Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11667 [2]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Re: Low Quant Score - 680 Top Tier B-school applicant [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi,

I would say you need to look at your performance trends in both PS and DS. Usually DS is the one where more effort is needed. But of course it varies from person to person.
Since you are in the 40s, your concepts must be good. Get targeted practice after identifying which area(s) need effort.
I am sure you would do great.
Also try and get the 1st couple of questions right in the actual test, while being careful not to spend disproportionate amount of time on them. It may help push up the score.

Cheers!
TopTierMBA

georgecharlielucy wrote:
Thanks! That means a lot! Do you have any tips on how to bring the quant score up? Thinking about doing math revolution or a private tutor.

toptiermba wrote:
Hi,

Just a word of optimism for you. Usually candidates manage a 30-40 point higher score in a 2nd take because of several reasons including more familiarity with the real exam setting.
Your verbal score is great. I am sure you can push up the quant easily towards a 48-49 range and get your desired score.

All the best.

Cheers !
TopTier

georgecharlielucy wrote:
How did things turn out? I had a similar experience and am stressed about retaking! I took the GMAT yesterday and got a 680 Q41, V42. Bummed about the Quant score and worried that I won't be able to up my score to around 720-730 by March 31st when I retake. I'm applying to HBS and Stanford in April, so the deadline is approaching! Would love any advice you have!!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
I would recommend checking out TTP as I have heard so many great things about them and certainly believe it. Your verbal is very impressive and should have no problem increasing your quant!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 680 Q41 V42
Send PM
How did things turn out? I had a similar experience and am stressed about retaking! I took the GMAT yesterday and got a 680 Q41, V42. Bummed about the Quant score and worried that I won't be able to up my score to around 720-730 by March 31st when I retake. I'm applying to HBS and Stanford in April, so the deadline is approaching! Would love any advice you have!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks! That means a lot! Do you have any tips on how to bring the quant score up? Thinking about doing math revolution or a private tutor.

toptiermba wrote:
Hi,

Just a word of optimism for you. Usually candidates manage a 30-40 point higher score in a 2nd take because of several reasons including more familiarity with the real exam setting.
Your verbal score is great. I am sure you can push up the quant easily towards a 48-49 range and get your desired score.

All the best.

Cheers !
TopTier

georgecharlielucy wrote:

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich! Thank you so much for your feedback. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me!

Practice CATs:
MGMAT diagnosis (11/18): 620 Q38 V36
MGMAT (1/6): 640 Q40 V37
MGMAT (1/28): 640 Q42 V36
MGMAT (2/14): 680 Q44 V38
GMAC Prep Test (3/4): 690 Q44 V40
Actual GMAT (3/9): 680 Q41 V42

I've been studying since November and did a full Manhattan Prep online course. Since then, I self-studied by going through the GMAT club quant book chapters in content that I was weak on and making study guides, then doing practice problems out of the OG and on GMATClub. I did this until I got through the whole book.

November - early February I studied ~10-15 hours a week.
February - March, I ramped it up and have been studying ~30 hours a week.
Luckily, I'm a senior in college and have the spare time to be able to commit up to 40 hours a week to studying and working on applications between now and March 31st retake date.

I realized that my accuracy was much higher under practice conditions. In practice, I get 90% 500 questions right, ~70% of 600s, and a solid amount (~50%) of 700s. In CATs the accuracy drops and silly mistakes on a few 500 level questions put me in a low score category I can't get out of. Even on the Q44 CATs, when I went through the incorrect answers and tried them again with a 2 minute timer before checking the solution, I got almost all of them right the second time around.

I tried to work on this by grinding GMAT club quant tests but my scores are consistently low (in the 30s! much lower than other platforms) and aren't improving. I would really appreciate any tips or advice on how to get there! I just gotta be capable of better than Q41 :/

I purchased the ESR! Attached :)
So so appreciate your help!!

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi georgecharlielucy,

While a 680 is a fantastic overall Score, the Q41 might be seen as a 'red flag' (especially at the Schools that you're interested in). Many Business Schools view an Applicant's Quant Scaled Score as an indicator of how that Applicant might handle the 'academic side' of the Program - and a Q41 won't impress anyone. That score implies that you did fairly well on most of the "math" questions that you saw on Test Day, but you made a number of little mistakes throughout the section and you missed out on LOTS of 'strategy-based' points. This is meant to say that by focusing on Quant Tactics, you'll be better able to increase your GMAT Score AND better impress how Business School Admissions Officers will view your potential to handle their respective Programs.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for for this next phase of your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying so far:

1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Attachments

ESR copy_redacted.pdf [533.66 KiB]
Downloaded 51 times

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11667 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi georgecharlielucy,

I've sent you a PM with an analysis of your ESR and some additional notes and questions.

Rich
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [0]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Hi, I think you can try to solve many ps and ds questions available in this forum. Good luck

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
georgecharlielucy wrote:
Hi Rich! Thank you so much for your feedback. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me!

Practice CATs:
MGMAT diagnosis (11/18): 620 Q38 V36
MGMAT (1/6): 640 Q40 V37
MGMAT (1/28): 640 Q42 V36
MGMAT (2/14): 680 Q44 V38
GMAC Prep Test (3/4): 690 Q44 V40
Actual GMAT (3/9): 680 Q41 V42

I've been studying since November and did a full Manhattan Prep online course. Since then, I self-studied by going through the GMAT club quant book chapters in content that I was weak on and making study guides, then doing practice problems out of the OG and on GMATClub. I did this until I got through the whole book.

November - early February I studied ~10-15 hours a week.
February - March, I ramped it up and have been studying ~30 hours a week.
Luckily, I'm a senior in college and have the spare time to be able to commit up to 40 hours a week to studying and working on applications between now and March 31st retake date.

I realized that my accuracy was much higher under practice conditions. In practice, I get 90% 500 questions right, ~70% of 600s, and a solid amount (~50%) of 700s. In CATs the accuracy drops and silly mistakes on a few 500 level questions put me in a low score category I can't get out of. Even on the Q44 CATs, when I went through the incorrect answers and tried them again with a 2 minute timer before checking the solution, I got almost all of them right the second time around.

I tried to work on this by grinding GMAT club quant tests but my scores are consistently low (in the 30s! much lower than other platforms) and aren't improving. I would really appreciate any tips or advice on how to get there! I just gotta be capable of better than Q41 :/

I purchased the ESR! Attached :)
So so appreciate your help!!

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi georgecharlielucy,

While a 680 is a fantastic overall Score, the Q41 might be seen as a 'red flag' (especially at the Schools that you're interested in). Many Business Schools view an Applicant's Quant Scaled Score as an indicator of how that Applicant might handle the 'academic side' of the Program - and a Q41 won't impress anyone. That score implies that you did fairly well on most of the "math" questions that you saw on Test Day, but you made a number of little mistakes throughout the section and you missed out on LOTS of 'strategy-based' points. This is meant to say that by focusing on Quant Tactics, you'll be better able to increase your GMAT Score AND better impress how Business School Admissions Officers will view your potential to handle their respective Programs.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for for this next phase of your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying so far:

1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Rich

HI! Happy to help you improve your quant score. I feel you can do it. Just a matter of getting some more practice and self-belief. How many official practice exams have you given? When are you planning to take the exam next?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [0]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Low Quant Score - 680 Top Tier B-school applicant [#permalink]
How did things turn out? Have you complete your MBA? Which final score did you use for your application to top tier biz school? Would love to hear that

GMAT Club Bot
Low Quant Score - 680 Top Tier B-school applicant [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts