Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:25 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden, Stern, CBS, Johnson, Fuqua
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Investment Banking Recruiting [#permalink]
Great write up and thanks!

I would also be interested in how your career changing counterparts did during the IB recruitment.

IB recruitment does sound tiring though exciting. :lol:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Life After a Bad Bonus: The Next Wall Street Jobs
So WSJ spoke with Gary Goldstein, founder of Wall Street recruiting firm Whitney Partners, to find out where investment bankers can seek their fortunes if they want to stay in the business. Here are three options:

* Capital-markets boutiques
* Advisory boutiques
* Alternative-investment houses

https://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2009/01/29/l ... lenews_wsj

Investment banks 'top for finance IT jobs
According to a new survey, investment banks are the busiest recruiters of IT workers as they go back to the drawing board to address flaws uncovered by the financial downturn.

https://www.jobsnewswire.com/article/inv ... 03153.html
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
dj that was some awesome info. Would you have any further info on recruiting for non-IB functions (e.g. S&T ?)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Great information dj!

Do you feel that Booth and Kellogg students will be more likely to end up in the Chicago office by choice or by force?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:
dj that was some awesome info. Would you have any further info on recruiting for non-IB functions (e.g. S&T ?)

I think kwam and I might be able to put something together on that (me from the sidelines of being on recruiter side at events, he from the heart of the beast). Not wishing to give the game away in two words, but it can be summarized by "not pretty".
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Stern10 wrote:
hi all, I've been lurking on this site for a while and thought I'd shed some light on Stern recruiting for IB this fall.

It was as Audio and DJ described, a blood bath this year. Here are some unofficial numbers from recruiting for offers extended this fall for NY (and last fall for NY for a perspective):

JP Morgan - 7 (12)
Credit Suisse - 6 (10)
Morgan Stanley - 1 (2 or 3)
Goldman Sachs - 3 (4)
Bank of America (Merrill Lynch) - 2 (?)
Barclays - 6 (14 Lehman offers)
UBS - 3 (?)
Citi - 4 (8)

DB decided to pull recruiting from campus. I think this was mainly due to the fact they have such a low presence at Stern (no MBA2) and a few MBA3 (first year bankers).

Merrill was traditionally a huge Stern recruiter as were Lehman and Bear (typically 10 offers each). Bank of America hosted interviews at Stern while Merrill hosted at Columbia which put us at a disadvantage given our Merrill network.

Stern placed about 25 people in NY and another 12 overseas. Last year there were 45 Sternies going to NY BB, don't know about overseas. 100 people started recruting in the fall but that number quickly dropped to 60. Of the people who wanted banking, only about 10 (deserving) people ended up with nothing but still have shots as some smaller boutiques later in the spring.

I ended up at a BB in New York. And like Audio, I had pretty much all the BB as first round interviews but converting those to offers was especially tough this year since the banks expected 80-100% yeild. Networking definitly played a part as I ended up at the bank where I networked the most. All be said, however, networking only gets you so far as each process (corporate presentations, target events, closed list) is totally different.

Also as a side note, a lot of stern IB candidates are career switchers. I think less than a handful of people were prior analyst and only 3 went bank into banking. Just wanted to put that out there since it is a common misconception.

Stern, those figures look all right! Only a 50% decrease (more or less), that's pretty good. Seems also like you guys are going to place most of your people, that's pretty remarkable. No such luck here, although maybe because the guys who got offers already usually had banking experience (80% - 100% yield expectation helped I guess), but those without experience still kept on applying (at least that's my analysis). Weirdly enough that didn't matter at your school, funny that.
Director
Director
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Great stuff guys, please keep it up!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Great information guys.

Good news for career switchers trying to break into IB at NYU.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.64
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Great info everyone, keep'em coming.

My kudos flying everywhere :wink:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
djhouse81 wrote:
lanter1 wrote:
Fellow GMATclubbers,

I wonder how the rest of you aspiring IB professionals are doing in IB recruiting. At Yale, we still have 8 bulge banks coming to campus with 2 middle market and a few small firms. We are hearing they are still hiring about 15 with about 20 to 25 total offers from the class out of 25 interested in Corp Fin (class size only 190). This number seems high considering the market.

How are other members/schools doing?

Lanter,
IB interviews are going on this week. We had a lot of firms on campus, but I'm hearing fewer numbers. Are you sure you're not confusing what they mean by class. 20-25 sounds about right for one bank's class of interns, but that means the class is made up of interns from various schools. At CBS, I think the number of offers that will actually go to CBS students is about 1 for every 10-15 on the closed list. Not a lot, and less than last year.

I meant my specific class at SOM. Our total offers were down over 50% from 2008 recruiting. I didn't receive an offer yet, but I am still actively looking for banks outside of the normal recruiting process.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Are most going for BB or are there a good portion of students interested in boutique firms? From what I have been learning about the differences between the two, boutiques sound more interesting, work wise, and I was wondering if anyone could shed more light why it seems more are interested in BB internship experience?
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I'm going for BB for a few personal reasons. First, I want to work with a lot of people my own age. I have always worked in companies where everyone is much older than me, and it sucks. I'm looking forward to being friends with some of my co-workers. Second, boutique's workflow can be highly dependent on whether or not the MD is successful in bringing interesting assignments, aka is he a 'rainmaker'. BBs in good times tend to get more constant deal flow because they are more of a one stop shop for financing. For instance, if you need to issue some debt to fund an acquisition, the BB can do that and provide M&A advice.

Now, if the opportunity to go to Moelis, Greenhill, or Evercore comes up as the boutique vs. some no name New York boutique, then I would probably go boutique over bulge bracket. Well, I guess that depends on the BB and how much I like the people I was going to work with.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
89nk wrote:
Are most going for BB or are there a good portion of students interested in boutique firms? From what I have been learning about the differences between the two, boutiques sound more interesting, work wise, and I was wondering if anyone could shed more light why it seems more are interested in BB internship experience?

Compared to BBs, internship or work experience at boutique firms will give one more exposure/face time with clients. Since boutique firms tend to be smaller, one might get more meaningful assignment compared to BBs.

In addition, boutique firms are the ones that are hiring right now.

However, BBs have more structured training/entry programs for MBAs whether its summer internship position or post MBA career. Therefore, if you don't have any relevant experience, BBs are better option for you since you will be assigned to a group of about 35 to 40 individuals to begin your training/entry program together.

Boutique firms are more likely to hire MBAs with prior work experience in relevant field.

Thank you for clearing that up. I wanted to make sure I was reading the differences correctly, and was in line with what others were thinking.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
89nk wrote:

Couple of reasons actually. First of all in terms of types of deals you are going to work on, it's going to be larger deals (which I like). The learning process is better too I think: these banks are used to have a lot of new associates to come in and they know how to integrate them fast. You will learn how to execute a deal properly and you'll learn every facet of the job, fast.

I'm not saying that you won't have that kind of experience in a boutique, but there is a chance that they'll not tick all those boxes. Plus, since they have less resources in terms of manpower and access to information (and the deals are typically smaller), you might skip some processes that are important in larger deals.

Finally, to be very pragmatic, BB looks better on your CV too.

I think it makes a lot of sense to go from BB to boutique, but I would defo start in a BB for the reasons stated above - if you have the choice that is, which does not seem to be the case nowadays. Making the move in the other direction is definitively tougher.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Audio wrote:
Plus, since they have less resources in terms of manpower and access to information (and the deals are typically smaller), you might skip some processes that are important in larger deals.

Most boutiques specialize in specific areas. It's not a full bank with all the services like Audio mentioned. For example, if a firm hires a boutique to carry out an IPO (let's use Lazard as example), the firm might not be able to distribute or sell all the shares by themselves. They bring in a second bank to help them out as secondary underwriter while the first firm stays on as lead underwriter.

Other services that BBs might offer to boutiques might be back office operations/clearance. Smaller firms might outsource this function to bigger banks where they can do this cheaper and have seasoned veterans with experience.
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
For example, if a firm hires a boutique to carry out an IPO (let's use Lazard as example), the firm might not be able to distribute or sell all the shares by themselves. They bring in a second bank to help them out as secondary underwriter while the first firm stays on as lead underwriter.

Just to be clear, almost no bank will take on an IPO by themselves (there may be exceptions for small IPOs that I am unaware of). The number of firms can range from 2-25+ depending on the size. Most likely it will be 3-10 with one or two acting as lead underwriters. However, in Visa's offering, which I believe is still the largest in US history, there were 37 underwriters. Goldman and JP Morgan were the Co-leads with JP Morgan taking the coveted left hand spot on the S-1 document. Where the difference in boutiques and BBs come in with capital raising is the salesforce. BB firms will have much larger salesforces, and subsequently many more institutional investors to sell the shares of an IPO. Therefore, when it comes to working at BBs, one other advantage would be that you'll see a much greater range of assignments, and thus gain experience in more areas. You might raise debt, raise equity, work on recaps, restructures, M&A, or anything else a client wants to do.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business