Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Ugrad: Indiana University Kelley School of Business
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [1]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Re: MGMAT CAT's - My Scores so Far... [#permalink]
Kudos
gauravmarwaha wrote:
GMAT PREP - Test1
Score - 680
Quant - 47
Verbal - 35

I am not so satisfied with my performance and I believe that there is a lot of room for improvement.

Overall Difficulty Level - Medium
Focus Areas - DS and RC
Revise my notes and bookmarked questions

Fellow warriors, please do share your prep experiences / scores too...It does help a lot!!!

Hi Gaurav,

I would quote your words "Persistence is the key". For quant there are a bunch of resources my two favourites are
-GMAT Club Tests
- MGMAT Advanced Quant.
One for stamina, other for power respectively.
For Verbal, you have mentioned several resources, have you gone through them all ?
What's your target score - looks like 720+ to me.
"Hold on to your dreams, just believe that you can , nothing is going to stop you, that's the story of the man."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
I'm scheduled to take my test 1 week after you. You certainly have taken more practice exams than I have! I think your progress has been great but you've got to figure our what's holding your back in verbal. Can we see an analysis of types of questions wrong?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rollingface wrote:
I'm scheduled to take my test 1 week after you. You certainly have taken more practice exams than I have! I think your progress has been great but you've got to figure our what's holding your back in verbal. Can we see an analysis of types of questions wrong?

Thanks a lot for your reply and of course all the best for your prep!!...Here's an analysis of my tests from MGMAT:
CONTENT AREA Total Right Wrong % Right
Critical Reasoning 70 39 31 56%
Reading Comprehension 60 31 29 52%
Sentence Correction 75 44 31 59%

Weakest Area - In inference type questions (Both in CR and RC)
Weaken Conclusion - CR
Evaluate a Conclusion - CR
Now, my query is that are MGMAT tests a true representation / somewhere near to the real GMAT exams?...On the other note, I am making sure that I devote a good amount of time to my studies - results are just a by-product :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Apologies for the typos in that first reply, texting leads to inaccuracy! I actually took my first MGmat CAT today and scored a 710 too! Feeling great as that's a 20 point improvement over the gmat prep exam I took a month ago.

So looking at your breakdowns, I was expecting to much more variation across categories but that's not the case. If it was me in your situation, I would try to look deeper into the questions you missed. Were you able to narrow down to 2 possible correct answers and then just picked the wrong one or was it a total comprehension miss? The more you're able to pinpoint exactly what you're struggling with the better you'll be able to develop a strategy to hedge those weak spots.

Let us know if you can figure it out and keep up the good work!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rollingface wrote:
Apologies for the typos in that first reply, texting leads to inaccuracy! I actually took my first MGmat CAT today and scored a 710 too! Feeling great as that's a 20 point improvement over the gmat prep exam I took a month ago.

So looking at your breakdowns, I was expecting to much more variation across categories but that's not the case. If it was me in your situation, I would try to look deeper into the questions you missed. Were you able to narrow down to 2 possible correct answers and then just picked the wrong one or was it a total comprehension miss? The more you're able to pinpoint exactly what you're struggling with the better you'll be able to develop a strategy to hedge those weak spots.

Let us know if you can figure it out and keep up the good work!

Thanks for the reply...Your score on the very firs MGMAT is very good!....Mine was a paltry 580 in the first one, followed by even lower - 520 in the second!!...But I immediately did some introspection immediately after my second exam and realized that without doubt it was me who landed myself into such a situation....So a little bit of time management and a very strict schedule brought some improvements....As you pointed our correctly, yes I am able to narrow down to 2 possible correct answers most of the times, but then I fall for the trap. Taking this into consideration, I make sure that I do revise my mistakes and then based on them, make some notes.
My focus in the coming week - Reading Comprehension and Data Sufficiency. I want to target on accuracy, rather than on speed. In addition to this, I will continue to sit for mock tests (section-wise)....And yes, all the best for your remaining tests and preparation...Keep up the wonderful job and stay blessed!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Foster (I)
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V24
GPA: 3.74
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Gaurav,
I am a MGMAT student as well. Currently I am struggling with my verbal. What did you do to push your Verbal score from 34 to 38?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Very interesting break down of scores. I plan on taking the MGMAT CAT soon, hopefully I can use you as a reference as I am trying to get my score up from 600 to 720!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
udvranto wrote:
Gaurav,
I am a MGMAT student as well. Currently I am struggling with my verbal. What did you do to push your Verbal score from 34 to 38?

