GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 02:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and it i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and it i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2015, 06:11
Quote:
Kyle Widdison wrote: An absolute phrase is typically formed with a noun + participle and contains no tensed verbs. You can see that option E does have an absolute phrase (noun + participle) but D is not (contains a tensed verb).

(D) The outposts lack fresh water, a problem that IS expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
(E) The outposts have a lack of fresh water, a problem EXPECTED to continue until reinforcements arrive.

with all due respect to you , i want to point that Ron has given the following example of absolute phrase and this example is just on the line on D
Ron's EXAMPLE: the coach tried to put 5 receivers on the line, a stratergy that failed ------>here also we have "THAT FAILED" .
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Re: Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and it i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2015, 07:31
Do not over-complicate it. In D, “problem” refers to “fresh water”, but that is not the problem. The problem is the lack of fresh water – this is clear in E.

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2016, 15:54
The reason given for option 'B' is wrong. Which has a clear antecedent 'ongoing problem'. The problem is the usage of tense here and not the modifier. Present tense should be used here
Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2016, 06:59
Is it ok to use "a" lack of fresh water as in option E?

why can't it refer back to problem in A?
Ask GMAT Experts Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2016, 10:07
I feel that D must be the answer since E is wordy - 'outposts have a lack of fresh water'

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 560 Q47 V21
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2016, 17:32
OFFICIAL EXAMPLE: OG 12#118 (with correct answer choice C)

The world wildlife fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon most scientsts agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels, will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the enviroment in ways harmful to their habitats.

a) A phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels,
b) a phenomenon most scientists agree that is caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,
c) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels
d) which most scientists agree on as phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels,
e) which most scientsts agree to be a phenomenon caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings

Why option D is incorrect in qus" Lack of Fresh water" while said qus is on same ground

Consider giving Kudos, if you find worth it :) !!

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Nonprofit, Finance

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 04:26
D vs E.

D changes the meaning as it says "the outposts lack fresh water" - it means no fresh water, then what's the problem stated earlier?
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 14:14
kanigmat011 wrote:
Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and it is expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
(A) Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and it is expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
(B) Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, which was expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
(C) Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and they are expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
(D) The outposts lack fresh water, a problem that is expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
(E) The outposts have a lack of fresh water, a problem expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.

MartyMurray , sayantanc2k , daagh

There is some confusion between D and E. From the previous posts, it seems that the concept of absolute phrase vs appositive is being tested. D is being eliminated on the grounds that in D fresh water is being modified instead of entire clause(as required). My doubt is that why can't the modifier "a problem that is expected to......." (which is by the way a noun+noun modifier modify the preceding clause? Why is it rendered an appositive?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 17:05
Prateek176 wrote:
kanigmat011 wrote:
Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and it is expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
(A) Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and it is expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
(B) Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, which was expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
(C) Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and they are expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
(D) The outposts lack fresh water, a problem that is expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
(E) The outposts have a lack of fresh water, a problem expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.

MartyMurray , sayantanc2k , daagh

There is some confusion between D and E. From the previous posts, it seems that the concept of absolute phrase vs appositive is being tested. D is being eliminated on the grounds that in D fresh water is being modified instead of entire clause(as required). My doubt is that why can't the modifier "a problem that is expected to......." (which is by the way a noun+noun modifier modify the preceding clause? Why is it rendered an appositive?

"a problem that is expected to continue until reinforcements arrive" in D and "a problem expected to continue until reinforcements arrive" in E are virtually identical, in that they use essentially the same components, a noun followed by a modifier modifying that noun. So, basically, we can't really differentiate between D and E based on what follows the comma in each, though what follows the comma in E is slightly more concise than what follows the comma in D.

So, let's see whether we can differentiate D from E by considering what precedes the comma in each.

In D, "The outposts lack fresh water" more concisely and clearly conveys a meaning than does "The outposts have a lack of fresh water" in E.

That difference in conciseness and clarity is the only clear difference between choice D and choice E.

The idea that what appears after the comma in D modifies "water," while what appears after the comma in choice E modifies the entire clause does not really make sense. In considering either D or E, we could argue that what follows the comma modifies the noun that precedes the comma or that what follows the comma modifies the entire clause that precedes the comma.

If we were to choose to argue that what follows the comma modifies the noun that precedes the comma, then, yes, the version created via the use of E would make more sense, as what follows the comma more logically modifies "a lack of water" than "water."

However, given the context, we could argue that what follows the comma, in both cases, modifies the preceding clause, in which case, the construction of the main clause is what matters for differentiating the two versions.

I prefer the latter interpretation, as context dictates that, in choice D, the modifier that follows the comma does not modify "water" but rather modifies the entire preceding clause. So, probably, D is the better choice.

Here is an official SC question in which the correct version ends with a modifier that works in a way similar to the way in which the modifier in D works. Notice, only context dictates that the closing modifier modifies the entire clause rather than the noun that precedes the comma. https://gmatclub.com/forum/women-are-ex ... 82261.html

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
http://infinitemindprep.com

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 16:23

"a problem" is a prefect example of a noun modifier modifying the preceding clause .... don;t understand why some ppl think it's incorrect

no one has a convincing answer
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and it i &nbs [#permalink] 12 Sep 2018, 16:23

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and it i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap