Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 13:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ISB vs Kellogg

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '15 (A)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

ISB vs Kellogg [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 20:05
Hey All,

My first post to GMAT club after following it for more than a year. Guys I have been thinking of posting this for quite some time as of now but was abstaining from doing so thinking that it has to be a personal call. But since my state of indecision seems to only get prolonged, I thought of reaching out to you all smart and wonderful people for your words of wisdom. Please pardon me if you find this post against the spirit of this group but my intent is to solicit varied opinions from people with similar interests.

So the matter is that I have an admit from both ISB ( Mohali) and Kellogg School of Management ( 2 year Program) and I am unable to make the pick. I will be a first timer to states and hence not sure ( or indeed am nervous) about life in US. I am a 2009 IIT Kanpur graduate with an experience in real estate ( with JLL) and is looking forward to an industry change through MBA ( inclined towards Consulting / General management roles). Cost of attendance / ROI is important to me but does not govern my decision. My priority is to be based in India in the long run and hence would prefer to return to India at the earliest ( once I am able to complete all my debt liabilities) even if I go for a US MBA. I am married and my wife ( herself an MBA) will accompany me if I go to US. All I am looking forward to through MBA program is a quality and holistic learning, great networking, a strong brand recognition ( at least in India) and career opportunities / progression with an eye on India in mid/long run. Would really appreciate any possible insights from you all. You are encouraged to be critical and blunt if you find too many gaps in my thoughts.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2243

Kudos [?]: 8463 [0], given: 3648

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: ISB vs Kellogg [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 23:01
Expert's post
From what i am reading and understand from ISB reputation, you may be better off at ISB. Isn't ISB the Harvard of India? And since you want to stay/continue in India the most value will be from a local school with fantastic reputation where employers come on campus to grab students?

Kellogg has no employment guarantee and H1B work permit will be a hurdle in recruiting. Yes, getting a degree in the US will add more value to your Indian employers, but it will cost more and be filled with a lot more hurdles, adjustment, and hard work. Your wife will be bored stuck at home - a consideration ;-)

P.S. It takes time to pay off debt. I would say you will not be able to pay off more than $35K per year even with a $120K salary. If you borrow $140 - that's 5 years (including interest). Are you prepared to spend 5 years in the US paying back your loan? You would have been gone from India for 7. All your friends, connections, and family would be in the US. Your India contacts would be as cold as Lake Michigan in February. Kids would be going to a US school. You will be 3 years away from US citizenship. You won't be able to leave :-)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: ISB vs Kellogg [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2014, 16:36
bb wrote:
From what i am reading and understand from ISB reputation, you may be better off at ISB. Isn't ISB the Harvard of India? And since you want to stay/continue in India the most value will be from a local school with fantastic reputation where employers come on campus to grab students?

Kellogg has no employment guarantee and H1B work permit will be a hurdle in recruiting. Yes, getting a degree in the US will add more value to your Indian employers, but it will cost more and be filled with a lot more hurdles, adjustment, and hard work. Your wife will be bored stuck at home - a consideration ;-)

P.S. It takes time to pay off debt. I would say you will not be able to pay off more than $35K per year even with a $120K salary. If you borrow $140 - that's 5 years (including interest). Are you prepared to spend 5 years in the US paying back your loan? You would have been gone from India for 7. All your friends, connections, and family would be in the US. Your India contacts would be as cold as Lake Michigan in February. Kids would be going to a US school. You will be 3 years away from US citizenship. You won't be able to leave :-)

Agreed! Considering visa hassles, your wife will not get any employment in the US and her MBA will be a complete waste! She will be frustrated and bored sitting at home. Might even lead to family tensions...

The H1B situation is becoming worse by the year - last year, USCIS had to conduct a lottery even for the 20k visas for graduate degree holders. You might work for a year in the US on OPT, after that your fate will be dependent on a lottery system in which an MBA from a 100-ranked school might get through, but a Harvard or a Kellogg MBA might just fail! :( :shock:
Re: ISB vs Kellogg   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2014, 16:36