Dear Friend, thanks for your message...And an interesting question, because I had not evaluated my own performance in the tests, till the time one of our fellow warriors asked me for the breakdown...Anyways, you can follow the following simple steps to improve your verbal score:
1) List the three sections based on your priority - in my case I took RC extremely seriously, then the CR and on the last spot was SC.
2) Select source for your study
For RC - OG12 of course!, 3000 RC (amazing stuff)
For CR - OG 12, 1000 CR (only the GMAT tests, don't waste your time in LSAT questions), Official Guide for CR (many questions do overlap with the official guide), GMAT prep CR - download it from gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html
For SC - 1000 SC (please do all of them!!), do go through the MGMAT SC, OG 12
3) Look into your schedule ad put in some real dedicated efforts to practice these resources
Now, the key point here is that do not try to pace yourself in the start - just try to be accurate, you will have problems in the beginning but with time you will surely get familiar with the question types, formats etc.
BOTTOMLINE - Focus on the logic, timing will tune itself with time(Trust me!!)
Finally, forums are a wonderful resource - use them wisely (GMAT Club forums have helped me a lot!!), and yes PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!! - Stay blessed and work hard!!

P.S. - Let's help and motivate each other, who knows the guy you are helping might turn out to be your future classmate (pun-intended :-D )
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT PREP - Test1
Score - 680
Quant - 47
Verbal - 35

I am not so satisfied with my performance and I believe that there is a lot of room for improvement.

Overall Difficulty Level - Medium
Focus Areas - DS and RC
Revise my notes and bookmarked questions

Fellow warriors, please do share your prep experiences / scores too...It does help a lot!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Come on warriors, your valuable feedback is required!!...Keep rocking!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
I have always gotten high 600's to 710 on the Manhattan tests, but my GMAT's were both at 640...

I have been advised to give the GMAT one more go to get off the WL at my #1 choice. My GMAT is just under the median....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Thank you for the advice gaurav! I plan on setting a do date soon, hopefully that will kick my motivation up a notch and help my studying.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yekrut wrote:
Thank you for the advice gaurav! I plan on setting a do date soon, hopefully that will kick my motivation up a notch and help my studying.

All the best for your plans...keep rocking!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
novanative wrote:
I have always gotten high 600's to 710 on the Manhattan tests, but my GMAT's were both at 640...

I have been advised to give the GMAT one more go to get off the WL at my #1 choice. My GMAT is just under the median....

Well, I wish you all the best at this stage, work hard and be blessed!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear Abhi,

Thanks for your post...Yes, I have gone through all the resources listed by me (for Verbal) and I am on the verge of finishing them. For quant, I am relying on practice from the OG 12 book , Nova math Bible (pretty decent), Kaplan CD (again decent for building up strict time limits), 800 score tests, retired GMAC tests and of course regular practice from the forums. I have not given a try to GMAT Club tests, but have heard good reviews about them.

Now, I reviewed my GMAT prep exam earlier in the morning and learnt that the mistakes I committed during my test were very basic (Answers marked incorrectly, panic in some questions, not read the question properly)...But I have to admit that there were some genuine mistakes too and I need to devote time in a lot more areas such as:
Reading Comprehension - Practice and better comprehension - Read the para with more concentration, understand the gist and not to get off the track by complex language or terminologies. Absolute comprehension required for CR questions.
Inference Questions - Biggest Challenge, proper comprehension required!!
Sentence Correction - Well, I think I was a bit over-confident with this league of questions - need to go back to the basics
Data Sufficiency - Knowledge of basic mathematical concepts is a must, though a calculated guess helps most of the times (trust me!!)
Problem Solving - PRACTICE and revise my mistakes

Most important part is learning from the mistakes and yes BE HUMBLE AND NEVER GIVE UP!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
What I found helpful when it comes to CR (apparently my strong area) is to read the question, read the statement, answer the question BEFORE reading the answer choices. It helped my accuracy from 65% to 87% with average difficulty right 730 and average difficulty wrong 760. Give it a shot... cant make things worse!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
wallstreetbarbie wrote:
What I found helpful when it comes to CR (apparently my strong area) is to read the question, read the statement, answer the question BEFORE reading the answer choices. It helped my accuracy from 65% to 87% with average difficulty right 730 and average difficulty wrong 760. Give it a shot... cant make things worse!

Thanks for the reply Wallstreetbarbie! So basically the main point I can comprehend from your post is that one should try and evaluate the reasoning behind the argument (and possibly look for an answer/possible reasoning) before going through the options (which might distort one's actual thought process). Well, I have never done that, but will definitely give it a try...today!!

Stay blessed and stay motivated!!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2