Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Joseph: Health insurance premiums are growing at an alarming

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2618 [2] , given: 696

Joseph: Health insurance premiums are growing at an alarming [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 04:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (02:24) correct 54% (01:30) wrong based on 187 sessions
Joseph: Health insurance premiums are growing at an alarming rate. This is, in part, because many hospitals bill for unnecessary diagnostics and tests that inflate the subsequent amount that insurers pay out to them. These expenses are then passed on to consumers in the form of increased insurance premiums. Therefore, reducing the number of unnecessary tests performed by health care providers will be effective in controlling growing health insurance premiums.

Which of the following is an assumption required by the argument?

A. Doctors are generally able to determine, with great reliability, which diagnostic procedures and tests would yield the most effective results
B. Tests and diagnostic procedures do not make up an insignificant portion of the bills that are sent to insurers
C. Insurance companies in other industries, such as auto and home, have been able to reduce costs by reducing the number of unnecessary repairs and replacements on claims for automobiles and homes
D. Patients are not just as likely as doctors to choose the most expensive diagnostics and tests.
E. Health insurance premiums have increased twice as fast in the past five years than they have over an average of the past 25 years.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 28

Re: Joseph: Health insurance premiums are growing at an alarming [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 04:47
Ans is B in my opinion

Let's analyze:
Option a is out of scope.

Option b- if we read line 2 carefully we csn find the wording 'in part'. So, by this, there are other causes for the premium to increase. And option b resolves this issue by stating that the diagnostic tests are NOT INSIGNIFICANT in other words IS SIGNIFICANT.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 21

Re: Joseph: Health insurance premiums are growing at an alarming [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 17:52
Premise 1-Providers are billing insurers for unnecessary tests.

Premise 2-Insurers are passing on these costs to policyholders.

Conclusion-Stop paying for these tests >>> healthcare costs go down

Assumption>>>These have a impact on the cost of healthcare.

Choice "A": the cost of those tests is significant.

Seems to fit my reasoning. Any thoughts?
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1154

Kudos [?]: 5369 [2] , given: 165

Re: Joseph: Health insurance premiums are growing at an alarming [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 18:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
jgomey wrote:
Premise 1-Providers are billing insurers for unnecessary tests.

Premise 2-Insurers are passing on these costs to policyholders.

Conclusion-Stop paying for these tests >>> healthcare costs go down

Assumption>>>These have a impact on the cost of healthcare.

Choice "A": the cost of those tests is significant.

Seems to fit my reasoning. Any thoughts?

Let me point out one thing here - the conclusion is:

Reducing unnecessary tests will control growing costs i.e. the costs will not grow so much. The conclusion is not that the costs will go down.
The assumption certainly is that the cost of unnecessary tests have an impact on the cost of insurance premiums i.e. the cost of unnecessary tests is significant. So you are right there.

The only other option where there could be a confusion is "A. Doctors are generally able to determine, with great reliability, which diagnostic procedures and tests would yield the most effective results"
i.e. the doctors can figure out which tests are 'worth it' and which are not.
It certainly seems like an assumption - if someone tells us that the insurance costs are shooting up so reduce unnecessary tests to reduce the growing costs, we might be tempted to say, 'But you are assuming that it is possible to say which tests are necessary and which are not.' but in CR, it is not a valid assumption.

If our conclusion is of the form: 'A will lead to B', we need to analyze only whether A will lead to B. Whether A is possible or not is out of our scope. The point is 'if A DOES happen, can B happen?'

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

SVP
SVP
Followers: 277

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Joseph: Health insurance premiums are growing at an alarming [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 11:20
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Joseph: Health insurance premiums are growing at an alarming   [#permalink] 06 Feb 2014, 11:20