Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [15]
Given Kudos: 916
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Send PM
Re: Mission: Possible - Rogue Exam -> 740 (Q49, V41, IR 6, AWA 6) [#permalink]
Hey, guys!

Thanks to all of you reaching out via PMs and here within the thread! I'd love to answer all your questions so just shoot!

I'm really glad that we all agree that more often than not we just have to wait for our moment to come! Nevertheless, I still hope that with the admissions process it won't take me 4 times :P

Take care!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [0]
Given Kudos: 176
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Perseverance and commitment can create history. You proved it amigo!

Congratulations. Binge watch on Netflix may be!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
excellent story of NeverSayNo attitude.
Please list out the resources and challenges faced along with the tips to reach a score above 40 in verbal.
Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 2: 590 Q49 V22
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
Dear GMAT community,
From my point of view I can confirm every point made by bgpower, especially #2 and #6

Dear bgpower,
As you could see from my profile, I've come a similar long way to 740 (my GMAT story started in November of 2012).
Thank you for sharing your great story.

Dear GMAT fighters, do not hesitate to contact me if you are stuck and need some help to move on or even if you just started your GMAT journey.
Even though I'd love to change much of what I did while I was prepairing for GMAT and TOEFL tests ist's highly possible that I will be able to give you some piece of advice in order to make your dream score a bit closer.

Best regards,
vfqrk
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks so much, guys!

vfqrk23: We really had a pretty similar fight with the exam! Congrats on the score!

Mechmeera: That's a tough one! As I told you via PM, at the end it turned out that for me Verbal was easier to improve than Quant. In my first attempt I got a Q44/V34. I was definitely unhappy with the MGMAT/CR Bible prep set I had chosen. Please don't get me wrong - those books are wonderful and I'm sure you can get your score with them as well, but I just was re-born in the day I started using @GMATPill's prep materials. As an international applicant I just had huge problems working with all those terms as "descriptive phrase" and that's why the simple but very efficient process of Zeke Lee made sense. I still believe that the GMAT and especially the much feared SC section do NOT expect you to dig deep in order to find the right answer. Most of the time (~95%), it's going to be a "more - than" split or a "as-much-as" structure and you just have to know what's to follow. I do think that people on the GC sometimes take extreme routes to come to an answer, especially with SC.

With RC things are way more straightforward. Here the pills also made more sense to me, though in the end I just found what's working for me, namely - I read the passage once and slowly before all questions, trying to imaging the role of every paragraph within the text (still without painting or writing anything). Through trial and error, I had just found out that this works best for me. Nevertheless, I paid also increased attention to key words and turning points (e.g. "however").

It may not be what you want to hear, but CR is just about practice. There is a finite number of question types and you just need to get the reasoning. Answer choices are sometimes are far-fetched (those cases can be very difficult), but for example boldface questions are extremely easy to handle if you just don't care about the meaning as is, but focus on the role of each sentence from the very beginning. So you start reading (no look at the answer choices), you read the first sentence and you think what this is - a conclusion, a claim, an argument to back up another claim, etc. - and you move on. You repeat the entire process for every sentence and in the end, 1 or 2 of the answer choices will be pretty similar.

Bottom line, I won't hide - Verbal was also difficult for me. But I think by applying the above, you can easily get above 40. Having scored 44 on an official exam, I know the difference is subtle. I may even say that everything above say 42-43 can be equally attributed to the content of the passages you get. There should be a certain click and sometimes, this is just a question of pure luck!

Please let me know if you have further questions. I'd be glad to answer them.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Congratulations! This is a great story of perseverance and determination. Best of luck on your future endeavors!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks, GMATPILLBILL! I appreciate it!

I want to reiterate something I didn't write in my initial debrief, namely, that if I had to start today, I would always choose an online course over books. It may be just me, but I firmly believe this is the easier way to do it. Now, back in the days, for quite some time I was weighing different courses (especially GMATPill vs. e-GMAT), because on the one hand I loved e-GMAT's rudimental verbal explanation videos and, on the other, I was just amazed by this very video, in which Zeke Lee explains combinatorics and probabilities. As I was really frustrated by learning the entire quant/verbal terminology, I decided to go with GMATPill and I haven't regretted it for a second! I don't want to sound like a fanboy (and I certainly can't and don't want to evaluate all other courses out there), but I was and still am very happy with my choice.

Whoever is thinking about using the pills, do not hesitate to reach out! I'll gladly share my 2 cents!

Rock it!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts