 100,000 votes [Says nothing about the time spent - irrelevant]
2. They initiate it - but get the votes within 2 days? Not a lot of time spent, even though they have 18 months [says nothing about the time spent - irrelevant]
3. They do things in parallel - if they are allowed to initiate multiple referenda each year, they don't need to spend 36 months for 2 referenda, they can do it in the same year [weakens - says they spend less time because they can initiate multiple referenda in a year]

This is a trap option - makes you feel that they can do more in less time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 284
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: ISB '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
I'm still unable to comprehend the reasoning behind option E.
Suppose the Swiss citizens initiate 100 referenda each year, a figure that may suggest that referenda's are popular among the citizens. However, it is not certain whether the referenda's would get the requisite number of votes. It is also possible that none of the referenda got the requisite number of votes, and hence no time was spent by the government in amending the Constitution.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Schools: CBS '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
nitesh181989 wrote:
I'm still unable to comprehend the reasoning behind option E.
Suppose the Swiss citizens initiate 100 referenda each year, a figure that may suggest that referenda's are popular among the citizens. However, it is not certain whether the referenda's would get the requisite number of votes. It is also possible that none of the referenda got the requisite number of votes, and hence no time was spent by the government in amending the Constitution.

I re-read the question after your comment, and it looks like "if you get 100,000 votes, you can initiate the referendum". So, the idea of a referendum not getting enough votes is not valid.

So, E says - frequent (many referenda) & popular (that cross 100,000 votes) referenda that require constitutional amendment -> more time.
A refers to those referenda (generic; may include those that do not require amendment)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts