Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 711 [2]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 711 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.75
WE:Corporate Finance (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Loan for international student on h1b with no co-signer [#permalink]
siddhans wrote:
siddhans wrote:
What is the best place to apply for loan for MBA Part time program if you are on h1b if you do not have a us citizen co-signer?

Anyone??
siddhans wrote:
siddhans wrote:
What is the best place to apply for loan for MBA Part time program if you are on h1b if you do not have a us citizen co-signer?

Anyone??
siddhans wrote:
siddhans wrote:

Anyone??

Hi did you every get a reply to that question of yours. How did you manage the loan?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V48
GPA: 3.23
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Curious about this as well. I'm on H-1b now but expect to switch to F-1 for school. Duke offers 8.25% rate for internationals without co-signer, but I wonder if it's possible to get better rates elsewhere.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [3]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I "cant" say whether these are "the" best options, but I chose between

International Loans offered by Quorum, Chase, Citi, and SallieMae

All have their benefits

Quorum

Offers .50% rate reduction with US co-signer.
Offers .25% auto payment discount rate reduction.
Rate Floor 7% (interest rate)
Ceiling Rate 18%

However, I am assuming one needs to be eligible for quorum, i.e. university should have an arrangement with quorum.

The one thing I would advise is choose a loan program which allows you to repay after you find a job.

Quorum has a 6 month grace period after your graduation date, so you wont have to pay interest until after 6 months.

Regardless of all these loans, I would advice you NOT to go for high loans. If you can pay from your pocket, that's great or if you get a scholarship from abc university it is much better than going to top xyz university if you have to take a HUGE loan. That is just my opinion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 02-18-2012
Send PM
BlueRobin wrote:

Regardless of all these loans, I would advice you NOT to go for high loans. If you can pay from your pocket, that's great or if you get a scholarship from abc university it is much better than going to top xyz university if you have to take a HUGE loan. That is just my opinion.

what makes you say that ? The career prospects from a brand name MBA more than makes up for the higher tuition costs ? Or atleast thats what i thought ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [6]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
Bookmarks
saw this page .. hope it helps.. source :https://www.mbacrystalball.com/blog/2013/02/18/non-cosigner-student-loans-mba/

Non cosigner students loans for international MBA

Written by Sameer Kamat
Post-recession, there has been a general perception that financial aid for international students, especially securing a non cosigner student loan (i.e an education loan that does not require a U.S. cosigner) is difficult to obtain. It is true that the economic slowdown coupled with the increase in the number of defaulters have been the contributing factors causing many credit lenders to withdraw their student loan programs without a U.S. co-signer.

However the good news is that in spite of this, the MBA loan scenario is not that bleak as there are a good number of colleges offering student loans without a U.S. co-signer. Here’s a list to get you started.

Non Cosigner Student loans for MBA

1. Johnson at Cornell University in partnership with QUORUM Federal Credit Union offers no co-signer loans to students enrolled in full-time two year MBA as well as the accelerated MBA program. The loan amount would cover the cost of tuition after deduction of scholarship amount if any.

2. The NYU Stern School of Business in association with The First Marblehead Corporation and Union Federal Savings Bank provide a no co-signer loan to eligible international candidates.

3. Duke Fuqua School of Business offers a no co-signer loan through Coastal Federal Credit Union with the current rate being 8.25%.

4. Haas School of Business provides loan assistance through the Eli Lilly Credit Union to international students without a U.S. co-signer.

5. At Wharton, students can take a loan to cover up to 80% of the total student budget which includes tuition and living expense. Wharton in collaboration with Quorum Federal Credit Union would be offering this no co-signer loan to international candidates starting in the fall 2013 semester.

6. Yale School of Management offers the Yale International Student Loan to all international students. This loan does not need a U.S. co-signer and covers the tuition and fees after deduction of scholarships. The interest rate is fixed at 7.75%.

7. The Darden School of Business and the Darden School Foundation have entered into a multiyear International Loan Program agreement with Discover to provide no co-signer international student loans beginning with the class of 2014. The maximum loan amount is fixed at $65, 000 per year.

8. UCLA Anderson has partnered with Eli Lilly Credit Union to provide no co-signer loans up to $85,000 per year.

9. International students admitted at UNC’s Kenan-Flagler Business School can borrow up to $50,000 per year through the Coastal Federal Credit Union without needing a co-signer.

10. At Olin business School, loan without a U.S. co-signer is being offered though the rates and terms for 2012-13 are yet to be announced. Last year the loan was available for the tuition amount after deducting scholarship at an interest rate of 10%.

11. Emory University’s Goizueta Business School offers its international MBA students Emory Alliance Credit Union Custom MBA Loan under which they can borrow a total of $84,000 for their MBA program.

12. Chicago Booth also provides multiple loan options without requiring a co-signer. Admitted students are able to access details regarding the same.

13. MIT Federal Credit Union provides loan assistance up to $170,000 for students enrolling at MIT Sloan program without the need for a co-borrower.

14. International students admitted at Ross School of Business can avail the RSB-UMCU (Ross School of Business-University of Michigan Credit Union) loan without the need for a co-signer.

15. At Tuck School of Business, numerous options are available for international students. The maximum loan amount is arrived at by doing a need-based analysis by the financial aid office.

The repayment term would vary for each school from a minimum of ten to up to twenty or twenty-five years.

Check with the college for the latest updates like any changes in the interest rates, loan amount or other loan-related aspect before applying for the loan as these tend to change each year.

Instead of just relying on information available on the web (including this list), it would be advisable to get all your queries answered by the financial aid office so that you have complete clarity and you can prepare your MBA financing roadmap accordingly.
Prodigy Finance Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi all - I see most of these questions are from a couple years ago, but hopefully this response will be helpful for current incoming students:
I work for Prodigy Finance, and we offer loans to international students attending the FT top 100 ranked business schools, and we don't require a co-signer.
If you'd like to see the full list of schools we offer loans for, please check out: https://prodigyfinance.com/get_a_loan -- there, you can select your business school of interest from the dropdown list and view the loan terms for your specific school.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Liz
- Prodigy Finance Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM