Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [60]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [2]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [12]
Given Kudos: 176
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Re: Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and it i [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Aksh19 wrote:
OA should be D.
The problem refers to the lack of fresh water in the outposts. The structuring of option E is very awkward.

Something I learnt recently and it might help. Have a look at this difference between Appositive and Absolute phrases.
Best explained in this post by Kevin from Magoosh

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2015/gmat-tuesd ... e-phrases/

Applying that here

Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and it is expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.

(A) Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and it is expected to continue until reinforcements arrive. E is more concise
(B) Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, which was expected to continue until reinforcements arrive. which is incorrectly modifying 'outposts'
(C) Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and they are expected to continue until reinforcements arrive. they is an incorrect pronoun used here
(D) The outposts lack fresh water, a problem that is expected to continue until reinforcements arrive. Modifiers modify the immediate preceding noun. Here it is fresh water. And hence an incorrect modifier reference
(E) The outposts have a lack of fresh water, a problem expected to continue until reinforcements arrive. An Absolute phrase here. Modifying the entire statement before it.

Hope this helps. Please correct me in case I'm wrong.

Originally posted by hdwnkr on 18 Nov 2015, 23:51.
Last edited by hdwnkr on 20 Nov 2015, 03:25, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Re: Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and it i [#permalink]
Kudos
Dear All,

Even I went for D but found it strange that E was OA
this is the explanation provided
"(A) The pronoun it has an unclear antecedent
(B) The pronoun which has an unclear antecedent
(C) The plural pronoun they could only refer to outposts, which implies that the outposts are expected to continue rather than the problem
(D) A problem incorrectly refers to fresh water ; it is the lack of fresh water that is the problem
(E) Correct. A problem correct refers to a lack of fresh water; the sentence is concise and correct. It is not necessary to use that, as in choice D. The correct answer is E"

Experts please help us as explanation given doesn't make it clear why E is better choice than D

This question is of Gmat Club Test V08-01
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
The answer is clearly either D or E. I can hardly see the difference between the two.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
kanigmat011 wrote:
Dear All,

(C) The plural pronoun they could only refer to outposts, which implies that the outposts are expected to continue rather than the problem
(D) A problem incorrectly refers to fresh water ; it is the lack of fresh water that is the problem
(E) Correct. A problem correct refers to a lack of fresh water; the sentence is concise and correct. It is not necessary to use that, as in choice D. The correct answer is E"

Experts please help us as explanation given doesn't make it clear why E is better choice than D

the EXPLANATION is NOT CORRECT !!
in a construction such as CLAUSE+ COMMA + ABSTRACT NOUN + MODIFIER------> The "ABSTRACT NOUN" refers to the previous clause and NOT TO SOME SPECIFIC NOUN !!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
aditya8062 wrote:
kanigmat011 wrote:
Dear All,

the EXPLANATION is NOT CORRECT !!
in a construction such as CLAUSE+ COMMA + ABSTRACT NOUN + MODIFIER------> The "ABSTRACT NOUN" refers to the previous clause and NOT TO SOME SPECIFIC NOUN !!

Not an expert but I am confident of my explanation

D) The outposts lack fresh water, a problem that is expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.

Modifiers modify the immediate preceding noun. The outposts (noun phrase) lack (verb) fresh water (noun), a problem(modifier that refers to what is immediately before it)..... Fresh water is not a problem Lack of it is. Hence, D is incorrect

(E) The outposts have a lack of fresh water, a problem expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.

An Absolute phrase here. Modifying the entire statement before it. Hence, E is correct

In my reply above, I have put a link explaining appositive and absolute phrases. That might help!

Hope this helps! Please let me know whether I'm wrong.

Originally posted by hdwnkr on 20 Nov 2015, 02:14.
Last edited by hdwnkr on 20 Nov 2015, 03:24, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
Modifiers modify the immediate preceding noun. The outposts (noun phrase) lack (verb) fresh water (noun), a problem(modifier that refers to what is immediately before it)..... Fresh water is not a problem Lack of it is. Hence, D is incorrect

This is not correct!! in fact you need to check the DISTINCTION between "CLAUSE+COMMA+ABSTRACT NOUN+MODIFIER" construction AND "CLAUSE+COMMA+CONCRETE NOUN+MODIFIER" construction.

ALSO note that in both D and E "a problem" is an ABSTRACTION so there is no distinction as drawn by you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [0]
Send PM
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:

This is not correct!! in fact you need to check the DISTINCTION between "CLAUSE+COMMA+ABSTRACT NOUN+MODIFIER" construction AND "CLAUSE+COMMA+CONCRETE NOUN+MODIFIER" construction.

ALSO note that in both D and E "a problem" is an ABSTRACTION so there is no distinction as drawn by you.

Can you please explain the distinction between the CLAUSE+COMMA+ABSTRACT NOUN+MODIFIER" construction AND "CLAUSE+COMMA+CONCRETE NOUN+MODIFIER" construction? I couldn't find a promising explanation.

And, I hope you know what CAPS LOCK in written language means! With all due respect Mr Director, you might want to tone down a bit buddy..

Originally posted by hdwnkr on 20 Nov 2015, 02:58.
Last edited by hdwnkr on 20 Nov 2015, 03:02, edited 2 times in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
Can you please explain the distinction between the CLAUSE+COMMA+ABSTRACT NOUN+MODIFIER" construction AND "CLAUSE+COMMA+CONCRETE NOUN+MODIFIER" construction. Couldn't find a promising explanation?

CLAUSE+COMMA+ABSTRACT NOUN+MODIFIER------>in this construction the "ABSTRACTION" can refer to complete clause that comes before the COMMA

CLAUSE+COMMA+CONCRETE NOUN+MODIFIER------>in this construction "CONCRETE" noun refers to the NOUN that comes BEFORE COMMA

Quote:
And, I hope you know what CAPS LOCK in written language means! With all due respect Mr Director, you might want to tone down a bit buddy..

you got me wrong again. i have put those CONSTRUCTIONS in caps just to HIGHLIGHT else those construction will get mixed up in text. it was not to offend you
hope this clears up.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [1]
Send PM