It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 20:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V08-01

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18006 [0], given: 1988

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V08-01 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 07:26
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (00:33) correct 53% (00:31) wrong based on 161 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and it is expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.

A. Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and it is expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
B. Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, which was expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
C. Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and they are expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
D. The outposts lacked fresh water, this problem is expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
E. The outposts have a lack of fresh water, a problem expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V08-01 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 07:26
Official Solution:

Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and it is expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.

A. Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and it is expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
B. Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, which was expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
C. Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and they are expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
D. The outposts lacked fresh water, this problem is expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
E. The outposts have a lack of fresh water, a problem expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.

(A) The pronoun it has an unclear antecedent (B) The pronoun which has an unclear antecedent (C) The plural pronoun they could only refer to outposts, which implies that the outposts are expected to continue rather than the problem (D) Run-on sentence. Two independent clauses cannot be joined using a comma only. (E) Correct. "A problem" correctly refers to a lack of fresh water at the outposts; the sentence is concise and correct. It is not necessary to use that, as in choice D.

Answer: E

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 70

GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Re: V08-01 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2015, 23:07
B/w D and E,

I thought D is more concise and meaning is clear.

The outposts lack fresh water => This is a problem.

Why does solution say that problem is fresh water. I think meaning is clear.

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 70

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 0

WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 09:57
This post received
KUDOS
I think this is a poor-quality question. In Option D , " a problem " is modifying an entire clause " The Outposts lack fresh water " Whats wrong in that ?

In E , The outposts have a lack of fresh water ......... Why we need " have " ... Its like .... Only "Lack" completes the sentence ..Why we need " Have a lack"

Can anyone explain this ?

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 29

WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2015, 23:06
Hi souvik101990

I'm not sure if i understand correctly, why E is right and D is wrong. Could you please elaborate what is the problem with D ?

Cheers
Aurion

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 29

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2015, 10:13
I think this is a high-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. The correct answer should be (D)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 382

Schools: Smeal '17

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2015, 10:55
This post received
KUDOS
Another poor quality question. While GMAT CLUB quant test questions are worth every penny, I am not sure whether the same can be said for verbal test questions.

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 382

Board of Directors
P

Kudos [?]: 446 [0], given: 206

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2015, 16:48
souvik101990, I disagree with your explanation. D is far the best answer choice.
We have noun+noun modifier. A noun+noun modifier is a very versatile and flexible modifier, and it can modify a noun from the preceding clause, the whole clause, or even an action from the preceding clause.

D. The outposts lack fresh water, a problem that is expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
The outposts lack fresh water - this is a problem, the whole action is a problem. Noun+noun modifier is correctly used to modify the action of "lacking water".

Kudos [?]: 446 [0], given: 206

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 72

GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Real Estate (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 03:24
Yep poor quality: the noun + noun modifier, a problem that is modifying the entire clause, so D is also correct.

New Application Tracker : update your school profiles instantly!

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 72

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2016, 04:23
I think this the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Its been a day i bought this package from gmatclub. Given an option i would want a refund. I have not used the set yet. OA and questions are not good.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3620 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2016, 08:57
rpriya wrote:
I think this the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Its been a day i bought this package from gmatclub. Given an option i would want a refund. I have not used the set yet. OA and questions are not good.

The options D and E both are grammatically correct. These options uses "absolute phrase"modifier, which has the following structure:
Noun + noun modifier

An absolute phrase refers to an entire clause, either preceding it or following it.

Here,

noun = problem
modifier = option D. that is expected to continue until reinforcements arrive / option E.expected to continue until reinforcements arrive

We are in the process of revising the question.

In case you do not agree with any OA or OE, please free to comment and in case you need urgent response / explanation, feel free to send a message to me with a link to your post / query. Nonetheless it would be easier to explain if you could specify which point you do not agree with or need explanation for.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 101

GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2016, 04:59
sayantanc2k wrote:
rpriya wrote:

The options D and E both are grammatically correct. These options uses "absolute phrase"modifier, which has the following structure:
Noun + noun modifier

An absolute phrase refers to an entire clause, either preceding it or following it.

Here,

noun = problem
modifier = option D. that is expected to continue until reinforcements arrive / option E.expected to continue until reinforcements arrive

In case you do not agree with any OA or OE, please free to comment and in case you need urgent response / explanation, feel free to send a message to me with a link to your post / query. Nonetheless it would be easier to explain if you could specify which point you do not agree with or need explanation for.

Completely messed up on this one. I marked option A. I thought "it" refers to problem ? Besides the phrase "have a lack of fresh water" seems a little absurd. sayantanc2k , can you please help me with this ?

" The few , the fearless "

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 101

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2016, 12:49
spetznaz wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
rpriya wrote:

Noun + noun modifier

Here,

noun = problem

Completely messed up on this one. I marked option A. I thought "it" refers to problem ? Besides the phrase "have a lack of fresh water" seems a little absurd. sayantanc2k , can you please help me with this ?

If a pronoun is subject of a clause and has two possible antecedents in the sentence, one of them subject of another clause in the sentence, then the pronoun would refer to the subject antecedent by virtue of parallelism.

Option A:
Pronoun: "it" - subject of a clause
Two possible antecedents" "lack", "problem"
Antecedent "lack" - subject of another clause.
Hence "it" refers to "lack", not "problem".
This reference is wrong since "it" should actually refer to "problem".

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 110

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2016, 01:22
This post received
KUDOS
Agreed poorly constructed problem
In A "it" refers to problem , no?

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 110

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 53

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2016, 01:27
sayantanc2k, why do you think that "it" can refer to water? Referral should be logical, the only antecedent that makes logical sense for "it" is "problem". Otherwise there would be "water is expected to continue", which is illogical.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2016, 11:24
manlog wrote:
sayantanc2k, why do you think that "it" can refer to water? Referral should be logical, the only antecedent that makes logical sense for "it" is "problem". Otherwise there would be "water is expected to continue", which is illogical.

Please refer to the post above:
v08-202564.html#p1698625

I would like to elaborate further on this explanation. The pronoun "it" has 3 possible antecedents: "lack", "water" and "problem". Such usage is NOT considered ambiguous because by virtue of parallelism the pronoun "it", which is the subject of a clause, refers to "lack", which is the subject of another clause - such usages have been accepted in GMAT. Nonetheless here this reference is wrong since the intended meaning is that "problem" is expected to continue, and "it" should refer to "problem", not "lack".

Manager
Manager
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2016, 11:38
sayantanc2k wrote:
manlog wrote:

v08-202564.html#p1698625

I would like to elaborate further on this explanation. The pronoun "it" has 3 possible antecedents: "lack", "water" and "problem". Such usage is NOT considered ambiguous because by virtue of parallelism the pronoun "it", which is the subject of a clause, refers to "lack", which is the subject of another clause - such usages have been accepted in GMAT. Nonetheless here this reference is wrong since the intended meaning is that "problem" is expected to continue, and "it" should refer to "problem", not "lack".

Now I see, thanks. But why do you think that "it" should refer to "problem"? Maybe it's a stupid claim, but why can't it be that "lack is expected to continue"? The original sentence doesn't give any clue on that. Moreover, if we use the original meaning, then "it" refers to lack and we have to use it as a guidance for the intended logical meaning.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2016, 06:27
i think option E is correct but the above explanation is not satisfactory. Here the problem is "lack of fresh water", not "outposts lacked fresh water".the noun modifier "a problem" correctly modifies the preceding noun "a lack".

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2016, 06:41
manlog wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
manlog wrote:

v08-202564.html#p1698625

Now I see, thanks. But why do you think that "it" should refer to "problem"? Maybe it's a stupid claim, but why can't it be that "lack is expected to continue"? The original sentence doesn't give any clue on that. Moreover, if we use the original meaning, then "it" refers to lack and we have to use it as a guidance for the intended logical meaning.

The usage "The lack continued for 7 days" is awkward. The word "deficiency" could be used instead.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2016, 06:51
mrinmoyc987 wrote:
i think option E is correct but the above explanation is not satisfactory. Here the problem is "lack of fresh water", not "outposts lacked fresh water".the noun modifier "a problem" correctly modifies the preceding noun "a lack".

Please take a look at the revised explanation.

Re: V08-01   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2016, 06:51

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 38 posts ] 

V08-01

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap